VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post ever on this board. I would like to know if any of you are making your own yogurt and where you can buy the cultures in the US?

I am about to move from Germany to the States and would like to keep making my own yogurt, but have no clue where to look for the cultures.

Hope I am not offending any vegans here, I am an o-l-vegetarian.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Since you're a veggie, you could purchase a container of yogurt with live cultures to get a starter going, couldn't you? For vegans, I think that this is possible with soy yogurt, as well. I was looking into this the other day out of curiousity, but I have not made any soy/yogurt.

Sorry, I know that this isn't very helpful. Maybe someone who has experience making soy/yogurt can be of more help!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply pixiemagic, but unfortunately, as to using yogurt as a starter.. the results are not the same, and the yogurt I have bought in supermarkets while visiting the US did not seem to be just yogurt, I have the suspicion that they add gelatin to it, or something. *sigh*

BTW, there are cultures that work with both milk AND soymilk, at least here in Germany (and they are made in a lab, thus can be used by vegans as well). I am sure you can find them in the US also, but so far, google was no help, so I thought I'd try to find an answer here.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
doola - I made my own when I was in high school; I used yogurt purchased from the health food store as my starter. It's been so long - I can't remember the specifics, but the book I had said buy natural yogurt with live cultures in it as a starter. Turned out really good too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply dvmarie. Didn't think anyone else was going to post a reply.
It seems that making your own yogurt is not a big thing over there.

I use yogurt as a starter only in desperate situations, but I prefer the "naked" cultures, because the results are usually better, and also, because I try to avoid trash whenever possible. And bought yogurts in the States come only in plastic containers with aluminum covers, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
In the US most of the yogurts contain gelatin. Stonyfield farms doesn't, though, it's organic.
It's really good! So if you want to use yogurt to make yogurt i suggest stonyfield farms. I don't know the first thing about making yogurt so i'm not much help...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.