VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
typically, this happens for a number of reasons--one being that the individual isn't eating enough calories. of course, great weight loss would come as well as loosing one's period. so, eating more calories can help the individual gain weight and resume fertile cycles.

for people who are sensitive to soy, the soy could affect the period as well and should be decreased or eliminated to see if that's the problem.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The only difference I've noticed is that I don't really get cramps anymore, I no longer have to take drugs for them.
I think I might be a bit more regular now too, but I don't keep very good track, so I'm not sure. I definitely never missed a period.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
The only "disturbance" I experienced was that I didn't get horrifically ill every time I got my period (oh, the problems I'd have every month of the world....
). I think I also got more regular, too and iirc, they also last about half the time as they did before - 3-4 medium to light days vs. the pre-veg 7-8 days of bleeding like a slasher movie.
In the whole of my 6 years being veg, I've never missed a period once and I've never had a bad period like I used to have, either.

For missing periods, however, Zoe is right - extreme weight loss/extreme loss of body fat will cause a person to lose their period (gaining weight/increasing body fat can correct this). Soy could also be a factor and iirc, some medications could be a factor, too. I'm also thinking that some reproductive issues can also affect periods, but I could be blending things too (it's a bit late here so my mind isn't at the top of its game right now
).

I think, though, you should see your doctor to find out why you, specifically, are losing your period.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Well, that's not a guarantee. I was a vegetarian for many years and had long, hideously grotesque periods that I would describe further, but the male members of the board might faint.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Longer cycles and lighter periods here. Mind you, no milk here. However, the change happened before I started eating soy, so it can't be that.

I still get hideous cramps if I forget to take my multivitamins though (must be the Mg or Ca that's in there preventing them).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well, I think I have PCOS and I coincidentally developed this almost exactly at the same time as I went vegetarian. I started putting on some weight and lost my period. At first I thought that it was my vegetarian diet, but I made sure that my diet was healthy and nothing changed. After nothing was improving, at the suggestion of some doctors I even started eating meat again for a few months, but everything stayed the same. I am convinced that my messed up cycles have nothing to do with going veg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts