VeggieBoards banner

No appetite

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  murry 
#1 ·
*No stats/anything specific, still wanted to warn ppl who may possibly be triggered-don't read this!"

A brief: I've gained about 30lbs in the past 4-6 months, which put me at a healthy weight for my height, & I'm ok w/that because people keep telling me I look healthy now, that's great. However, this past few weeks I just don't have an appetite. I try to eat, but I know I'm not eating enough at all. I'm lucky if I eat anything once a day. I'll cook me up delicious meals, but after the first 2-3 bites I just can't do it. I try so hard to force myself to eat, but I just can't no matter how hungry I am-even if it's something I'm craving. It feels like my body just won't let me. Anybody had this problem? How did you handle it? I'm worried about my health & just want to be able to eat & maintain my weight in a healthy way.

#3 ·
urg, i hit something that made this go back... anyway... I try to get as much food as i can... I try and snack on nuts etc.. when i can, but my body is like "no, no more" ... all I ate today was an iceberg salad w/veg dressing... which is sooooo not enough... & I had to force myself to eat it... my body is just like rejecting food, and I just wanna be healthy & dunno what to do...

#5 ·
Oh i'm in need for professional everything.. I used to do boost/ensure, but I'm vegan, and If it's as I recall it contains milk product... so I'm like, urg... Haven't had any for like 4 years, I just want my body to let me eat... by the way, thank you for responding & quick responses!!!

#7 ·
Everything is bothering me... at the same time I'm finally like ok w/myself(somewhat), but the stress is major, that's what I was kinda thinking it is, but it's never been this bad (except when mom passed.. I'd eat maybe 200cals a day if I was lucky.. it'd take me like literally 30mins+ to eat a boca burger) & that's all I'd eat for a few days... I dropped way below a healthy weight, and now I'm healthy and I've been ok w/that & want to maintain it... nothing major has been going on, in the past it has, so I'm like clueless... could be because mom's b-day was a few weeks ago and I'm just not realizing how much it's effecting me... i dunno...

#8 ·
Try making your own smoothies.

Take 2 tbsp natural peanut butter or any kind of nut butter, 1 medium banana (frozen), 1 cup chocolate soymilk, & 1 serving soy protein powder, and blend it in a blender.

It totals to aprox 600 calories, has lots of protein and good-for-you carbs, and will REALLY help you, nutritionally. I realize 600 calories sounds like a lot for a single drink, but it's not when you are only consuming 200 calories otherwise.

#9 ·
I try to eat more than 200 cals a day/every few days now... (that was when mom passed I ate that little at the time) 600 doesn't sound like a lot for a snack/meal, I'd love that, I'll try making my own smoothies... I just want enough nutrients & I'm sick of going days before I realize I haven't ate...

#12 ·
Yeah, I don't really want to do prescription drugs... & there's no health food store in town... I think the closest one is about 45 mins away (which I'll make the trip if I need to) It's just scary feeling the effects on my body, I don't like not feeling healthy and unenergized. (I can sleep 12 hours a night, and still wanna go to sleep 2 hours later) I just woke up about 30mins ago & all I wanna do is go back to sleep.... didn't help something really stressed me out last night.

#13 ·
i don't know how helpful this is..but i know a lot of the time malnutrition leads to lack of appetite. there are some vitamins (is zinc one? i forget) that if you don't get enough of, your appetite drops, and it starts going in a cycle. i tried to gain / maintain for ages and felt horrible, food just repulsed me and i took aaaaaaaaaaaaaages to eat tiny amounts of food. but then a nutritionist made sure i was getting enough of said vitamins and my appetite has returned (and then some...)

xoxo

#14 ·
Yeah, taurushead is right about zinc. When I am deficient in zinc, my appetite drops like crazy and food doesn't interest me at all. When I get a proper amount, my appetite works over-time, haha.

Actually, zinc is recommended for people recovering from anorexia nervosa, because it is such a factor in getting and maintaining a good, healthy appetite.

#15 ·
i'm having this same problem :/ i never, ever get hungry. i don't get sick after i do eat but food just doesn't interest me... and i don't feel faint or anything from not eating though... this must be bad guhhh, at least i'm still eating and taking my multivitamin though (which does have zinc so what the heck)

today i only managed to get down a plain veggie burger, some mixed vegetables, 3 bites of pasta, applesauce&grapes and some ritz crackers

roarrrrr the past few days i've been drinking a lot of soymilk but now i'm out and i have no money until saturday, so i'm screwed.

ADVICE? since i really don't think it's zinc in my case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.