VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im very new to all this and i was just about to have a bread roll with Flora diet spread on and happened to look at the ingredients and was appalled to see there is gelatine (pork) in it.

Is there any products i can use to put on my bread that does not have this in it in the Uk?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
yes!

if you are lacto-ovo, of course you could alsways go with butter...AFAIK 'pure' brand of margarine (all types) is vegan and so is vitalite. I'm not sure about which brands are non-vegan but are veg, though, sorry.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

yes!

if you are lacto-ovo, of course you could alsways go with butter...AFAIK 'pure' brand of margarine (all types) is vegan and so is vitalite. I'm not sure about which brands are non-vegan but are veg, though, sorry.
Vitalite is vegan?!

Seems like anchor spreadable, country life and lurpak are all vegetarian. Just check the labels when buying, most that are suitable for vegetarians will mark them as such especially own brands.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Vitalite is vegan?!
well...I don't buy it regularly, so I could have missed something. I have checked over the ingredients before my girlfriend used it to make cake and it seemed okay, and it is definitely dairy free 'cause it says so on the packaging.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

well...I don't buy it regularly, so I could have missed something. I have checked over the ingredients before my girlfriend used it to make cake and it seemed okay, and it is definitely dairy free 'cause it says so on the packaging.
After that i had to go and check, seems vegan to me. Definatly dairy free and vegetarian anyway plus cheaper than pure (though i love pure). Argh and now i'm stuck singing 'whooooaa vitaltie..' in my head!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Someone on another forum I go on emailed Vitalite customer services to ask if it was vegan and they said it wasn't
. It is dairy-free but the vitamin D is animal-derived. So depends how you feel about 'trace' ingredients I guess.

In reponse to the original question, afaik margarine in the UK is usually vegetarian (doesn't have meat/fish products in) but usually isn't vegan (does contain milk/animal-derived vitamins). The Flora one is the only one I've heard of that contains gelatine and I think that's only in the diet version. But if you want to be sure, look for the Pure brand.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derwenna View Post

Someone on another forum I go on emailed Vitalite customer services to ask if it was vegan and they said it wasn't
. It is dairy-free but the vitamin D is animal-derived. So depends how you feel about 'trace' ingredients I guess.
oh, that really sucks

·
Banned
18 Posts
Hi there,

The brand that most vegans use is called SUMA and you can get it in all health stores and most supermarkets. Get the one based on sunflower oil, as the one with soya tastes disgusting. Health stores also sell other brands, and some supermarkets now sell their own brands (including Sainsbury's). Go for the allergy brands - dairy-free etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts