VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my first attempt at making Mango cheese cake with agar agar. Since we do not consume gelatin, i always stayed away fro trying out desserts like this, but I have to say I was very happy with the outcome. I used agar agar strands which was a little hard to measure, so next time I will be ordering the agar powder.
Here is the recipe link - http://www.mycookingjourney.com/2013/12/eggless-no-bake-mango-cheesecake-using.html

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
Would work for a vegetarian I guess...

Is there any way of making it vegan at all? Would like to try vegan cheesecake :)

·
Registered
4,608 Posts

Is there any way of making it vegan at all? Would like to try vegan cheesecake :)
For the unsalted butter, you could use vegan margarine or solid coconut oil, For the heavy cream, you could use full fat canned coconut milk or a vegan soy creamer. For the cream cheese, there are several options. You could buy commercial vegan cream cheese, or you can make your own "cream cheese" using either tofu as a base or cashews as a base. In fact right now for breakfast I am having toast with homemade almond cream cheese. :)

To the OP, agar is a great substitute for gelatin! I use it to make solid almond cheese slices, and have used it to make a vegan version of lemon meringue pie. It is amazing how creative and imaginitive we can be as veggies!

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts

YES! and I would like that so much better...
I found that sweetening the firm, aespectic packed tofu, with agave or maple syrup (or rice) and some vanilla extract tastes much like cream cheese. I would think you could use regular soft tofu.

I so agree with Naturebounds suggestion of the coconut milk! I love the combo of mango and coconut
I'd add some crytallised ginger too to top it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts