VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! this is my very first post to this forum
. i'm a brand new vegetarian and i'm a server at a restaurant that serves meat. i live in a very small town so there isn't a lot of job options to begin with plus i'm a nursing student and can only work three days a week so i'm sure they wouldn't hire me anyway. since another job is not really an option right now does anyone have advice on how to cope with this situation??

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome!

No advice here. I just want to say congrats on being vegetarian even though your job serves meat.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Well, what exactly is the problem? Are you simply grossed out by having to deal with meat or do you feel like you support meat-eating by working there? Or something entirely different?

In any case, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it grosses me out. it's mostly the smell, and all i can think about is how i'm bringing people a plate of dead animals.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Welcome to VB! I totally understand the smell issue but with limited job options... what can you do? You can attempt to find another job but sometimes we have to do things to survive that are unpleasant. I sympathize...
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Welcome to VB! Try to remember that you can only control your actions, and you are doing the right thing for yourself by being veg. Good luck in school and just think about the shinny new job you will have when you graduate!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies and support and welcomes. and yes the thought that this is just temporary does help.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
welcome, and just going to back up the other responses. In a day when we have to be thankful for having jobs, keep doing the best you can. It will only be temporary.
BTW, I'm a nurse too...good luck with school! My daughter is going to start nursing school in the fall to be a third generation, 5 member of the family to be one

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You have to work. Getting grossed out is something you may not get over. If it's your co-workers eating meat, seeing meat in the stores and in shopping carts while you shop. On and on.

And as a nurse you will have to deal with seeing meat and even feeding it to people. Super gross out. I've never become used to it. It's one of the things you will have to deal with as best as possible.

I'm so grateful I'm vegan. It can make living in this world a bit harder though.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
something you've got to get used to. i work at a hospital. as we all know, heart disease is the number one killer in america. what does the cafateria serve? traditional meat/high fat foods, of course. the salad bar maybe has tomatoes, onions, lettuce and carrots, and it's not the freshest. so what does a guy do? i bring my own.

may i ask why you became vegetarian? i didn't do it for animals. i did it for my health, then it dawned on me one day if i didn't need any animal products at all, because they're so bad for your health - then all that animal suffering is completely unnecessary.

take it a day at a time, if you relapse, don't get down on yourself. after a while avoiding animal products is second nature. it's a progression upward

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

welcome, and just going to back up the other responses. In a day when we have to be thankful for having jobs, keep doing the best you can. It will only be temporary.
BTW, I'm a nurse too...good luck with school! My daughter is going to start nursing school in the fall to be a third generation, 5 member of the family to be one
what kind of nurse are you? i float all the floors, icus, and the er.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

something you've got to get used to. i work at a hospital. as we all know, heart disease is the number one killer in america. what does the cafateria serve? traditional meat/high fat foods, of course. the salad bar maybe has tomatoes, onions, lettuce and carrots, and it's not the freshest. so what does a guy do? i bring my own.

may i ask why you became vegetarian? i didn't do it for animals. i did it for my health, then it dawned on me one day if i didn't need any animal products at all, because they're so bad for your health - then all that animal suffering is completely unnecessary.

take it a day at a time, if you relapse, don't get down on yourself. after a while avoiding animal products is second nature. it's a progression upward
i did it mainly because i can not consciously support them meat industry anymore and it's treatment of animals. the health benefits are definitely a plus too though. as for the food they serve in hospitals.. yes i agree it's kinda ridiculous. you would think a hospital of all places would serve healthy food.. at the hospital my clinicals are in my only choice is a salad as well. at least i only eat lunch there twice a week

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I'm a waitress at a restaurant that serves meat too. I've been a vegetarian for 6 1/2 years now. I think you'll eventually just disconnect yourself from it. Honestly, I'm so busy when I'm on the job that I don't think about it. People ask me all the time how food items are, I'm honest with them "I've honestly never had it, but it's a popular dish and my customers love it."

Welcome to VB

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used to work in a supermarket on the checkouts when I decided to go Vegetarian and it was quite horrible having to put meat through the till.....especially as the meat off the butcher was just shoved in a little polystyrene holder and they covered the rest with cling film! and sometimes the cling film popped or tore and there would be blood all over the conveyour belt!!!!! It was absolutly disgusting! Luckily I was in a position of being able to quit.....so I did! I will never work in a supermarket again!

I not sure what you could do in your position really....maybe suggest to the customers to try a veggie dish?? lol

·
Banned
841 Posts
I was a server for a while, and wanted to go veg very badly while doing it, but back then I was unsure about whether I could go without it or not, and having to serve it made it that much harder to go veg. Though it would piss me off to no end when I would collect plates, meat wouldn't be finished, and I'd have to throw it in the trash. Actually that made my blood boil often.

Like you, I'm a student, so my work schedule is limited too. Now, I work in a hotel doing front desk, have you thought about trying that? There's a lot of students who do that, you don't have to touch meat, and when no one is at the desk, you have time to study. Although I do have to work graveyard shift a lot, but at least the worst thing I have to deal with now is when a guest asks me where the best place is to get a steak around here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with most others that it will eventually get easier and you'll somewhat desensitize yourself.
I worked at a nursing home and had to serve pureed ham and whatnot and the smell was HORRIBLE so I started dabbing a little peppermint or lemon oil under my nose just to lessen the impact of the food I was serving.
I promise, it'll get easier, and you'll learn to deal with the fact that other people eat what they want just as you eat what you want. I'm already to the point where it strikes me as very odd to realize that the people around me are eating meat even when I'm the one who serves it to them. It's something you'll grow accustomed to and eventually it'll just be a part of your life.

PS: I'm very proud of you for taking a step in the cruelty-free direction and welcome! =D

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Does this place serve anything that could by any stretch of the imagination be considered vegetarian? if so, when making your suggestions to people, suggest those things first.
If not, suggest to the owner/manager that some items be added to accommodate the vegetarian crowd, lie and tell him that you have actually had requests, send friends in to be seated at other servers tables and have them make the request then leave if told nothing meets the request.

Work it right and you have a wonderful opportunity to bring about change in some small way.

at any rate, at least you are making a pay check, many are not right now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Does this place serve anything that could by any stretch of the imagination be considered vegetarian? if so, when making your suggestions to people, suggest those things first.
If not, suggest to the owner/manager that some items be added to accommodate the vegetarian crowd, lie and tell him that you have actually had requests, send friends in to be seated at other servers tables and have them make the request then leave if told nothing meets the request.
That's probably the most brilliant idea anyone has ever had.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

Like you, I'm a student, so my work schedule is limited too. Now, I work in a hotel doing front desk, have you thought about trying that? There's a lot of students who do that, you don't have to touch meat, and when no one is at the desk, you have time to study. Although I do have to work graveyard shift a lot, but at least the worst thing I have to deal with now is when a guest asks me where the best place is to get a steak around here.
Unfortunately, it's a HUGE pay cut if you're working at a halfway decent restaurant.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts