VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah title speaks for itself. I really want to become a vegetarian but it's been a little difficult for me.

A little introductory about myself, I'm 15, I decided last September I wanted to become a vegetarian, for multiple reasons including health benefits and the animal cruelty factor (the slaughter houses and stuff.) I come from a family that eats meat everynight. I've gotten along a little bit with my vegetarianism, I don't eat beef or pork anymore, but I'm struggling with sea foods & chicken. My family doesn't discourage my decision, but they're not supportive either. If I want vegetarian food I have to cook it all myself, which is something I don't have that much time for usually but I could try to make time for. Does anyone have advice or know any good books for a beginner like me? Recipes would be cool, especially ones that was easy to make and took little time. Any tips would be helpful though really, thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi! Congrats on making such a great decision. It can be hard when you have a family of meat eaters. I'm the Mum in my case but my husband and kids are all big meat fans. I ate no meats but chicken for the last 2 years knowing what I wanted to do but just not being ready to take the final step so it is okay to go slowly. Easy recipes can be found on www.vegweb.com. There's a whole section on quick and easy but a lot of the other one's are pretty quick and easy too. One of my quick and easy favourites is just cooked quinoa with a splodge of vege margarine and a teaspoon of nut. yeast and steamed vegetables.

Also I make up huge batches of my favourite lentil burgers and freeze them (you can do this on weekends) and then I can just grab them out in the morning to defrost. I use them for burgers, as a meat sub so I can make the same veges for me and the family but they have meat, I cut them up small and use them as nuggets, or I have them with salad. They're really easy and versatile.

Also maybe while you cook mostly for yourself you could ask your Mum if she's interested in helping you with some of it and get her interested in cooking it and what's in it. Or cook up a really yummy vegetarian lentil loaf and steamed vegetables (a cheapie microwave steamer is fine) and some vegetarian gravy and cook it FOR them and they might just be happy to eat veg occasionally

·
Registered
590 Posts
yea congratulations, every day you will feel better and better about yourself and with yourself. Before i switched i was a HUGE meat eater. Every meal had meat for sure. the day i switched was from realizing what an animal was and never looked back. i dont think it should be hard to give up at all if you truly care about the animals welfare. dotn think of it as meat, think of it as flesh. and also realize the countless number of animals lives you are saving every day

·
Registered
590 Posts
p.s there is an amazing book called, Becoming Vegetarian by Melinda and Davis. It has all the information and any question you could think of. very informative

p.p.s this website is probably just as good as any book you will buy. The people who post on this website are very intelligent with informative/strong opinions and jump to the oppertunity of helping someone.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah, weekends are great days to make pizza dough and freeze it, lentil burgers to freeze, soup in seperate bags freeze and thaw well. Also, my favorite easy meal is:

1 serving of noodle with 1 serving of beans with 1 serving of veggie with 1 cup of sauce (sauces like garlic and oil, tomato, peanut, and just some veggie broth is good.) Its easy and fast (like a good 20 minutes to make)

Also, preplan and stick a potato in the oven an hour before dinner. Theres great nutrients and things in potatoes. I like making a big potato and sticking minced garlic, mushrooms, and vegan butter on top. Sometimes I stick chilli also on top of mine. Theres tons of things.. also salads are awesome. Make a "big salad" and stick spinach, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes.. etc into a bowl then cover with a good vegan dressing. I prefer some mustard mixed with oil and a splash of vinegar. hmm good stuff.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Congratulations!

Assuming you are a beginning cook, look for recipes that call for cans of stuff (for example, you can make a good vegetarian chili with a can of black beans (rinsed and drained), a can of kidney beans (rinsed and drained), a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, an 8 oz can of tomato sauce, a box/bag of frozen veggie crumbles, and a packet of chili seasonings - heat it all up for about 30 minutes, stirring every so often so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan, and you'll have dinner for a week). You can also buy tortillas, tomato sauce, veggie pepperoni, veggies and cheese and make yourself some veggie pizzas. Pasta with marinara sauce is also pretty easy.

It takes a while to build up a good selection of dishes you like and are easy to make. Feel free to experiment. There's a good cookbook (The Student's Vegetarian Cookbook) which is geared toward easy recipes, cheap ingredients, and quick preparation which you might like, too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Totally cool for your choice..ummm if you are not succeeding in cooking tasty vegetarian food you can also try to eat Morningstar products...really good and really yummy!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Yeah, as iceblueken said, Morningstar and other companies like Boca, Yves, and Amy's make vegetarian "fake" meats and TV dinner type things. My favorites are Yves lasagna, Boca "chicken" patties, and Morningstar's veggie patties.

You may also want to search the web for vegetarian groups in your area, and lists of vegetarian (or at least veg-friendly) restaurants in your area. If you can find some decent places with good meat dishes and good veg dishes, it'll make it easier to go out to eat with the family. Many Indian and Mediteranean places are good for that.

--Fromper

·
Registered
130 Posts
Go w/ your mom to the grocery store and look in the health department. There should be a vegetarian section. Get vegetarian ribs (pure veggies -absolutely the best -- 3 minutes in the microwave). Get vegan/vegetarian meals - mock meatloaf, etc. Buy some oatmeal: Add water, heat in microwave for 1 minute. Health and tasty.

For sure, look in the vegetarian section of the grocery store.

Go to google and type in the name of your city and include "vegetarian." It should give you a listing a restaurants who also serve vegetarian options. This makes family dining easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts