VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's getting ready to be a heavy flea and tick season here in my part of the country. In the past, we have always gotten the dogs medication that seems to sit on their coat and they end up licking it........and it's just gross. The poor dogs just get so sick

Does anyone know of a natural way to kill fleas? I have heard a few things, but this year I would really like to know a better way than just giving them pills or putting stuff on their fur. There HAS to be a better, holistic way to kill fleas.

Thanks for any ideas - I'm fresh out!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some folks will say that garlic will keep the fleas off of the dogs (feeding your dog galic tabs). I've also heard that too much garlic will make a dog sick and doesn't really keep the fleas away. Keep them brushed daily and lightly coat their hair with some type of oil. I use mineral oil. Yeah, they may end up looking like they haven't taken a bath lately. But what happens is the fleas breath through pores on their body. If they get the oil on them it clogs their pores and they suffocate. Use Borax Laundry Booster if you happen to get them in your carpet. Vaccum and then immediately sprinkle it on your carpet everywhere and wait 24 hours. Vaccum again. Don't forget to throw away the bag so that the fleas don't crawl out and reinfest. Vaccuming draws them out of their cocoon. The Borax dries them up (the eggs) so that you can break the cycle. Eggs/fleas will live without a host and without feeding for a very very long time. Getting them at the larvae stage is very important in ridding yourself of them.

Well, I hope this helped. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep one or two mothballs in your vacuum cleaner bag at all times. This kills the fleas/eggs that you vacuum up. Since I started doing this about 15 years ago, we've never had a problem with fleas.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Put brewers yeast (or nutritional yeast) in your dogs food. I have 4 cats and last summer we had no fleas because of this method. Fleas just hate the stuff!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I do use garlic. I use minced garlic in their food every 4 days or so. It is not bad for them in moderation, garlic is even bad for humans in excess! I haven't used flea medication in months and we just went through flea season, with no sign of fleas... garlic is also good for intestinal worms.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I always used to eat garlic. Mostly every day. So how come I got fleas anyway? All I have to do is walk near a dog, or in someone's house who owns a dog (even if the dog is not there) -- and the next thing you know -- i have fleas. Even when the dog's owner says "my dog does not have fleas" -- I get fleas from it.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
You must have your own fleas then! LOL (j/k)

I can guarantee you would not get fleas from my dogs. Maybe the cats, but not the dogs.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Sorry I don't have any holistic solutions, but since you have to give your dog Heartworm Preventative, why not just put them on Advantage?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had them on Advantage last year...........and the fleas were the worst yet! I live across the street from the water (Chesapeake Bay) and I am wondering if it is because of where I live that it gets so bad. Last year not only did we use Advantage, but we changed their bedding in their dog houses, kept washing them to the point where they'd really get bad and had the outside of the house sprayed. And with the Advantage - they still get fleas - they just drop off quicker and die.

It's a terrible problem here! I was just hoping to keep the dogs from the suffering that they had to put up with last year.

I may try the garlic and nutritional yeast........I have heard about those. Friends who live in the mountains in PA have told me it works like a charm on their animals. I just might try it.

Thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
750 Posts
theres a brand called cedarcide

they make products for your lawn and house

their stuff is made from natural cedar and doesnt kill the insects/animals... it just repells them away

its perfectly safe for use around animals... and you can actually bathe yourself and your animals in it to repell fleas and ticks

i just bought it, i havent tried it yet... but ive heard really good things about it from a bunch of people

its kinda hard to find... but check www.cedarcide.com

i got mine from www.mastergardening.com because they have either ultra-cheap or free shipping

Caroline

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
You can also plant plants near the doghouses to keep fleas away, off the top of my head I think pennyroyal is good but as long as your dogs don't eat plants. Various mints should help too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I don't have much info about fleas.The fleas weren't really a big problem for my dog. I remember at 1 point we were using one of those yucky gooey stuff that goes on their neck
good luck

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
ummm mineral oil on the fur? mineral oil is a laxative
i'd use it in the ears to keep them from getting mites but not anywhere they'd lick it off

but brewer's yeast works pretty well, you can buy it in pill/tablet form, when i had a dog he used to like the taste of the chewable tablets and would eat them without having to sneak them into treats or food or whatnot. easily solution and it's really cheap for a big bottle

and yeah brush often and vacuum every couple of days and wash any bedding the pets sleep on

when i got my cat as a kitten he had fleas but was too young to use any flea powders or meds on him so i just had to sit down with a flea comb and comb them all out and squash them. what a pain

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't use a gob of mineral oil. I drop some in the palm of my hands, rub together, and then rub it all over my dog. I then brush it in. It's not enough to where she can really lick it off and get any kind of effect from it. I does work its way down to the skin through regular brushings and help with her allergies to grass too.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I lived in North Carolina for a while and the fleas there are horrendous. The woman we were living in the house with got natural flea powder to put around the house and on the cats. It worked pretty well, but we had an infestation of fleas...it would probably work great if you don't have too many.

there's this other thing that you put on the back of a cat or dogs neck, wheres congregate to breed, and it kills them before they can spread. I think it's chemicals though, but it sure does work.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took this advice from the Q&A from Vetsbest:

Q: My dogs are already starting to have flea problems this summer. Isn't there something other than steroid shots and chemical powders that can stop the itching?

A: The key to preventing flea problems is to follow a three-step plan to eliminate fleas from your pets' environment, keep them off each pet and use the proper skin care products to promote beautiful, healthy hair coats.

Step one is to treat your house and yard against fleas. There is no way to win the annual battle against these blood thirsty little parasites without eliminating them from the environment. For every single flea that you see on your pets, there are hundreds -- perhaps thousands -- of other fleas and little white worms, or flea larvae, in the surrounding area of your home or yard. Fleas don't live on your pet -- they just hop on to take a blood meal.

Professional flea control products vary in quality and toxicity. Consult your veterinarian for a recommendation on what products work the best and are safest for you and your pets. For many pet owners, professional exterminators are the best choice. Others prefer to spray their own yards and flea bomb their homes themselves.

In any case, be sure that the treatment kills not only the adult fleas, but also the flea larvae which otherwise will hatch in a week or two to reinfest the area. Repeated treatments may be necessary depending on the level of infestation.

One non-toxic treatment that is very effective, especially for carpeted areas, consists of a borax-like powder that actually kills the fleas by desiccating or drying them out.

In addition, vacuum your carpets and furniture thoroughly before the treatment of your home, and throw away the vacuum bag. Use premise spray in hard-to-reach areas. Wash your pet's bedding often.

Step two is to coordinate the extermination effort with baths to eliminate fleas from all of your pets -- including all cats. Flea baths don't have much residual effect and only kill fleas on your pet at the time of the bath. Flea dips have very short-acting residual action. They can dry out the pet's skin and hair coat, and actually may be a cause of itching in some cases. The best choice is to use Veterinarian's Best Hot Spot Shampoo or All-in-1 Flea Relief Shampoo to eliminate fleas and soothe the skin without harsh chemicals.

Your veterinarian can provide two very effective prescription products to control the flea population and keep fleas from hopping on your pet and taking a blood meal:

Program is a monthly pill for your pet that acts like birth control for fleas. This is very effective way to dramatically reduce the flea population in your environment.

Advantage and Frontline are two topical flea control treatments that prevent fleas from taking a blood meal or kill them when they do.

All of these relatively new products are very safe and effective.

In between treatments of Program and either Advantage or Frontline, use natural Veterinarian's Best Hypoallergenic Shampoo to bath your pet and Hot Spot Itch Relief Spray to control any itching problems. Other shampoos can interfere with the effectiveness of Advantage or Frontline.

Step three, after the fleas are under control, is to eliminate itching with the proper choice of hypoallergenic shampoo, moisturizing conditioners and a food supplement that contains marine lipids, borage oil and essential fatty acids added to your pet's diet. These ingredients have natural anti-inflammatory properties that can replace the use of cortisone (steroids) in treating itching caused by flea allergies.

The effectiveness of using yeast, garlic and B-vitamin food supplements to control fleas on pets has long been debated. Many pet owners swear that this remedy is helpful, while others report no noticeable results. University studies have been inconclusive or even contradictory. One theory is that the natural sulfur contained in these ingredients can repel fleas. However, it is important to avoid products that add inappropriate amounts of sulfur because of potential damage to the kidneys.

Limited use of cortisone can be helpful to stop the itch-scratch cycle, but if steroid injections or pills are the only treatment over an extended period of time, serious side-effects can result.

We typically recommend the following Veterinarian's Best products for pets with flea problems:

Hypoallergenic Shampoo (for use with Advantage) - more info - order online -

All-in-1 Flea Shampoo for dogs - more info - order online -

All-in-1 Flea Shampoo for cats - more info - order online -

All-in-1 Herbal Flea Relief Spray - more info - order online -

Hot Spot Itch Relief Spray - more info - order online -

Hot Spot Shampoo - more info - order online -

I have found Dr. Curie's products to be a tremendous help to my kitty, plus they are natural. Check out their website:

http://www.vetsbest.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts