VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went veggie about 2 months ago because of some spiritual reasons, and i am worried that i am not getting all of my nutrition that i need.

I am nervous that i could have some crazy off the wall deficiency that i don't know about that could hurt me because i am noticing some odd symptoms like mental fog.. difficulty remembering.

I was hoping there is a simple easy way to match up say deficiency symptoms to recommended foods.

I have a slight case of hypothyroidism, so I am also trying to compensate for that. I recently talked with my doctor, and since i was on such a low dose of synthroid we agreed i can go without it. I want to balance it via diet, and not medication.

Food Intake:

I take a multi-vitamin daily, or near every day. I eat 1 - 3 oz of nuts typically Roasted Almonds, Cashews, and Recently added sunflower seeds.

I Take a Flack Seed Oil to make up for my Omega 3's and such.

I have 1 protein shake roughly 25g of protein and fill in with beans, some days more than others.

My fruit intake is prolly 3 - 4 oranges daily, with I would think to be around 2 - 4 cups of grapes, some blueberries or apples. I randomly over the course of a few days eat between 2 - 4 bananas.

I typically eat at least 4 servings of grains through bran flakes. and a Rice / coconut Milk.

Lately I have been eating a lot of eggs in a spinach omelets and such.

Every now and again I take a magnesium supplement with a zinc.

I regularly take a B12 complex sub-lingual liquid

I have been eating Rice to help meet my grain needs.

I am sure i have missed something, but this is a generic meal plan.

I try to follow the vegetarian food pyramid, but I think i am lacking on my greens and other vegetables.

It would be nice if there was a website the spelled it out for me on what greens to eat, and here is an easy way to eat them. (Smoothies, or Juice Drinks, Etc)

I guess i get confused on which greens to eat, and how to know if i got all that i need.

I would hate to give in before i really get settled in to it because i have convinced myself i am deficient in something or i am hurting myself.

Thanks for all the help in advance,

Thawee

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd up the greens a bit, but it seems like a pretty well rounded diet to me(aside from the eggs). What about green beans, peas, broccoli, kale? I'm eating around 2300-2500 calories a day, so I usually go well over what I need for vitamins. You probably don't need to worry about the multivitamin. I know alot of people just take B12(vegans) and get everything else from their diet.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/1966/2

I use that website when I'm looking for foods. I honestly don't know another site that gives such a detailed break down. Whenever I think of picking something different up, I search it and see if it's any good

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Have you looked at Sparkpeople.com. A number of people here, including myself, use this site. You enter the foods you eat and it will tally up the nutrients and tell you on a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis what you are consuming, and give you warnings if you are getting too little or too much of something, and the health implications. By default it calculates calories, protein, carbs, fat, and then you can set the site preferences to also include all the vitamins, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OOoo That sounds cool I will be checking that one out.. I tried Fitday, but I found the interface clunky, and it didn't seem to remember the changes I made when I customized my foods.

Cheers,

Thawee

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Fitday was the first site I tried and I gave up after 2 months. It just seemed to be a ghost site without anyone actively running it.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Here are two simple vegetarian/vegan tipsheets that you can print out and tape to your fridge:
http://www.vegansoapbox.com/getting-...d-in-veganism/

And here are two more guides with easy-to-understand and simple-to-follow veg nutrition guidelines:
http://www.theveganrd.com/food-guide-for-vegans
http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-food-pyramid.asp

Regarding your mental "fog": There are a number of things that could cause difficulty remembering things, including stress/anxiety. It's a good idea to see a doctor and get tested for various conditions. While you're there, you could have your blood checked to see if you are meeting your nutritional requirements. And if a medical doctor doesn't find anything wrong, try consulting a mental health professional.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Your diet looks really good to me. I would up the greens/vegetables, but I seriously doubt you're experiencing symptoms caused by any kind of deficiency.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Fresh greens in salads or smoothies are #1 health choice! Then come seeds, veggies and grains.
Do not worry about your protein because those are very old calculations when this protein need was determined. People do best without too much protein moreover that protein is in every vegetable otherwise they could not grow
For memory enhancement, take a very good care of your liver - clean and keep your body in alkaline level.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A rule of thumb to remember, is to eat a variety of foods. Be creative. Based on the information you have provided, it seems pretty good. Like PP said, eat more greens. Also, the only main deficiency veg*n's have to worry about is B12.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts