VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you plan to resolve to do or not do for 2007?

I'm thinking about resolving not to buy anything I don't actually need. This would mean I would not buy more books, movies, CDs, clothes (unless, say, all my underwear wears out), shoes, kitchen gadgets, etc. I would still buy gifts for people. For my birthday and Christmas, I would offer no gift ideas except donations to specific charities.

I haven't worked out what would and wouldn't qualify as something I don't need. Does internet access at home count, when I have internet access at work?

The point of this is to help focus myself on the important parts of life. I don't think of myself as a compulsive spender, but I am a bargain hunter. When I find a good one, even if it's not something I need, I tend to buy it.

What's your purpose behind your resolutions?

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
My new year's resolution is to figure out why I never keep my new year's resolutions.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
um...

...I guess I will make some this year. I normally never bother because I expect I wont keep them, but I don't know why I think this as I've never tried.

<< still thinking about it.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I think I'll steal Skylark's resolution...not buying anything that I don't really need. It will be hard, but I'm going to try.
No, you're not allowed.
Stealing's not allowed any time, even when you're buying unneccessary things.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hmmm...

Well, I think losing weight and getting more toned is number one. Also, keeping my house clean. Also, How about doing well in school. Such easy things to keep!

Well, That's all.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My only New Year's resolution so far is to be 100% raw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I haven't worked out what would and wouldn't qualify as something I don't need. Does internet access at home count, when I have internet access at work?
Doesn't "need" mean you can't survive without it?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

My only New Year's resolutions so far is to be 100% raw.

Doesn't "need" mean you can't survive without it?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm not sure how I'll define it.

I can survive without buying more underwear if mine all wear out, too, but I don't particularly like going commando. I perhaps don't "need" to shower regularly and could thereby reduce my electric bill (<---Hot water heater. Landlord pays the water bill.)

I don't "need" to buy food becauce I could scrounge dumpsters and beg scraps from restaurants, not to mention going to local soup kitchens, but I know I'm definitely not willing to go that far.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Good point.

Although I don't think we can compare internet access to clothing, warm water (in this case, for hygiene purposes), or fresh, clean food. Maybe others can, but I personally don't put it on the list of necessities.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
veggiejanie, if my job were primarily web-based, and I needed to be able to work from home, internet access could be an employment necessity. It doesn't fall into that category for me, though. I haven't had internet access at home in the six months I've lived in my apartment. It would, however, be prudent for me to get a computer for myself so I can run Quicken. Budgeting doesn't have to happen on a computer, but it makes it much simpler. I'm not allowed to install anything on my work computer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm continuing with down sizing my life, as well as working more on my art. I hope to get at least some greeting cards published this year.

-- and Skylark, you ought to get a sewing machine. I wouldnt recommend one from Goodwill, but one from a repair place will usually be in great condition. The old style ones that run on a pedal and no electricity are great too, if you can find one. With a sewing machine and a few yards of cloth, you never "run out of clothes." You can make copies of your favorite things by making patterns from them. You can also patch clothing. I had a perfectly fitting pair of trousers that I made a copy from, and can turn out new pants when I want. I've been sewing for years-- no one ever knows if I am wearing something I bought, or something I made.

Oh, I would add that internet access is very important to me. I consider it part of my social life, and I also sell stuff on e-bay. It more than pays for itself. I actually pay all my bills on line and do a lot of stuff that saves me money. I also communicate with friends and family so, to me, it is important. If I were getting rid of anything, it would be the real telephone (land-line). I have a little pre-paied phone that serves me well enough.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

Skylark, you ought to get a sewing machine. I wouldnt recommend one from Goodwill, but one from a repair place will usually be in great condition. The old style ones that run on a pedal and no electricity are great too, if you can find one. With a sewing machine and a few yards of cloth, you never "run out of clothes."
If you looked at my closets, you'd realize there's very little chance I will run out of clothes any time in the next year. That's even after I parsed my wardrobe by a third when preparing to move. However, I don't have anywhere near the number of undergarments as I do outergarments, so that's more realistic to wear out and "need" more. I do not trust myself to make a bra, hehe.

Besides, I have no idea where I'd put a sewing machine besides the attic. And, I'd still be buying cloth, thread, etc, which I wouldn't exactly "need."

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Scaling back the unnecessary purchases is on my list for 2007 as well. My other key resolution is to limit the amount of time I spend with people who sap my energy.

I am now a compulsive flosser - which was high on my list for 2006, so resolutions do work!!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think my resolution will be to expand the family of fruits/vegetables I eat and include more dark leafy greens. I'd also like to exercise more, but who am I kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutella View Post

I am going to learn to drive. I am 30 this year and it is ridiculous that I can't drive yet!
No it's not. I'm 25, license-free, and perfectly happy being a pedestrian. It's a lot easier to not become dependent on cars when you're legally prohibited from operating them.

~Wondre

·
Registered
637 Posts
A few random goals...

Losing weight and continuing my battle with the auto-immune condition which is keeping me from exercising (which made me gain the weight in the first place). Caring for my eyes ! (my condition includes deterioration of the eyes...)

Getting a better grip on my wine consumption...

Decluttering my house.

Not fretting about unimportant stuff. Hmmm... that's a hard one I guess.

Having more sex. I'm not into sex at all anymore. Which is a total bummer for my husband.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I am planning on cutting out dairy, and just generally eating healthier.

I also plan to dance more.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i thnk this year i want to go vegan. i have tried a few times before and it didnt stick. i also want to workout more and mabey take a few college classes.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I finally decided what my ONE New Years Resolution will be:

Go to the beach more.

I have access to several beaches VERY nearby, and I hardly ever go. That's just wrong! I'm always "too busy" or I don't have my shorts with me, or some other lame excuse. Even if it's just for 10 minutes to sit on the sand and look at the water, I should do it. My housemate and I went to the beach right down the road from our house the other day. I've lived in this house for a year, and I had never been to that beach. I "sort of " knew it was there, but cuz it's a bit out of the way, I never thought of stopping there for the afternoon. and that's a crying shame, cuz it's a nice little beach with LOTS of beach glass...

yeah, beaches

1 - 20 of 66 Posts