VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new to sprouting and have been searching for info on how to sprout quinoa and soon Ill want to know how to sprout buckwheat as well. So far I have found the following procedure: let it sit in water, then rinse and drain, rinse and drain, rinse and drain, etc. I am learning about sprouting because Id like to have grains for breakfast sometimes and Im not sure that I have the time to cook them in the morning. I set out hoping that I could just let the grains sit in water overnight and then eat them in the morning! It doesnt sound like that is possible

Also, I am a Celiac so I must avoid the gluten grains.

And, Id assume that sprouts will have a lower glycemic index value than their cooked counterparts I am hypoglycemic, but I dont want the GI to be too low.

Can anyone help me out with these questions?

I will keep skimming through the forum for more information. Thanks for any help!

Drew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah I forgot to add that since I'm a student I might not always be at home to rinse and drain my sprouts at the necessary times. Do the rinsing and draining have to be done at precise times?

And does a sprouter help?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hi there!

I have helpful links about sprouting times. Quinoa is in there. I have sprouted buckwheat and it is very easy to sprout! I made raw pizza crust out of it! I have also sprouted barley, purple barley, wheat, rye, and chickpeas too. I am trying to sprout purple corn right now.

Here is the link with sprouting times:

http://chetday.com/sprouts.html

I recently posted a thread on my Sprouting adventures. I put up pictures and links to the sprouter I have which is a Biosta. If you are not home to rinse, this sprouter would be perfect for you! All you have to do is water once a day and the sprouter does the rest! They are cheap. Around 24$ and very easy to clean. No electric required! You won't have to do any of that rinse, drain, rinse drain stuff! It is practically no work really! And sprouts grow fast (most of them within two days)!

And in my opinion, it is kind of cute too!

See thread here:

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=67310

I believe the very last post has the link to a site that sells the Biosta. You could search on the web to see if you could find it cheaper though.

Post more questions if you need any more help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.