VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yah, another pet thread. They are my life. Anyway:

My mother wants to get a small breed dog for my grandmother(who lives with her). This is all fine and dandy...except that she doesn't believe is spending money on animals. This means no vet, no adoption fees and no treats. She won't even touch the two dogs they have, says they are "nasty animals" and refuses to even touch them. Of the two dogs they have, only one of them gets walked, and that's because she is tied up all day. The other, and the oldest, just gets tied out back when he has to go. I think that's fine for the old boy, he's 15 this year and just doesn't move like he used to. They just don't seem to be getting the attention that they need. After a month of arguing, and watching the oldest practically chew his leg off, she finally bought flea collars for them. They do all have their shots and are fixed, however. It's not to say she doesn't like animals...she just treats them like livestock instead of loving pets.

I've told her many times that I don't want her having another dog because the ones she has are treated well enough, and this just results in being screamed at. Should I go to the people she calls for a dog and tell them not to give it to her? Am I overreacting?

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
You know the people she wants to get the dog from? Are their thoughts about dog care similar to yours (i.e. first world humane values about pet care)? If so, maybe you can ask them to tell her what the expectations are for adopting a dog from them: vet care, walks, attention. If you tell these people not to adopt a dog to her, will she get the dog from somewhere else? I don't see why they would even want another dog, if they're as you describe.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Oh, I know how frustrating that is! I don't know what to tell you though. Are you still living at home with them, or are you out on your own? (I don't remember how old you are). Can you help take a more proactive role in their care? Where are they wanting to get this dog from?

Call the animal control district in your area and ask for advice. Explain the situation and your concerns. Not saying to file a report on your mother (you don't even have to give a name or address), just ask them what you can do and what the laws are regarding the care of animals in your area.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We actually don't have any kind of animal control for 30 miles around where she lives. I do live on my own, have for 3 years. She doesn't totally neglect them, if they have a medical emergency, they do go in to the vet. She was looking around at shelters, but you have to pay for them, so that's out of the question. The most likely source is my cousin, who breeds dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts