VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i am new to the forum and have been a vegetarian for a week and a half now. i usually don't cook my own meals i'll order out or eat whatever my family cooks. but since i've changed my eating habits i have been making my own veggie meals. both successful and unsuccessful. but i am not getting much support from some family members. they say that i will become malnurished because i need protein from meat and they make fun of my eating habits which kind of hurts when your not sure of what your doing. i am having my doubts but i don't want to go back[to eating meat]. Any advice?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Educate yourself. It's easily possible to have a healthier diet as a vegetarian than any meat-eating diet. But if you don't pay attention to certain nutrients you need (vitamin B12, iron, omega-3 fatty acids, etc), it is possible to be unhealthy as a vegetarian. This is probably why you hear of people who go back to eating meat after being veg for a while and getting sick.

I really like the book "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis. You should be able to find it at most book stores, or maybe even the local library.

As for dealing with the family, point out that it's your choice, you're not trying to convert them, and you would appreciate if they'd leave you alone about it. Then cook vegetarian meals for yourself that make them drool.

--Fromper

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
^^^^^ What he said!

Fromper and I are the VB 'Becoming Vegetarian' pimps. Seriously- they should think about paying us royalties!

Seriously though, the more education about and experience with the vegetarian diet you have, the easier it gets. Being able to refute peoples arguments and turn them back on them works for me if I really need to get into that.

If someone asks me if I get enough protein (and they are being annoying, not genuinely inquisitive), I'll say something like, we'll what's enough protein? Generally, they won't know the awnser, so I will educate them. For my body weight, caloric requirements, and activity level, I generally need around 30-35 grams a day. I get that from a varied diet rich in whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, soymilk and the ocassional mock meat product.

I can do the same for pretty much all the major nutrients, like calcium, b-12, omega-3's and for many vitamins and minerals.

This is something I have to be in the mood for, and it helps that I like to educate people, and I have a head for random knowledge. It's not appropriate in every senario though. I just use that one for family members, co-workers, close friends, and people who are pissing me off

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

^^^^^ What he said!

Fromper and I are the VB 'Becoming Vegetarian' pimps. Seriously- they should think about paying us royalties!

Seriously though, the more education about and experience with the vegetarian diet you have, the easier it gets. Being able to refute peoples arguments and turn them back on them works for me if I really need to get into that.

If someone asks me if I get enough protein (and they are being annoying, not genuinely inquisitive), I'll say something like, we'll what's enough protein? Generally, they won't know the awnser, so I will educate them. For my body weight, caloric requirements, and activity level, I generally need around 30-35 grams a day. I get that from a varied diet rich in whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, soymilk and the ocassional mock meat product.

I can do the same for pretty much all the major nutrients, like calcium, b-12, omega-3's and for many vitamins and minerals.

This is something I have to be in the mood for, and it helps that I like to educate people, and I have a head for random knowledge. It's not appropriate in every senario though. I just use that one for family members, co-workers, close friends, and people who are pissing me off
Heh. We're the veggie pimps.

30-35 grams of protein per day??? I'm not a big guy, but I shoot for nearly double that. I think I had that much just for lunch today.

But yeah, protein's the biggest myth about vegetarians. There's protein in everything, so getting enough isn't tough. Some good sources that most people probably already eat regularly anyway are bread, peanut butter, pasta, and peas. Add in nuts, tofu, beans, soy milk, musrhooms, and fake meat products, and you'll have no problem getting more than enough protein, without even really trying.

--Fromper

·
Registered
800 Posts
Congratulations on becoming vegetarian!

Remember you're not alone with the unsupportive comments - there are maaany posts on here from people saying the same things as you! It's likely to get easier the longer you are vegetarian, at the moment it's a new change and you've chosen a lifestyle that's different from theirs so they feel the need to react (defensively), but eventually they will just get used to it and not feel the need to comment all the time.

Learning to cook your own meals is a very good step, and once you've had more practice you will be making your family envious 'cos your food will look so much better than theirs
Have a look for some vegetarian nutrition info so that you know you're eating healthily. http://www.vegsoc.org/info/basic-nutrition.html is a good place to start. And don't take any notice of the 'you'll die if you don't eat meat' stuff. I mean, all of us here on this forum are still alive...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have also read the Becoming Vegetarian. It helps you with arguements and educated you about nutrients you need. I love it. It is my veggie handbook.

·
Registered
215 Posts
People will throw the protein thing at you a lot. Just remember to say you can easily get it from any plant source since there is basically protein in everything. Heck, when I eat a pbnj sandwich on some good bread, I get 20 grams of protein right there. Depending on how much you're supposed to get, that's about half the day's worth! If you're in a particularly not nice mood you could always say you've bothered to educate yourself on this and they haven't so they should mind their own business.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macylee36 View Post

People will throw the protein thing at you a lot. Just remember to say you can easily get it from any plant source since there is basically protein in everything. Heck, when I eat a pbnj sandwich on some good bread, I get 20 grams of protein right there. Depending on how much you're supposed to get, that's about half the day's worth! If you're in a particularly not nice mood you could always say you've bothered to educate yourself on this and they haven't so they should mind their own business.

That's the edge I go for when people get pushy and shovey about my being vegan.

"I did the research. You didn't. Please take your ignorance somewhere else."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macylee36 View Post

Totally agree with the protein. I've never had to worry about it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi and welcome to this forum

ok well first i just wanna say i go through the same thing... then i found this forum and found things so much easier.. and ive been and vegetarian for 4 months now and iam thinkin of going vegan.. but anyway my parents aren't happy with me being a vegetarian because he thinks its too extreme (my nan said i was ganna die)....

i know stupid huh..danna how he is going to be when i say iam going vegan (my family just didnt and still dont understand me however now its been some time they are coming to terms with it) lol but the point of me tellin you my story to to help you understand that people are going through the same as you..

When i first joined this forum the things that helped me most was the people telling me that they understood what i was saying and that they had gone through the same thing as me..

so we are all here for u
and message me if you ever want to talk

Rachel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allieberrie View Post

hello everyone i am new to the forum and have been a vegetarian for a week and a half now. i usually don't cook my own meals i'll order out or eat whatever my family cooks. but since i've changed my eating habits i have been making my own veggie meals. both successful and unsuccessful. but i am not getting much support from some family members. they say that i will become malnurished because i need protein from meat and they make fun of my eating habits which kind of hurts when your not sure of what your doing. i am having my doubts but i don't want to go back[to eating meat]. Any advice?
Just enjoy yourself and you food, just go to the shops and buy some sauces (check the labels for meat or fish) and buy plenty of different types of veggies, I'm a real Mushroom fan myself, a sucker for soya sauce and noodle with a hint of Chilli's , its really that simple.

Grab a load of recipe books but don't use em! just stick em on the shelf to tell you family "hey look, it's ok to be Veggie".

Me, i've been veggie for 27 years and have never taken any supplements or proteins stuff (i'll leave that to the vegans) or anything else, i'm 6ft 4" tall (1.9m) and weigh 18st (252 lb).

I can come round and talk sense to you buddies if you like

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats on you choice!! Baby steps. If you have the occasional slip here or there, remember this is something you are working towards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts