VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to mention Nick Drake - he's not that well known, but things are gradually improving.

Nick was born in 1948, and died from what was most likely a ancidental overdose of anti-depressants in 1974, aged 26.

He released only 3 albums - Five Leaves Left in 1969, Bryter Layter in 1970, and finally Pink Moon in 1972.

He was unsucessful in his own lifetime, but now 28 years later is being recognised as a hugely influential artist.

His music is acoustic based, ranging from stark to lush string arrangements. If you've never heard of him, or put it off until now, beg, borrow or download now. It might take a few listens to get into his style and delivery, but you won't regret it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ah!!!!!

I'm a huge huge huuuuge Nick Drake fan. I've got all three of his albums plus the Tamworth in Arden bootleg... oh, and Time of No Reply.

It's so sad that people didn't recognise his talent while he was still around. As much as I love FLL, BL and PM I wish there was more stuff that I could listen to.

Oh, and if you're going to download some tracks, I'd suggest you start with 'At The Chime of the City Clock', 'River Man', 'Pink Moon', 'Man in the Shed' and 'Saturday Sun'. But all of his songs are great (apart from 'Know', perhaps...) so you could really start anywhere.

Have you heard anything by John Martyn, Jon? He wrote 'Solid Air' for Nick. I'm sure you know this

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Gazumper

Have you heard anything by John Martyn, Jon? He wrote 'Solid Air' for Nick. I'm sure you know this
I've been aware of John Martyn for a number of years, things like "May you Never", etc. I was listening to Nick's music yesterday and felt an urge to post a thread. I spent some time researching him on the internet, and spotted for the first time that Solid Air was written for/about Nick Drake. Its not an obvious connection though, or did I miss a lyric?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I really like some of his songs. I've yet to buy any of his albums though. Elliott Smith, another great singer/songwriter, is influenced by him. That's what finally made me get around to checking him out, listening to a lot of Elliott Smith.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Check out his self-titled album on Kill Rock Stars and XO on Dreamworks Records. His self-titled is the one that turned me on to him. I heard it from a friend, and I've listened to it hundreds of times since, and I still haven't grown tired of it. It was recorded on 4 track with mostly just his vocals and a guitar, with a few songs using a few other instruments, so it's pretty lo-fi.

Now XO was his first album on a major label, so having the money and equipment, he experimented a lot more--horns, string arrangements, lots of piano, etc--and it's a lot more produced. This one is also more pop-oriented, rather than the lo-fi folk, like on his earlier records, and it has more of a Beatles/Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys sound.

All of his albums have something good on them, but these are my two favorites.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
oh wow, i need to check in on the music section more often. nick drake is great! he's got a really soothing voice and his songs are, musically, quite intricate. at least that's what guitar players tell me
but definitely go and try one of his albums, all three are amazing. i like pink moon the best because it's just him and his guitar, but his other two have a lot of background "orchestral" sounds to them, if you're into that.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slightly off topic, but I'm currently apply for a new job which is five miles north of Tanworth-in-Arden, which is just south of Birmingham in the UK.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stonecrest

oh wow, i need to check in on the music section more often. nick drake is great! he's got a really soothing voice and his songs are, musically, quite intricate. at least that's what guitar players tell me
but definitely go and try one of his albums, all three are amazing. i like pink moon the best because it's just him and his guitar, but his other two have a lot of background "orchestral" sounds to them, if you're into that.
And from the quote in your signature, I assume you're a Jeff Buckley fan as well?? Have you got the new JB/Gary Lucas album? It's no.1 on my To-Buy list at the moment

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Gazumper

And from the quote in your signature, I assume you're a Jeff Buckley fan as well?? Have you got the new JB/Gary Lucas album? It's no.1 on my To-Buy list at the moment
you betcha, i love jeff buckley. i honestly think that, if i had to name one artist that anybody in the world would enjoy, it'd be him. i just can't see how someone can not like his music. and his voice, wow..

but anyway, i did get the mp3s of the JB/lucas album but haven't has a chance to listen to them yet. i'm a try-it-before-you-buy-it person
i really don't know much about the album though, or all of these other albums of his that are coming out. i bought grace, sketches, and mystery white boy right away and haven't been keeping up-to-date on everything else. grace ep's? jb/lucas? live at sin-e? live at l'olympia? gotta read up on this stuff =)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've been a huge Nick Drake fan for about 15-16 years.

My closest connection to him came when a friend of mine and I met Richard Thompson (of Fairport Convention - Drake opened up for them at some point and Thompson played on one of his albums) after he'd been interviewed at our college radio station. It was so weird to meet such a talented man who actually worked with Nick Drake at some point.

There are also some great Nick Drake covers out there. Katell Keineg does a version of River Man that stays faithful to the original. I've also got a neat jazz version of it by Brad Mehldau that almost sounds kinda Peanuts in style.

Nick Drake's music was incredible. It's unfortunate that he didn't record more than he did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts