VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every new years, my family has a big celebratory dinner. This dinner always consisted of expensive seafood like lobster tail and crab legs. Both of us have since gone vegan and were wondering what would be good celebratory and expensive vegan foods that we could eat in place of the seafood.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I found something called a "lobster mushroom" which is a mushroom that has a lobster seafoody taste. No idea where I could buy them though as I have never seen them in a grocery store before.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Not necessarily expensive, but maybe 'decadent' instead?

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Does it have to be expensive? You could do nori rolls, spring rolls, etc.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I just eat faux prawns when my family has seafood. I either have them cold dipped in a seafood sauce, or prepare them in a garlic sauce, or you can coat them with breadcrumbs and deep-fry them <--- the omni's really like those.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Asian stores often have vegan shrimp, crab, fish, etc. At least most of the ones I've been into in my area usually do. But if it were me I'd probably just come up with something really decadent that I rarely eat because it's too high in fat/calories/whatever or just is too time intensive to eat for most non-holiday meals.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Not to be off topic, but what does the vegan shrimp/crab/fish taste like? I have only tried one vegan fish fillet, and it was downright awful.

All I can think of for good expensive/decadent new years eve food is alcohol and desserts, that shows where my brain is at.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The vegan fish I had I thought was awful too. The one I had was only made up of seaweed, mushroom and bean curd so I don't know why it was so bad. The shrimp and the crab have a shrimpy/fishy taste and a dense texture and I really like them. The ones I've had are made of tapioca root and some other ingredients. I've done shrimp diablo and shrimp alfredo with them. I've used the crab in ceviche and I've also had a shrimp scampi at a restaurant with the same shrimp I buy and I was actually concerned that it wasn't vegan it was pretty crazy. They had signs up about it because a lot of people would be concerned.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

The vegan fish I had I thought was awful too. The one I had was only made up of seaweed, mushroom and bean curd so I don't know why it was so bad. The shrimp and the crab have a shrimpy/fishy taste and a dense texture and I really like them. The ones I've had are made of tapioca root and some other ingredients. I've done shrimp diablo and shrimp alfredo with them. I've used the crab in ceviche and I've also had a shrimp scampi at a restaurant with the same shrimp I buy and I was actually concerned that it wasn't vegan it was pretty crazy. They had signs up about it because a lot of people would be concerned.
Oh wow that sounds awesome, I have have to take a trek to the asian market to see if they have some!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good call on the asian store. I will definitely have to try that. Has anyone had or even heard of the lobster mushrooms before?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts