VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm Laura, I just joined and wanted to say hi! Been vegan for about 3 weeks now, loving it (I was previously vegetarian). Finding some situations a little tough, like eating in restaurants and explaining to my grandparents (lol).

I'm so glad to find a community like this, I'm the only vegan in my group of friends/family and it can feel a bit lonely sometimes. Hope to make some new friends, I'll mostly be in the UK forum

xxx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey
Yeah I adore Tori Amos! Been a fan since I was 14.

I'm from the Scottish Borders but I'm living in Stirling just now, I love it here. Where are you from lucky charm? I've never even met a vegan from the UK nevermind Scotland!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflakegirl View Post

Hey
Yeah I adore Tori Amos! Been a fan since I was 14.

I'm from the Scottish Borders but I'm living in Stirling just now, I love it here. Where are you from lucky charm? I've never even met a vegan from the UK nevermind Scotland!
Are you in Stirling for uni? I'm in Glasgow, there are a fair few of us here (there's a Glasgow vegan meetup group but I've never quite made it along) we have 3 vegan restaurants and even a vegan club!

The UK product threads are probably a useful place to look when you're starting out vegan- I have been vegan for a year and a half & I'm still discovering new things! If you like processed food, such as faux meats, vegan quiches, cheesecake, ice cream etc Holland & Barrett is your friend!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep I'm at the uni, I'm in my 4th year though so may or may not be moving away next summer. A vegan club, that's cool! What's it called? I did wonder if there were any vegan places in Glasgow, I only know of one in Edinburgh.
I've been looking at some of the posts on the UK boards, they're so helpful
I have to admit I'm a fan of processed stuff (esp. cheese and chocolate - been trying to get vegan versions) but I try to stay away from them as much as possible.. Plus I am pretty skint most of the time!
Thanks very much

·
Registered
888 Posts
Stirling is quite close to Glasgow so you should come through and try the vegan fare some time!

The club is the Flying Duck & apparently serves tea and toast in the kitchen! Though I have never been

I have been to all the bar/ restaurants though, they are all owned by the same person. There are two in the city centre, Mono and Stereo, and one in the west end called The 78.

I just remembered there is another one in the city centre (new) called Heavenly which is pretty good too.

There are also a bunch of veggie restaurants.

What's the name of the vegan restaurant in Edinburgh? I have only heard of a veggie restaurant- David Bahns.

There are some great vegan chocolates, and debatably some pretty good vegan cheeses too! It's quite exciting discovering all the new things!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool I'll have to check out the Flying Duck! I visit Glasgow quite a bit, good to know I can get a yummy lunch that's not a salad or baked potato

The one I was thinking of was the Forest Cafe in Edinburgh, no idea where it is and I dunno if it's a cafe or restaurant. I was told about it a year or so ago though, so it could be shut!

Yeah it's great going shopping and finding new stuff!
I found the health food shop in Stirling yesterday, they only sell vegan cheese/chocolate, it's great! I think I'll be doing all my shopping in the Co-op and Superdrug too from now on, it's so helpful that they label everything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts