VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to vegeterianism (5 weeks in) and I'm just worrying a little here because I have managed to get into this mentality where I eat more than I used to because I think, its ok, you need to substitute for the meat. Currently I'm laid in my bed feeling very full and bloated after having overeaten bean stew (chopped tomatoes, veggies and mixed beans). I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I know it's weird but can't seem to help it!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I think I did have that problem when I first went vegetarian years ago because I really love to eat and vegetarian food just tasted so much better.
But after a while I began to eat slightly smaller meals, but more often, which felt more comfortable for me. I eat about four to five times a day now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also humans are more or less "emotional eaters". We feel hungry when our stomach is not full (regardless of how much energy was in the food that we already ate). Meat needs a lot longer to digest. Ergo if you eat no meat it's best to have 2 or 3 smaller meals instead of one bigger meat based one. But it really depends on the person.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMcFlurry View Post

I'm pretty new to vegeterianism (5 weeks in) and I'm just worrying a little here because I have managed to get into this mentality where I eat more than I used to because I think, its ok, you need to substitute for the meat. Currently I'm laid in my bed feeling very full and bloated after having overeaten bean stew (chopped tomatoes, veggies and mixed beans). I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I know it's weird but can't seem to help it!
I think it's probably fine. Veggie food is in general less calorie dense, so eating more isn't really an issue (within reason of course).

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
My husband is doing weight watchers, which has kind of been a pain in my butt since I'm the one who cooks (I am NOT however, the one who got him overweight -- he overeats, and was snacking on chips and cookies all day at work, unbeknownst to me). Vegan food is so low point, if you aren't making huge amounts of carbs or using tons of oil, that he will have a MASSIVE plate of dinner and the point value will be like... 5. He gets 46 points a day. He never reaches 46 though because he's so full eating heaps of vegan food (and he's lost 16lbs in 5 wks).

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
meg, I know there's the new program out now with WW, but if you eat beans, that jacks up those points pretty fast, unless they count them differently from when I did it. I know my daughter says veggies and fruits are free now, which surprises me!

Crunchy, don't forget to allow your body to get used to all of the extra fiber....should try to add or increase that slowly, or you'll probably end up bloated and really uncomfortable for awhile. Also, are you eating whole foods or adding a bunch of junk food calories in? Whether or not you eat too much will depend on the quality of the food you eat, but don't forget, too many calories of anything, will increase your weight.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
half a cup of black beans is only 2 or 3 points. dunno about the other ones, I just happen to really like black beans, so I eat those much more often.

I snack a lot, though, so I just tend to keep stuff on hand - I cut up veggies and larger fruits when I get them home from the store, and I've always got nuts or yogurt cups handy as well. almonds are especially helpful to keep on hand, 12 or so of those and I'm good for an hour or two, which is usually long enough for me to finish what I'm doing and grab an actual meal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is just in your mind . . .

You gonna lose it when you realize it. People mostly think they they need to eat more to fill the gap ( they think ) is arosing due to cutting the meat out .

·
Registered
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

Crunchy, don't forget to allow your body to get used to all of the extra fiber....should try to add or increase that slowly, or you'll probably end up bloated and really uncomfortable for awhile.
This was my thought too...I noticed you said that your soup contained mixed beans...sometimes it can take months for your body to adjust to beans and that's with eating them several times a week.
I've heard people say that soaking helps with the gas discomfort and then I've also read that the presoaking doesn't matter. I always err on the side of presoaking myself but that's a personal choice.

As for eating more...I think most people increase their food intake for a bit until the transition period is over.

A small piece of meat contains sooo many more calories & fat than a HUGE salad would for example. I think you'd have to eat something like 7 *CUPS* of cucumbers to reach 100 calories whereas a 100 calories of chicken would be about 3 ounces...which is "about" the size of a deck of cards {or about 1/2 of a chicken breast you'd find at the grocery store}.

After a few weeks your body will adjust to this new way of eating and your portions should decrease accordingly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:

Crunchy, don't forget to allow your body to get used to all of the extra fiber....should try to add or increase that slowly, or you'll probably end up bloated and really uncomfortable for awhile.
heh, the first few weeks I went vego were rough... for both me and the friends I was around

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:

meg, I know there's the new program out now with WW, but if you eat beans, that jacks up those points pretty fast, unless they count them differently from when I did it. I know my daughter says veggies and fruits are free now, which surprises me!

Crunchy, don't forget to allow your body to get used to all of the extra fiber....should try to add or increase that slowly, or you'll probably end up bloated and really uncomfortable for awhile. Also, are you eating whole foods or adding a bunch of junk food calories in? Whether or not you eat too much will depend on the quality of the food you eat, but don't forget, too many calories of anything, will increase your weight.
It is only something like 2-3 pts per 1/2 cup of beans. In comparison -- a hotdog is 7 points. Usually the protein is the only part of the meal that has points, unless I use a little oil to cook things in. Compare that to an omni meal of two hot dogs and one cup of potato salad -- that's 30 points.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is awesome! My husband and I did WW and loved it but are currently transitioning into a vegan diet and I love that I can eat what I want, when I want and we have both been losing weight. It's so great!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Man, I wish I could overeat. I'm chronically skinny.
It sounds like a dumb problem, and it kinda is. I have to eat things in moderately small bites - a mouthful of anything makes me want to spit it out. I also think I have a very small stomach - I have trouble gorging, even when I really enjoy the food, and I reach a point before I get really full where I feel nauseous and just stop. I'm doomed to a life of being a bony person to cuddle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.