VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been a vegetarian for a couple of months now but after learning about the egg and dairy industries have decided that vegan is the way to go. Anyway, I've gotten a lot more grief from some of my friends than when i became a vegetarian, they were all pretty accepting and supporting of that. Have gotten a lot of "that's completely insane" and "so what are you going to eat now? that pretty much takes out everything". When I explain to them my reasoning, what happens, and that I can eat pretty much what ever I want as long as nothing came from an animal they still give me skeptical looks and say that I'm going too far. Anyone else have this problem? If so, any pointers on helping them understand or at least not think I'm crazy?

·
Banned
841 Posts
I switched from omni to vegan pretty much overnight, as I can't eat dairy anyway because of food allergies, and yeah, so many people thought I was crazy. Although ethnic restaurants such as Indian and Thai often have great vegan options, which is a good solution to dining out, and of course cooking for omnis and showing them how yummy it can be certainly helps too! One thing that has also been great for disarming people is when I point out that I've lost 15 lbs since I went vegan, and I am noticeably thinner now than I was when I started. Health discussions are easy to have with people, animals rights discussions are a bit more of a challenge, so I've found that I have to read people to determine how receptive they are to hearing it.

Congratulations on making the switch by the way. You'll find that in a short amount of time, both your mind and your body will feel so much better.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyliza View Post

Have been a vegetarian for a couple of months now but after learning about the egg and dairy industries have decided that vegan is the way to go. Anyway, I've gotten a lot more grief from some of my friends than when i became a vegetarian, they were all pretty accepting and supporting of that. Have gotten a lot of "that's completely insane" and "so what are you going to eat now? that pretty much takes out everything". When I explain to them my reasoning, what happens, and that I can eat pretty much what ever I want as long as nothing came from an animal they still give me skeptical looks and say that I'm going too far. Anyone else have this problem? If so, any pointers on helping them understand or at least not think I'm crazy?
Yeah... Mia can help you there...

I think alot of people get that. It changes once you've been vegan for a while and people can see that you haven't wasted away
Alot of people still think that we require dairy in our diet to stay healthy. Watching too many dairy commercials
Should see the ones they play in Ontario. It's no wonder people think vegans are crazy.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

Yeah... Mia can help you there...

I think alot of people get that. It changes once you've been vegan for a while and people can see that you haven't wasted away
Alot of people still think that we require dairy in our diet to stay healthy. Watching too many dairy commercials
Should see the ones they play in Ontario. It's no wonder people think vegans are crazy.
I'd say bite me, but then again this is a veg*n forum!

If people do talk about needing dairy to be healthy, actually it's what's causing 8 year old girls to go through puberty, so that could be worth mentioning.

·
Registered
908 Posts
If people try to tell you that we need dairy, ask them whether a lion needs zebra milk or a gorilla needs panda milk. Why would we be the big exception to need another species' milk?

Anyhoo, it's great you're going vegan and if you need our support, we're here
Often omnis won't believe that you still enjoy plenty of foods - don't try to argue with them. Calmly list your favourite vegan foods (or give them a printed-out copy) or, better yet, make some kick-ass vegan cake and give them a piece. Invite them for meals that'll make their tastebuds explode. I've never convinced people better than by shutting them up with a big piece of yummy cake

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Congratulations and I'm sorry about the grief from your friends. I get B.S. at work although I don't take it anymore.

You are still going to run into the negative. Just be secure in your decision. I sure am.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Oh, sorry people are giving you such a hard time. I would try not to take it personally, some people are probably genuinely concerned about your health. From childhood most people have it drilled into them that you have to eat dairy for calcium and you need eggs for protein, they just have a hard time getting past that mindset. If they're worried about your health I think you should just do a little research on vitamins and nutrition so they can see that you know what your doing. If they just think it would be hard to live without so many "food items" tell them what some of your favorites are or invite them over for a delicious vegan meal. Make a vegan dessert, my friends and family always love my vegan baking.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks you guys are awesome
. yes, i am trying to convince them to come over for dinner sometime and show them how awesome vegan food really is. as for the nutrition, yes they were very misinformed and had to explain to them how i would get my protein and calcium. maybe they will get used to it.. certainly hope so.
Quote:
I get B.S. at work although I don't take it anymore.
strangely, the people i've gotten the least BS from is people at work. i say strangely because i work at a restaurant that serves meat. they've all been really cool with it, and some are even like genuinely interested.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Always disheartening to hear how misinformed some people may be... for many years now people argue that a vegan diet is unhealthy; you would think that all the vegans would have died of malnutrition by now. ;^D
Just live the life you want and be happy as long as what you're doing is what you want. For as much criticism as you may receive from your choice of your diet it isn't anyone else who decides what you do. Remember to show respect to others for what they choose to do and let your way of life be an example for you so you don't need to say anything. Not only will they understand why you are living a vegan lifestyle when they see how happy and lively you are, but who knows... maybe they'll see a change in their life as well ^__^

·
Registered
892 Posts
Unfortunately when you're vegan there is always someone who feels the need to comment on your lifestyle choice. People close to me pretty much lined up to tell me why being vegan was a bad choice. However people can only come up with so many objections and you start to hear the same thing over and over. I like to have fun with it like when people ask me where I get my iron/protein I say I don't. Its funny to see their expressions.
Also its always great when one more person goes vegan.

·
Banned
841 Posts
And it always makes things a lot easier when you're walking evidence of why veganism is a good idea! I've trimmed down and my skin is clearer than ever, and I have had people ask me what I'm doing differently. If that's how I tell people I'm vegan, then it pretty much minimizes the criticism.

·
Registered
468 Posts
just keep learning about it, know about the industry, know about nutrition and know a few good recipes and how to eat. much easier to convince people when you can dispel their claims and they feel better about it when you seem like you know what you're doing.

it always kinda shocks people at first, especially if you weren't vegetarian for very long, hopefully they are good friends and will understand soon

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post

I see an increase in Vegan foods in my grocery stores. I have more options now.
every time i go shopping i find something new
living in a small town that's exciting. the are still kind of lacking but i've been making due.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.