VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have just made the decision to become a vegetarian so this is basically my first day. I made the decision after seeing an informational program that ran late last night on a public access channel where I live. It was about factory farms and so on. After watching it I went to some of the websites listed at the end and continued to surf well beyond those. What I found was very disturbing and kept me up most of the night. It brought me to a profound realization. In my experience once youve come to a moment such as this, theres no turning back. I dont know I how I can bring myself to eat meat again. I have been such an animal lover all my life (not just birds as my nic/handle may imply) but Ive also been a huge hypocrite. This is something I abhor in other people and am quick to point out when I see it but I was guilty as charged. There is no point in remorse or regret. Im just looking forward to a life with out animal flesh in my diet. I found my way here because although intelligent, I am naive about vegetarianism. There is much to learn and I look forward to interacting with the members of this forum.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Welcome to VB!
Congrats on your decision.
If you have any questions at all about being vegetarian, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianObserver View Post

There is no point in remorse or regret. Im just looking forward to a life with out animal flesh in my diet.
what a smart and healthy approach!

Congratulations on switching to vegetarianism, and welcome to VB!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just wanted to add this to my intro thread because I didnt think it new thread worthy and usually the intro thread just dies. (big-time run on sentence). Anyway, I been a strict vegetarian for only three days now and I have to say, I feel great. Im sure for the genuine physical benefits as I am not consuming meat etc. But I think it is also because I feel a sort of psychological freedom. I have always been an animal lover and so have always been a hypocrite as I consumed meat. This carries with it a weight, a weight of not being in tune with your true self. To being out of touch with the way, the way you are naturally. The way I was naturally. I now feel free of that as I am free of it. I feel great. I have to thank the members of this board as I have spent a great deal of time here reading over the literally hundreds of helpful posts. Ive made two huge runs to the store in just the past three days in order to stock up a wide variety of veg foods. I took all the advice here that seemed logically sound and put it into immediate practice. I did this in order to make the transition easier but more importantly a healthy transition. I picked out a lot of the foods that have been recommended as nutrient rich especially with regard to those that are of particular importance to vegetarians B12, Iron, Protein and so on. This forum has been an incredibly valuable source of information and I just wanted to thank all the posters here.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Welcome! I am so glad to have a fellow birder around to chat with as well!

Congratulations on your veggie decision - many animals will be thanking you too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts