VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Im a lacto-ovo vegetarian. My reasons for this is because i dont like how meat looks, tastes, feels,smells or anything, Plus when i used to eat meat i would feel really sick. So i became a lacto-ovo vegetarian because i like milk and eggs and i dont have health issues with these products. Well when i told my mom she was okay with it and would make my dinner a little different. With time my brothers, sisters, and parents started to really get on my case. Nobody in my family supports my decision, and i find it very hard because they want me to be meat eaters like them. It is very hard to deal with at every meal, When i have money and i buy me vegetarian food they eat it! i get very upset because i dont eat their meat, What can i do to let them be a little more understanding?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't know about being more supportive ,but is there any way to tell them to back off your food and make a spacific spot or put your name on it so they know it's yours. I mean they should find other things to eat or they can become vegetarians themselves if they're lovign your food so much. For my anything thats mine i usually mark, put in a spacific spot in the freezer(and let everyone clearly know) or put it in "my" fridge. Lol It's basically the fridge in the laundry room where me and my sister put our health-food, vegan/vegetarian stuff that no one else is suppose to eat. If it doesn't have to be refirgirated, i'd keep it somewhere safe if they want to be jerks and not listen.

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
You can't force anyone to think a certain way, even your family. What you can try doing is saying things like 'hey I don't give you a hard time for your ___ hobby/interest so please don't give me a hard time for mine'.<br><br><br><br>
You should also start cooking your own dinner. That will lessen the impact on others. Cooking your own food is very easy with food around the house. Look at the recipes posted in this website and others on the web. You don't need to buy special ingredients, rice, beans and veggies around the house will feed you very well. Once you start cooking your own food they back off and you can even offer to cook them veggie meals for dinner.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I have a friend who grew up with a bunch of brothers who were awful about invading each others space and getting into each others stuff. Junk food (especially cereal) was coveted because the parents would buy it so rarely. So, when one brother would discover a box of something good in the pantry, he would take it into the family room where the others were watching TV and open it and spit into it - thus claiming it for himself.<br><br><br><br>
Funny how I thought of this story when I read your post. Not that I would suggest that you spit into your own private food stash, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Ive had the same problem with my parents, its been over 7 months now that I have been a vegetarian and my mom continues to tell me I am going to be sick or that my decision is wrong. I have learned to ignore them when it comes to my food choices, because theyre exactly that...my choices. It shouldn't bother them one bit, especially if you are buying your own groceries. I actually started a thread on that, my parents dig into my veggie food too...and I got tons of supportive answers, so you might want to check it out. Basically just try to stick to things you can keep in your room and out of the family fridge or pantry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't have the problem with people taking my food, I live in a one room bachelor's pad (Read S*** Hole). But I do have the problem of the lack of support. My parents choose restaurants where the only vegan options are Fries, Onion Rings, and Side Salads with no cheese or croutons. My fiance constantly teases me, and my roommate tries to tell me dairy cows and free range egg chickens are treated well. My tactic is to just ignore them along with a little sarcasm. For instance my dad will tease me with a hamburger, I just say, you enjoy that carcass when it's rotting in your colon tonight. Just be honest with em, let em know it bothers you, and let them know that its your choice. They need to respect that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts