VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - just joined the forum last night (although I must confess I've been lurking ! I've toyed with the idea of going vegan for years - have migrated from vegetarian to vegan (for 3 years) to vegetarian to ravenous meat-eater (when I got stressed out by a job - wonder if the meat-eating thing was freudian?!?) to vegetarian and now I'm working my way back to vegan again... for myself, it is for ethical reasons.

So I'm working my way back to vegan - fine for the most part, but the hardest thing to wean myself off from is the cheese.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting away from the stuff? group therapy? hypnotism? negative behavior modification? Any advice would be welcome.

Janet

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Avocados. They have that fatty, creamy feeling of cheese without all of the unhealthy stuff. Cheese is my downfall, but I've been doing very well for the past few months. I've gone back and forth with veganism, too. However, I think that to just keep at it is the key and eventually it will stick. Never quit quitting, as they say!

Anyway, welcome.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I have problems with cheese, that is why I consider myself currently a "pro-vegan vegetarian". I have actually thought about hypnosis. I found a place where they will make you custom tapes, but actually it is quite easy to make your own self-hypnosis tapes. But I would like to modify my voice so I am not listening to my recorded voice saying, "You are now 10 times more relaxed..."

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Janet,

I'm in the same boat as you are cheese-wise. So far I suppose it's going well... for the whopping 3 days I've been trying.
I've successfully turned down a ton of food, though. Good luck!

Mskedi

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Just take one day at a time. Say none today but maybe tomorrow I might if I feel like it.

it is disgustingly fatty and the thought of twelve month old hardened cow breast milk doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
well, first, if you find that you still want to eat cheese, then go witht he vegan ideology (or whomever's ideology) that you will do the least harm that you can--that includes to you.

so, although i support you going vegan, i certainlydon't want you to torture yourself if you still eat cheese. For me, cheese is not such a big problem, since i'm lactose intolerant. Though, in a crunch, i'll eat it (burn and all!). Though usually i don't.

I was vegan for a while, but now i'm ovo vegetarian. I didn't fall from the one true way, i just decided that it was healthier for me to eat the eggs. And even then, i only eat one or two every few weeks. but, it's enough to change my label officially.

anyway, there are places where one can find humane (or more humane) sources of animal products such as local farms, friends, etc. Our eggs come from a local family, i know the family, the chickens, etc. I think that the whole process is very humane and loving, and certainly less problematic than "factory farming." Also, i don't agree with the vegan base premise that we simply shouldn't have anyinteractions with animals, and that we shouldn't eat them or their byproducts. I think that it is too extreme of an idea.

So, what i'm saying is, if you decide that it is OK for you to eat cheese, then buy the most humane cheeses that you can find. Organic farms, local farms, International Society of Krishna Consciousness farm (particularly good, as the animals live out full, natural lives, and are only milked after the calf has eaten). Anyway, it's an idea.

Fats, also a good suggestion.
some people like the vegan "cheeses"--my sister uses them (also lactose intolerant, though not vegan).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hello littleone.

i've been a vegan for almost 13 years (my anniversary is June 30) and the hardest thing was giving up the cheese and chocolate. however, if you stick with it long enough (years) you develop a physical revulsion to it - or at least i have. there has been a few insensitive and ignorant people who have lied to me about the ingredients in the food they are feeding me. one bite and the phelgm starts to rise. it's pretty disgusting.

i would also check you the "got pus?" campaign. nastiness.

you need to be careful with the soy cheeses if you decide to go vegan as most aren't vegan at all.

why is it that vegetarians can't eat cheese and vegans soy cheese?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, when I was an omni I had a astounding lack of variety in my diet - when I was completely vegan, I was the same way (I used to eat brown rice wrapped in nori).

Sometimes I think I'm going to have to hypnotize myself to begin liking foods that are good for me!

Love boca burgers - love broccoli - love rice - love cucumbers and lettuce - but I've never been able to like beans (I can't stand the mushy consistency). So again, I have a lack of variety in my diet (if I could eat pizza every night, I would!)

Can anyone recommend some excellent vegan/vegetarian cookbooks?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my favourites have to be:

how it all vegan by tanya barnard & sarah kramer (easy recipes and just overall funkiness that i so enjoy, including using words like oi-vey)

simply vegan by debra wasserman (this is amazing because it's half recipes and half nutritional information including RDA for vegans, pregnancy and the vegan diet, feeding vegan kids, etc.)

quickies 2: veggies and more (okay, this is a chatelaine cookbook, but the recipes are incredibly easy as well as quite tasty. this is not a vegan cookbook.)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
littleone, with each passing month, and year, the soy cheeses have been getting better. Maybe soon, they will come up with one that tastes closer to that gooey favorite.

If anyone has a particularly good brand, vegetarian or vegan, please post. Cheese is a difficult habit to break!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LittleLisa

littleone, with each passing month, and year, the soy cheeses have been getting better. Maybe soon, they will come up with one that tastes closer to that gooey favorite.

If anyone has a particularly good brand, vegetarian or vegan, please post. Cheese is a difficult habit to break!
You are what you eat. I don't want to be mold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts