VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or have you experienced a situation where you have had to tell someone you are veg*n (personally, I don't flaunt it, but will certainly sit down and discuss it if asked) and then they act like you just came down with a deadly disease??!? I haven't been vegetarian for very long, but every now and then when I tell someone they just act like something is wrong with me. They stare at me with that look.. you know the one where someone's jaw drops to the floor? They become uncomfortable, like they think this "disease" I have is contagious. I find it quite amusing.

Tell me your experiences with telling someone you were veg*n that you found amusing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Well, can't say I've ever had a reaction quite as bad as that! However, I have had the forced smile and the dazed look from time to time.
Believe me, you will get used to it. You will always find people like this everywhere. They usually haven't a clue what a veg*n really is!! and become
uncomfortable because they A. Think you are about to either lecture or criticise them, and B. Don't know how to take something so alien to them!
Unfortunately it is a fact that there are still plenty of people out there, who cannot understand how someone can suddenly stop eating meat and
"Why would you want to anyway?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
If people ask me to sit down in those situations it's so I stop towering over them and making them afraid of my browbeating them for dumb replies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
One charming person I'd just met in a pub responded with 'Oh, I'm sorry about that!' Needless to say, we didnt stay in touch.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonface88 View Post

One charming person I'd just met in a pub responded with 'Oh, I'm sorry about that!' Needless to say, we didnt stay in touch.
Yeah, I've had the "Oh I am sorry about that!" comment far too many times..

Also had "but you're too fat to be vegetarian!"

I think one of my favourite ones is when people try to hide the fact that they're eating meat in front of me.. Makes me giggle...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
I haven't had that exact experience, but I had a "friend" who, if I said something random and insane, which can happen with me a lot, she'd say, "Oh, it must be the vegetarian coming out", and the first time this happened, shortly after she found out I'd gone vegan, I said, "What do you mean?", really confused, and then she said, "Well, when people don't eat meat they start to say crazy things and stuff until they have to be put in an asylum or something", and she was really serious, and actually had pity in her voice. I was shocked for half a moment, and then I shot back, "Nope, I don't have an excuse, I'm just naturally insane, sorry" as she didn't know me before I went vegan. Needless to say, after a few more comments like that on top of some racist comments against my friends and I, we were no longer "friends".
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmio View Post

Wow, that's horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post

Wow, that's so not cool.
yeah I know
It really upsets me because now people think I'm "too skinny" because of my vegetarian diet and that's not true at all. I don't want people to assume that a vegetarian lifestyle is unhealthy and automatically dismiss the thought of becoming one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Whenever I tell someone I'm a vegetarian they turn into an expert nutritionist like I haven't researched what I'm doing. Then they always act like I'm afraid of their meat or disgusted by it when they're eating it and they say "oh, I forgot, you're doing the vegetarian thing." spuh! I guess I have more pent up annoyance than I thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

"oh really, I just thought you were anorexic"
...........rude.
HUGS I know I have had people say stuff like that to me too. Its really cruel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
I usually get the, " I could never give up meat it tastes too good" reaction. As if I had just asked or told them that they must give it up. Sometimes they will go on and on about how much they love meat until I have to say something rude to shut them up or leave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,609 Posts
I've never had someone have a reaction as bad as that. The one that I got recently was "I could never do that. I just love meat..." and they go on to tell you about how they love meat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
I've been told i'm too fat to be a vegetarian... (which i'm not fat, i'm average sized)
I've also been told that all vegetarians live in guilt every meal, and that's why I eat this way...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I've never had someone have a reaction as bad as that. The one that I got recently was "I could never do that. I just love meat..." and they go on to tell you about how they love meat.
I get that a lot.
I also get, "well aren't you hungry?" or "wow- that must be really limiting!"
One time I posted on my FB that I was vegan 3 weeks and got backlash like none other. It turned into an argument between 2 friends of mine I had to delete the entire thing.
At a wedding last friday I called ahead and had them prepare me and my husband a vegan meal and everyone at my table seemed to have a problem with it. I really didn't see the big deal, and just kept joking that I was saving the bride and groom money. Hopefully that made them feel bad for saying anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
The worse reaction I get is from Christians that they they are holier then tho . They thing that the verse some place I think in timothy I believe not sure that those that refrain from marrying and meats are doctrine of devils. They also said that God gave us meats to eat. I was like Thanks for calling me a big sinner. This is one of the reasons why I am changing my beliefs around because I hate the holier then thou crap now.
The reaction of my mom when I told her a few year ago at Christmas time I am limiting my meat intake and I am looking into Vegetarian lifestyle, she said well Meats are not all that good for you to eat all the time. I hope this willl lead to weight loss.
Then when I told my one sister she thought I was going all Vegan, it was too soon to tell where I was going but I am still working on the future to be Vegan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

The worse reaction I get is from Christians that they they are holier then tho . They thing that the verse some place I think in timothy I believe not sure that those that refrain from marrying and meats are doctrine of devils. They also said that God gave us meats to eat. I was like Thanks for calling me a big sinner. This is one of the reasons why I am changing my beliefs around because I hate the holier then thou crap now.
The reaction of my mom when I told her a few year ago at Christmas time I am limiting my meat intake and I am looking into Vegetarian lifestyle, she said well Meats are not all that good for you to eat all the time. I hope this willl lead to weight loss.
Then when I told my one sister she thought I was going all Vegan, it was too soon to tell where I was going but I am still working on the future to be Vegan.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...-3&version=KJV

The people using that passage in Timothy to condemn your diet don't know what they're talking about. It's not condemning veg*nism or not marrying. It's condemning forbidding OTHERS to marry or eat meat. It doesn't say that no one can voluntarily abstain. You must also keep in mind that factory farming didn't exist back then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...-3&version=KJV

The people using that passage in Timothy to condemn your diet don't know what they're talking about. It's not condemning veg*nism or not marrying. It's condemning forbidding OTHERS to marry or eat meat. It doesn't say that no one can voluntarily abstain. You must also keep in mind that factory farming didn't exist back then.
Yes I agree, my husband even said that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

Yes I agree, my husband even said that.
The Bible is always construed and quoted to say whatever people want it to say. Any time they pull something like that just ask them why wives aren't silent and submissive to their husbands or why they aren't tithing. In my mind any Christian who is actively seeking to judge others is not being a very good follower of Christ.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top