VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to being a vegetarian, and I have some questions.

1. What do vegans put on bagels? Is there a vegan substitute for cream cheese? I've tried margarine on bagels in the past, and it just doesn't work. I'm just too Jewish for that.

2. Is peanut butter vegan? There were some ingredients on the jar that I don't understand - "mono - and diglycerides". Jif brand, if it matters. I guess there are lots of non-vegan ingredients that I won't recognize on labels. I'm not trying to be vegan, but if it's convenient...

3. Does eggplant have any nutritional value? It seems like a good meat substitute to eat at Italian restaurants, but I seem to recall hearing that it's completely worthless nutritionally. Is that true? I don't remember where I heard it.

4. Am I the only vegetarian in the world who can't stand the taste of hummus? I never understood why it was so popular, but now that I'm reading about vegetarian nutrition, I realize it's a major protein source. I'd rather eat peanut butter, tofu, soy products, or just about anything else.

5. What vitamins would you recommend? Are most commonly available vitamins vegan? I've checked nutrition in them before, but never ingredients.

6. Are all Yves prepared meals spicy or just the Thai one? I tried that one, because it was the only one they had at my grocery store, and it was too spicy for me. I don't like spicy foods.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance...

--Fromper

· Registered
283 Posts
Welcome to VB! I'm new too, so I cant really answer everything, but I'm sure I can manage a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I'm new to being a vegetarian, and I have some questions.

1. What do vegans put on bagels? Is there a vegan substitute for cream cheese? I've tried margarine on bagels in the past, and it just doesn't work. I'm just too Jewish for that.
There is a soy based cream cheese... i tried one brand and i didnt like it, but i hear of one around here all the time that people seem to like... something "better then cream cheese" i forget the brand name, but someone will know! Tofutti or something... not sure

Quote:

2. Is peanut butter vegan? There were some ingredients on the jar that I don't understand - "mono - and diglycerides". Jif brand, if it matters. I guess there are lots of non-vegan ingredients that I won't recognize on labels. I'm not trying to be vegan, but if it's convenient...
As far as I know it is. If you are concerned about the weird ingredients, try some of the natural ones out nowadays. you have to stir them more, but they taste the same

Quote:

4. Am I the only vegetarian in the world who can't stand the taste of hummus? I never understood why it was so popular, but now that I'm reading about vegetarian nutrition, I realize it's a major protein source. I'd rather eat peanut butter, tofu, soy products, or just about anything else.
cant help ya there! I like it! actually i've never tried just normal hummus... have you tried the flavoured kinds? I like the lemon dill one or the roasted garlic

· Registered
238,393 Posts
1. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese

2. Some, if not most, peanut butter is vegan. Mono- and di-glycerides may or may not be animal derived. It's best to contact the company if you're concerned. If you look for natural peanut butter though, you shouldn't have a problem with those mystery ingredients.

3. I'm not sure about eggplant... if you go to this site, you'll find lots of information about it.

4. I don't care for hummus, either! You're not alone.

5. You have to be really careful with supplements. I recommend VegLife brand, because they are certified vegan. If you're interested in them, shop around a bit online to find the best prices. I don't necessarily recommend the link I gave you, I just wanted to show you what they looked like and some of the supplements they offer.

6. Not all of Yves meals are spicy. Here are their other meals.

Hope that helps!

· Registered
1,182 Posts
1. What do vegans put on bagels? There are soy cream cheeses, but if you don't like those, you can use jam.

2. Is peanut butter vegan? I'm pretty sure it is, but your best bet is to use a natural peanut butter...they're better for you also!

4. Am I the only vegetarian in the world who can't stand the taste of hummus? I don't care for hummus either...I tried it after tons of people raved about it here, but yuck! Some people say to try different brands/flavors...but I won't be giving it another try for awhile.

· Registered
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know there was non-dairy cream cheese, or I wouldn't have asked such a silly question. I'm surprised I haven't seen it in the stores, as I have been looking at things like soy milk and other substitutes lately. I'll make a point of looking again, now that I know what to look for.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

--Fromper

· Registered
283 Posts
sometimes they arent always in with the normal cream cheese. i've been to stores where they have a 'natural' section and they've been there... but i've also seen stores with that seperate section and a normal cream cheese section that puts it someplace all by itself. i almost missed it!

I'm gonna have to try that cream cheese too

· Registered
79 Posts
1. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese is amazing! I also will put tomato on a bagel with the Tofutti cream cheese for breakfast.

4. Maybe try making your own hummus. Homemade with the herbs and spices you like- it is better than store brands!

5. Check out veganstore.com. It's a website from a company called Pangea, and they have multivitamins that are vegan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.