VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm no longer a Christian (my father's a pastor, but I just can't believe that Jesus is a 'savior' much less THE Savior). And I'm wondering what Christmas will really mean to me as an adult. How do the rest of you non-Christians view Christmas---as a time to hang out with family? As an irritating competitor to Hannukah? As an excuse to charge your credit cards' limits? Tell me all about it.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
To me, it's time off work, time with my family, food, holiday ales, walking around downtown with a hot coffee in my hand watching my breath dissipate in the air, looking at the twinkle lights in the trees, feeling my scarf provide warmth, and basically a celebration of winter in general.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
That's totally the opposite of Christmas in NZ, it's summer here. We used to have water ballon and water pistol fights when we were younger on my Nana's lawn.

For me it's about finding the perfect gift for people. Figuring out what they want and then seeing how happy I've made them. I guess I'm a bit of a selfish gift giver like that. It's just a time for our family to hang out together, and it's our yearly splurge. We all eat way too much good food and hand out. I love Christmas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually except for the aircraft landing strip at the neighbors because of all their "Merry Christmas" Lights.. I can fairly well ignore it. Well except that hideous blue [and I mean BLUE] Christmas tree they have glowing right in front of my front door when I walk out it. Too much effort to climb up the hill and unplug them...

I avoid the stores but I don't spend much time in them anyways. Once a month for 'all' the stores and twice a month for food stores does it. At Christmas? It's a blessing. However I do keep my self occupied watching mothers smack the daylights out of their kids, scream IF You don't stop Santa won't bring you a thing coupled with AND we will not go to McDonalds... This might be a blessing if you leav out the smacking part...

Right now? It's work. I just looked at the menus I drew up and it dawned on me I need to put up some Vegan Christmas and New Years Menus for the other site. We have Vegetarian.. OY do we have Vegetarian.. Well except Christmas. Lots of Thanksgiving. Lots of New Years.. 1 Christmas. Humm guess it says what I think of it.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
How long has it been since you were a Christian? Probably 6 years for me.

Christmas means cherishing time spent with family. Christmas means thinking of others, through gift giving for family and volunteerism for strangers.

Christmas at the animal shelter is a special time for us. We kick things into gear and work twice as hard to find homes for the animals so they won't have to spend Christmas in a kennel. We have a sleep over at the shelter and spend the night in the same kennel and conditions with the animals. And this year we're clearing out the shelter on Christmas Eve and all the dogs will be going to various volunteers homes for a couple days so if even they aren't adopted yet they'll still at least get to spend Christmas in a home.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My fiance and I are atheist and we feel/act like Christmas is a strictly commercial annual holiday. Obviously, we do not celebrate Christmas.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I'm atheist. For me, Christmas is a time to give and receive presents (the giving being more important that the receiving), and take time off from work and spend it with friends and family, and alone recharging.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Christmas to me means a week long vacation. It means avoiding the stores. It means getting half the productivity out of most people at work between now and then.

Although, we do put a tiny little tree on our kitchen counter because my husband likes the twinkle lights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nothing about Christmas is religious around here, there's a tree, there's presents, there's food. That's Christmas.

I'm Pagan, and the Christian holiday is pretty much based of the pre-existing Pagan holiday, so a lot of the customs are the same. What IS religious and celebrated in our house probably isn't much different from what you'd see in any other house. Like I said, tree, presents, food.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It means vacation, decoration, tradition, big family gatherings, great food, gaining weight, christmas tree , buying and getting presents. We decorate our whole house and chop down a tree at my uncles farm. We decorate it 23. december, and 24th of december is when christmas is celebrated in Norway. the 25th is a regualr day, I spend it with my new presents

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

So, I'm no longer a Christian (my father's a pastor, but I just can't believe that Jesus is a 'savior' much less THE Savior). And I'm wondering what Christmas will really mean to me as an adult. How do the rest of you non-Christians view Christmas---as a time to hang out with family? As an irritating competitor to Hannukah? As an excuse to charge your credit cards' limits? Tell me all about it.
I'm still a Christian in that I believe in the Trinity, but Xmas stopped being about Jesus for me a long time ago. Xmas in America is about Santa, it's about office parties, it's about the bling, babeee!

I enjoy the holidays, but December 25 is not God's birthday. It can be a wonderful family time, or it can be a time that kills your budget and wrecks your nerves.

I think that if one is a believer, one should celebrate God year round. JMHO

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
I like Xmas because basically, it's just another excuse for me to throw another party, but in all honesty, I have to admit that it doesn't really mean anything to me. It's just for kids. I dont buy presents for anyone (except my SO) and I dont put up xmas trees or decorations or any of that stuff.

I put extra lights up inside and outside my house but that's not really got a lot to do with xmas itself, it's just because I have a bit of an obsession with flashy lights and xmas gives me more of an excuse to indulge myself

·
Registered
927 Posts
I observe the winter solstice, rather than Christmas. My daughter and I stay up through the longest night; it's a wonderful way to get in touch with the cycle of the sun and the seasons, and appreciate the quietude of winter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My whole family is non-christian but we have been celebrating the holiday for years. we see it as a way to bring everyone together and show our appreciation for family.

·
Baby Love
5,812 Posts
For me, Christmas is about spending time with family, being nostalgic, and making an extra effort to help those in need.

KPickell, your doggy sleepovers sound extra sweet

... This is really off-topic, but you reminded me and I had to post it somewhere ... Addie, my rescued mutt, turns six today!

·
Registered
995 Posts
The "christmas" season is made up of several holidays and not just christian ones.

I celebrate Yule and I do not mean Yule as in the archaic terms for Christmas either, I mean the pagan holiday that starts on the winter solstice.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I celebrate the solstice. I believe that was the original celebration for the time period. Yule is actually a lesser holiday in the circle of the year, so there is less intrest in it, and some years it is very low-key, usually just modest decorations (straw weaving), and a special meal. If any presents are given they are usually hand-made by friends or by the giver. (Real presents are given to each person on their own birthday). Each holiday is a period of renewal, and a chance to catch your breath and start again. I usually also hold a renewal ceremony at each of the cross quarters of the year. A few days before, I clean and then sage out the house, prepare items for donation to charity, and spend a few days contemplating what I should keep and what I should get rid of-- false friends, physical garbage, bad carreer choices, bad karma, looser emotional paths, ect,... and work out stratagies for the coming year, so actually Yule is when we make our "resolutions" too.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Growing up, Christmas meant fun TV specials, singing Chritmas carols (I actually used to go caroling door to door with friends even though I'm Jewish, and my family used to sing them around the piano just because we liked them), and going out for a movie and Chinese food on actual Christmas (Day or Eve? I forget.) In New York on Christmas the movie theaters and Chinese restaurants are full of Jews.

Now as an adult, I still enjoy watching those TV specials, but that's about it. I do get three weeks off though. Gotta love college schedules!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts