VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm Cheryl and I'm 43 years old. I have been eating low carb for YEARS and have lost alot of weight eating that way, but have 'fallen off the meat wagon' and have gained. I saw the movie, Meet Your Meat, and have been disgusted for awhile, but still haven't given it up.

I really have no idea how I should be eating. What is healthy anymore???? Unless I grow it, who knows!

Anyhoo, I live in a small, resort town in northern Michigan. Someone started a Get Healthy campaign and wanted people to drink a green smoothie a day for one month. I found it about 1 week before it ended, but I considered it. Then they sponsored a viewing of the Forks Over Knives movie, in which I attended, and now I'm really interested.

I really have no idea where to start. Coming from low carb eating, all I know is meat, eggs and cheese! Should I start just by cutting out meat? I feel like I'll gain so much weight if I start eating pasta, bread, etc.

I really can't see myself becoming a vegan. I don't think I could go without butter & cheese! And I love my honey, which I don't understand why it's not vegan. My husband wouldn't let it happen either.

I picture myself trying to become vegetarian, but then I figure chocolate chip cookies have no meat, so I would eat a ton of them.

What books do I check out?
What recipes should I try?
Should I just wipe out meat, white flour and sugar?

HELP PLEASE? I need to lose weight and be healthy!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I did low carb once years ago, lost weight but it came back when I fell off the wagon. Listen to what Forks over Knives says. Eat a whole food plant based diet... no meat, eggs, dairy, processed foods or added oils. It works and IMO is infinitely better for you and is more satisfying than low carb. I currently eat very little pasta or bread and when I do it's whole grain pasta and bread, none of the white stuff.

Read the China Study you'll have no problem giving up the butter and cheese.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did low carb for a while as well. I'm vegetarian and have been for a few months. I think a lot of things is finding ways to substitute meat in the things you already make. Instead of a chiken or pork stir fry just use vegetables or try vegetables and tofu. You can use black beans to replace meat in chili. I love making tostadas with pinto beans, peppers, onions and tomatoes. I generally use more wheat flour anyway and love the taste of vegan sugar. IMO the vegan sugar tastes better in coffee. LOL Finding a beginners vegetarian book will help to ensure you are getting all of the nutrients your body needs. HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts