VeggieBoards banner

Non dairy, "dairy" products help.

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  maggiesdaddy 
#1 ·
Today is day 6 of transitioning away from dairy. Going well so far. I was already using rice milk on things like cereal and smoothie making and Earth Balance instead of butter. I had also found Diaya (not sure on spelling) cheese shreds that I find tasty. Oh and soy yogurt. So yesterday I went to do a bit of shopping and was happy to find non-dairy sour cream and cream cheese. Problem is, they both taste horrible. No big problem as I can do without these no issue since i didn't eat them much to begin with, but thought I would give them a try.

Now I am stuck with two products I don't like. Any ideas on what else I could use them for that might make them taste okay? Dips, sauces etc? I'd be very grateful as I don't want to just throw away brand new stuff I just paid good money for.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I like tofutti sour cream, though I'm not a big fan of their cream cheese. You should try those if they aren't the ones you already have and hate.

You can add some spices and/or citrus and use them as dressings or dips. Thin them out with some oil or water if you need to.

#3 ·
I've noticed that with a lot of fake products, like the fake sour creams and especially the fake cream cheese, the product by itself tastes...off... But, if you try cooking with it in the same way you'd normally cook with the real thing, then you can appreciate the fake item. Try making a fake cheesecake out of that fake cream cheese! Mmm....

#4 ·
You can put sour cream in sauces and it might taste less strange. For the cream cheese, you might either make some cream cheese frosting (like for carrot cake) or perhaps use it with some tofu and spices to make a fake cheese for pasta?

I didn't like either sour cream (which reminded me of vomit) or cream cheese before I was vegan, so I'm not sure about suggestions for what's better. Tofutti does make two different kinds of sour "cream", so maybe one is better than the other?

What did you plan to use the cream cheese/sour cream for? Maybe we can suggest some other, homemade type ideas.

#5 ·
Fake cream cheese makes a reasonable pasta sauce... melt it in a saucepan and add garlic and some pepper to mask the taste. Flash-fry some spaghetti in it, top with parsley and serve.

As for the sour cream, maybe try making some vegetable fajitas or something. Get some salsa and some guacamole, use all three as toppings, you may not be able to taste the sour cream so much.

#8 ·
Thank you everyone for the great ideas! I knew you all would have some. lol

@IamJen- I just wanted to use the cream cheese for eating on toast and such which was how I tried it. It wasn't horrific, but the taste was definitely off. I will try it again and see if I like it after a second or third time. Also, will definitely try making frosting out of it. I am currently taking cake decorating classes So that will fit right in. Yayyy. As for the sour cream. My main use for it was going to be on things like tacos and such, but even if I could do the taste, the texture is a no go for me. Not creamy at all, more of a grainy blobby feel. lol

#10 ·
I was always craving cheese stuff until I kicked my *** and just QUIT. No more trying subsitutes, just as if cheese didn't exist. Within 2 months I no longer craved it, in fact, it looks and seems, almost as disgusting as meat.
Good news! I now really like nut. yeast things, for the first time I understand what people meant when they said "cheesy" taste.

#13 ·
For the sour cream, maybe you could try curdling some soya yogurt? My other half sometimes just uses (plain) soy yogurt in place of where sour cream might go (like on tacos). Not sure if it would do the trick for you, but possibly.

#23 ·
I did not read all of the replies, so I am sorry if this was already said.
I have not used these products in over a year, but when I did use them I found them terrible on their own, but very tasted when seasoned the right way.

I think that the cream cheese is good in frostings and as a sweetened "sauce" for fruit pizza. I personally HATE sour cream so I never use it so I don't really know what to say about that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.