VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I'm running SUSE Linux. 10.1 on my laptop and an older version, 9.2, on my AMD64 workstation. I used to have Redhat before. And we're using Redhat at work.

Which *nix are you running, MissGarbo?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've only got enough room for Puppy on this ancient computer, it's running from a live CD in my big 64 mb of ram (fear me!). Did use Ubuntu to repartition the HD after wiping it though, I think I'll install that on the new computer when it arrives.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

Ubuntu Dapper Drake here.
Okay, hi guys. I just lost my 4th hard drive that was running on XP a few days ago, rendering my laptop useless. I'm either going to replace the HD or just look at going with a new system (I'm leaning towards a refurbished G4 iBook) and I'm sick of XP-based issues.

I ordered a free CD of Dapper Drake today via the Ubuntu site.

I have some questions regarding the software (I know there's a forum on the site but have yet to check it out) and I'm hoping that someone can give me some pointers.

If I were to replace my existing laptop hard disc, would I need to have XP installed to run Ubuntu? Or can it run independently? I'm already a fan of Firefox 2.0, which I noticed is part of the newest Ubuntu software.

Does anyone have recommendations regarding replacing my hard drive vs. looking into a refurb iBook? I know there are tower systems out there a lot cheaper, but I've gotten accustomed to having a laptop and spoiled to the portability.

Either way, I think I'm donesville with XP. Sick of losing things before I can back them up (and granted, it's my own fault) but still I'd like to look into a more secure software environment, esp. one that doesn't cost me $100 for a disc to install it. Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Okay, hi guys. I just lost my 4th hard drive that was running on XP a few days ago, rendering my laptop useless. I'm either going to replace the HD or just look at going with a new system (I'm leaning towards a refurbished G4 iBook) and I'm sick of XP-based issues.

I ordered a free CD of Dapper Drake today via the Ubuntu site.

I have some questions regarding the software (I know there's a forum on the site but have yet to check it out) and I'm hoping that someone can give me some pointers.

If I were to replace my existing laptop hard disc, would I need to have XP installed to run Ubuntu? Or can it run independently? I'm already a fan of Firefox 2.0, which I noticed is part of the newest Ubuntu software.

Does anyone have recommendations regarding replacing my hard drive vs. looking into a refurb iBook? I know there are tower systems out there a lot cheaper, but I've gotten accustomed to having a laptop and spoiled to the portability.

Either way, I think I'm donesville with XP. Sick of losing things before I can back them up (and granted, it's my own fault) but still I'd like to look into a more secure software environment, esp. one that doesn't cost me $100 for a disc to install it. Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.
Are you positive that your hard drive is dead or could it be that your windows file system is corrupted? If it is the later then you do not need a new hard drive. I agree try a live cd out or wait for you cd in the mail. If you have a burner in the house you can download iso's directly from Ubuntu's website.

You definitely do not need XP to run ubuntu. If anything that will only make the install more complicated (but not by much).

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Are you positive that your hard drive is dead or could it be that your windows file system is corrupted? If it is the later then you do not need a new hard drive.
Yeah, and even if it is damaged, you still might be able to use it if you reformat it or use some kind of repair software. The hard drive on my workstation somehow got damaged about a year ago, but I managed to "fix" the problem by using some program to mark the affected blocks as unusable. I've had no problems with it after that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyagraha View Post

What media content is not supported?

Latest VLC has support for WMV and WMA.
Well, amend that, I can't get streaming media to work -- the embedded vlc firefox plugin. If it's on my computer already, I can view it. I think I installed from a Debian package, which doesn't always jive with Ubuntu. Maybe I need to compile from scratch? Ugh.

My boyfriend will be happy that comedy central's site just switched over to flash for video viewing

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

SCO UNIX 5.4 and FreeBSD 5.5

~Brandon, in lieu of XP just find a livecd of something to try before you 'buy', Knoppix and FreeBSD come to mind.
Ubuntu's a live CD. (at least EE is, pretty sure DD too)

Brandon you can PM me if you'd like Ubuntu advice. There's an IRC channel too, nice folks. Laptop hardware/info, cannot help you. Also, if you do get XP back up and want to try Linux, there's a distro that wan work within windows--winix. But I don't think you'd get a feel for *nix's reliability and speed that way. It *is* different from win and there is a learning curve, but there are plenty of folks willing to help you out. And once you're hooked there's no going back.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

SCO UNIX 5.4 and FreeBSD 5.5

~Brandon, in lieu of XP just find a livecd of something to try before you 'buy', Knoppix and FreeBSD come to mind.
Whoa, an SCO UNIX user.

Are you aware that SCO is in some rather risky lawsuits, including one against IBM?

From SCO's prospectus:

We may not prevail in our SCO Litigation, which may adversely affect our ability to continue in business.

They are also in a lawsuit against Novell over who actually owns Unix.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.