VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm so thrilled!

over the last few years, i've become very conscious of the situation of individuals who make much of our clothing in the US is made in 'sweat shops.' i've found myself increasingly bothered by this phenomenon and over the last year i've tried to decrease my spending overall and only buy fair trade.

my other interest has been in moving toward earth friendly purchases as well--things that are natural and/or recycled/recyclable!

so, while i failed a lot over the last year, there is one area in which i desparately wanted to succeed--buying fair trade, organic clothing.

i also wanted to streamline my wardrobe down as 'low as i could go!' a pair of my jeans died, most of my shirts are dead, and so are many of my sweaters. my yoga clothes also bit the dust (some pants were over 5 years old!). so, it was time to replace, but replace mindfully.

today, i bought 2 pairs of rawganique organic hemp cargo yoga pants to fulfill my everyday yoga needs. anyone remember how i wanted to have pants that i could wear to yoga AND wear out in the real world? well, i found them.

I also bought 6 organic bamboo tops--three tanks and three 3/4 sleeve shirts. this will be my yoga gear and every day gear.

I also bought a pair of earth vegan shoes--which are fair trade and recyclable! i had hoped to find some made in hemp (they do have some shoes made with hemp, but if i'm not mistaken, they're also made with leather as well anyway).

i'm so thrilled that my wardrobe is now mostly organic and fair trade. i've decided that anything else that i buy from here on out will be fair trade and organic if i can get it.
i find it so thrilling!

also, the pottstown recycle center takes fabrics! they have a bin for clothes that they can sell and another for rags and yet another for recycling. i don't have anything that i can sell--it's worn out--but some would make decent rags (i'm already using them for this process anyway--a rag rug for october j, cloths for 'family cloth,' and so on), and others that just need to be recycled. i'm also sending my old shoes back to the manufacturer to be recycled!

hooray!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Nice job zoebird! The cargo pant link wouldn't come up for me...but I'm sure they're great!

I have come a long way myself in my purchasing endeavors. As an ex-slave to fashion, it was hard, but my new purchases are way more animal friendly! I'm more of a work in progress!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aren't we all?

i wish i could convince Earth (the company with the shoes that i like) to move their manufacturing to a union-based company in the developing world, rather than china, but when i called and asked them about the manufacturing company there, they gave me the name of one that is on the fair trade commission's list of chinese factories that do meet 'fair trade' standards and not one of the 'false front' factories.

it was an upsetting decision to have to go with something made in china wher eit is less likely to be fair trade, but i ultimately decided to trust the manufacturer and fair trade commission to get the shoes that i wanted (i've wanted earth shoes with their negative heel technology for a long time).

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Those look great zoe.

You'll have to do a review once you get them.

Do you think they have any stretch/give to them?

I'm used to yoga pants with some spandex/lycra blended into the cotton.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't know if they do, but they look baggy enough to move in either way. i'm actually afraid that the clothes will be too baggy.

particularly the shirts. i know how people will pull and pin shirts on the back of the form to show it as fitted when it really isn't fitted. but, hopefully, it will be what i want.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks!

i don't need new socks yet--or undergarments of any kind--but when i do, i'll be going organic/fair trade again.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Several of the EARTH shoe boots look pretty nifty! I think I might check those out. Thanks for the link, zoebird!
And do let us know about how 'stretchy' (or not) the shirts end up; that's a question I always have about on-line shirts.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Thanks so much for the Rawganic link. They have some really nice stuff that actually comes in plus sizes. Yay! Unfortunately their stuff is way outside my budget right now, but hopefully in the not too distant future I'll be able to move in the same direction. It's great that you're making buying fair trade clothing a priority.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, i feel really blessed that my husband and i re-evaluated our budget AND that he got a raise in the fall that made this possible for us.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, my shoes and shirts arrived today--shortly after i wrote the previous post.

the shoes are very comfy, but they do need to be 'broken in' a bit. luckily, i have plenty of time to do that before i go on my trip to NZ!

the tanks fit great (mediums), but the t-shirts are way too large. the cut is boxier than i wanted. so, i'm going to send them back in exchange for smalls. hopefully, those will be more fitted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts