VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so it's only been my 3rd day as a vegetarian and today I got really sick. I had a horrible tummy ache and was basically in and out of the toilet all day long. Yuck. TO make matters worse, I've been constantly hungry. Since yesterday (day 2), I have noticed that I'm more hungry than usual. I konw people usually eat more in Winter (right?) but I'm PRETTY sure most people don't get hungry 5 mins after you finish a big meal! I had carbs (rice), protein (soy saussages and lentils) for dinner yesterday and was hungry almost immidiately after my last spoonful of food. Today I made stirfried Vermiceli noodles with carrots, 5hitake mushrooms, cabbage and vegetarian oyster sauce. And I am hungry again..20 mins after dinner. Is this normal? How do you handle it? Also, is it true that when you switch to a veg*n diet, you get sick because your body is getting rid of all the toxins? I've had people tell me that before but is that something that actually happens? One last thing.. I read somewhere that Zinc and Iron might be absent in most veg*n diets. I am doing this veg*n thing again and want to do it right. The last time I tried it, I lost SO much hair and became anaemic from the lack of zinc and Iron. I'm a bit scared because I love animals and all that but I also LOVE my hair. Anyone with any wise words to help me? Thanks in advance. Now, please excuse me while I go munch on an apple and sit in the toilet for half an hour after that.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
the frequent bathroom trips could be unrelated, and just kind of a stomach bug, but if you really have substantially changed your fiber intake in those three days, then that could be causing some discomfort. Give yourself some time to adjust to the new ways of eating. Drink a LOT of water during this changeover! That 1) will help you feel fuller, and 2) will help push all that new fiber through your system. If you're not drinking enough, then that can lead to your being a little bound up in the BR dept!

If you keep eating whenever you think you're hungry, you could start adding some pounds....stick with the water.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love giraffes :) View Post

TO make matters worse, I've been constantly hungry.
That goes away. Drove me mad for a few weeks though. Try adding more fat to your diet, that'll help too. You know how the cooking shows say add a dash of oil (and then drown stuff in it)? - do that.

Quote:
I had a horrible tummy ache and was basically in and out of the toilet all day long.
I got a bit of discomfort/bloating when I switched - more fibre than I was used it. It went away in a few weeks.

Quote:
Also, is it true that when you switch to a veg*n diet, you get sick because your body is getting rid of all the toxins?
No.

Quote:
One last thing.. I read somewhere that Zinc and Iron might be absent in most veg*n diets. I am doing this veg*n thing again and want to do it right. The last time I tried it, I lost SO much hair and became anaemic from the lack of zinc and Iron.
Try taking a supplement, if you've had problems before I'd say it's a good idea.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I am going to suggest something that may get me in trouble, but here goes.

You need to plan a limited amount of fat consumption in your diet. For lunch and dinner, plan to begin your meal with a portion of high-fat-content food. Say, for example, some cashew butter (or almond butter or some other nut butter) on crackers, or some avocado on celery sticks, or something like that. The fat content tends to signal your body that your hunger is being satisfied and tends to dampen your cravings. Not necessarily instantly, but by the time you finish your meal.

I agree with photojess about having adequate water, but would modify the suggestion to recommend that you also begin your lunch and dinner with a soup course. I just find having a bowl of soup before the entree at lunch and dinner to be very soothing. It takes the edge off hunger for me.

Now, we are obviously talking about sailing between Scylla and Charybdis here, because if you go overboard with eating high fat foods, you will gain weight. So you need to plan this aspect of your diet carefully and might have to experiment a bit.

As far as iron and zinc are concerned, I have nothing against people taking vitamin supplements. If this has been a problem for you in the past, I would supplement if I were in your shoes.

There is an excellent discussion of iron in plant foods in Brenda Davis, R.D. and Vesanto Melina, R. D., M. S., Becoming Vegan (2000). It has a detailed discussion on the needs for iron and how they can be provided on a vegan (plant-based) diet. Table 6.11 on pp. 109-110 provides the iron and zinc values per serving for about 70 foods. It's a real eye-opener in terms of which plant foods are high in iron-per-serving. Pp. 154-160 provide sample meal plans for four diets across a calorie range from 1600 to 4000, and p. 161 provides a nutritional analysis of the diets, all of which exceed the RDA (minimum) for iron and zinc.

Davis and Melina also recommend using enriched/fortified foods (like enriched white rice, enriched soy milk, etc.) to meet requirements for iron, calcium, etc.

One other thing they recommend is that when you select fat-content foods, pick those that are also high in mineral or nutrient content. For example, cashew nuts and sesame tahini are fairly high in iron content. Make your high-fat foods do double duty.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love giraffes :) View Post

One last thing.. I read somewhere that Zinc and Iron might be absent in most veg*n diets.
Davis and Melina (p. 105) cite several studies that show that the amount of iron in vegetarian diets tends to be higher than, or at least equal to, that in nonvegetarian diets. And vegans had somewhat higher iron intakes than lacto-ovo vegetarians.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was a vegetarian before, I put on a LOT of weight. It probably had to do with stress as well but I was likea marshmallow. So not sexy.
When I gave it up and started eating meat again, I lost 12 kilos and found bones on my body i never knew i had. I found my collarbones and hipbones!!! THe bones I always wanted to show off! Some of my younger cousins commented that I used to be so fat when I was a vegetarian and it got me thinking... maybe I was eating the wrong kinds of food. Too much carbs maybe? It's just as easy to gain weight on a vegetarian diet as it is on an omni diet. I'm going to look into vitamins now. And I've started drinking more water! You guys are a lot of help. This is WAY better than Yahoo answers! Thank you so much guys

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
nice link Joe! Hadn't been on her site before, but have both her veg and vegan books.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

nice link Joe! Hadn't been on her site before, but have both her veg and vegan books.
Thanks.
I have both of her books, too, but I only have the original, 1995 version of Becoming Vegetarian. It has since been updated to a new edition. The 2000 Becoming Vegan has a lot more detailed information about iron and plant sources of iron, so I think she has really improved her information over time.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I do have the New Becoming VEgetarian book, not the old one.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
include these foods for zinc and iron: peanuts, dark chocolate, wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, spinach, sesame seeds (tahini), kale, raisins, and beans.
lots of sources so you shouldn't be worried if you eat these foods regularly.

if you feel hungry so soon after you are eating, you simply aren't eating enough. just make bigger meals and eat more and you shouldn't feel hungry.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Zinc is a tough one and when I started tracking my food I found that I wasn't getting very much at all. Added a fortified cereal to take care of it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all so very much! I'll get my hands on the "Becoming Vegan" book at the library next week. I should also add that I've had this bottle of vitamin c tablets at home that also has zinc in it (I never noticed)...so yay me! All I need now is some iron rich foods and I'll be good to go. I'm really loving being a vegetarian. I'm also eating more fibre now becuase it adds bulk or something. I'm also drinking a lot more water in addition to the 2-3 cups of green tea I drink daily. I feel so HAPPY! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
good post Heather!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I suggest getting very involved in cooking. Make vegetarian versions of your favourite meals, eat superfoods as suggested a few posts above which will help with minerals, take supplements if necessary. Buy some good veg cookbooks and look online for recipe ideas. Try many different vegetables.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the food pyramid! I just had 4 servings of fruit/veg today. I'm gg to go get my 5th now.. 1/2 an avocado on toast
Thank you guys. You're all very helpful!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts