VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I love this place.I've been lurking around for about a week now reading a lot of your posts.I just recently went vegan(a few weeks ago) and was a vegetarian for a year before that.I am married to a HUGE meat eater which makes this extremely difficult.I mean,basically his food groups are meat,cheese,and carbs.He hates fruits and vegetables.He is very supportive of me doing what I want to do but still it's hard.I'm sure some of you here can relate.There are many reasons I went vegan- I always hated the taste of red meat anyway and quit eating it when I was young,have always been a big animal lover and would go off on anyone that I saw hurting an animal even though I'm a shy person,then saw Meet Your Meat and read a lot of information on different websites and was appalled to say the least.So far,I have had no complications(other than the husband thing)and have found it a lot easier than I thought it would be.Anyway,I have no friends what so ever(being a shy introvert)other than my husband and my friend from highschool who lives in California.So it's nice to be on here free from those awkward moments of meeting people and more open to be myself and talk to people with the same views.So,hi everyone.Hope to get to know you all soon.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
cool! another anti-social person!

And you dont like hunters!!!
(if your big on this issue, PM me)

Gday and welcome to VB from you new Aussie friend Mr. Alpaca!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hey glimmermarielea!

Isn't Mr. Alpaca a cool guy? I like him a lot BTW.

Welcome and glad you liked VB while lurking!! But no more lurking from now on, and especially no more loneliness, because you have done the right thing! There are a lot of nice people here and you WILL find new friends I'm sure!!

BTW... I don't want to get you all too excited, but there's "hope" for your hubby. I was like him, if you replace the "carbs" food group with chocolate milk. So my food groups were meat (a LOT), cheese and choc. milk. And look at me now!

If you give a good example, show that you're doing great and send out the occasional, well targeted health, environmental or AR message, I think he'll more than listen. But don't forget it will be a process, not overnight. PM me for more insight

Anyhow! Let's get to know each other better! Post a lot!

See you!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hello, there! Believe me, I know what you mean about no veg friends
I have never even met a vegan in person, and I live in health-conscious Los Angeles! Lots of vegan food options here though -- love that!

Welcome.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My husband is a big meat eater too, but he enjoys trying new things. I just started stocking the house with veggie chikn patties and corn dogs and stuff and he actually likes a lot of it now.

He only eats ham and cheese sandwiches now and gets a steak if we go out to eat. Thank goodness he doesn't cook meat in the house anymore because it was grossing me out!

Overall, he's been supportive, but he started out challenging me and asking why I had made the switch. So be patient and offer many food choices to him and maybe he will come around!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi glimmer! i am new here too but already liking it a lot. i can totally commiserate with you on the husband issue- mine sounds a lot like yours. big meat eater when we met. he's made a lot of changes and now seldom has meat in the house, and like your husband is with you, very supportive of me becoming vegan. it still can be tough sometimes though.

glad you are here!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Wow.. that sounds like me and my omni s/o. He's got a lot of friends from when he went to highschool. But, none of them are "my friends" so I know how you feel. I do volunteer at the humane society and I'm going to start taking yoga so I'm thinking that I'll meet some new people who share my interests. It takes time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes.I am all ready starting to feel at home here.That Alpaca Guy-Yes I am definetly an anti-social and am also against hunting. Haven lived most of my life up in the mountains in California out in the middle of the forest seeing hunters from the city come up to shoot deer,bear,mountain lions,etc. and seeing the huge impact they had on the wildlife not to mention the cruel act of going out to kill something just to make it a trophy makes me Hugely against hunting.When I first moved there I saw a mountain lion almost every time we went out to drive to the nearest town.It slowly dwindled down to a few a year.It was horrible.Oatmeal-What made you ultimetly decide to go veg?My husband only eats poultry in the house,no red meat since I went vegetarian.Though when we go out that's a different story.But maybe your right.I guess some people it takes a lot longer to change so I guess there is still hope.I ordered 3 videos from Peta so I definetly am going to have him watch them.Chandradee-Yeah my husband likes the vegetarian corndogs too.And he likes boca ground "beef" which I use for tacos.Also,a few other things-toffutti cream cheese,toffutti cuties,silk soy milk in cereal.So, he likes all these things but he prefers the "real" stuff.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
skarrlett I'm in the same situation.My husband has a lot of friends but like you said their not my friends.I envy him a lot.It seems like he makes a new friend everyday.I can't keep track of them.And I only have one,not including him.I'm starting college in the fall for the first time ever though(I'm 24).And a lot of the college students in this town are vegans.Which is great and wonderful but I have an impossible time trying to talk to people.It was somewhat easier for me in highschool though because I was in class with them all the time and so I'd slowly get to know them.I'm hoping the same thing happens in college.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
That's already progress with your husband. Ultimately the "usual" arguments (health/environment/ethics) made me go vegan, they were simply too powerful (and true) to ignore. But, it was very important to hear them from a veg friend whom I trusted and respected. He got me listening - the arguments did the rest.

One thing I learned was this: never underestimate the power of example - it's maybe the most powerful thing there is between humans.

You don't even need to "push it" too much, IMO. Just be a happy and well informed vegan.

Good luck and hope you'll stay with us and post!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only know 3 veggies... 1 I don't really talk to anymore, and 2 live in Tucson. (I live 2 hours away) So, I feel like I am a lonely veggie. Which is why I am glad I at least have VB to get more culture and keep me in the right veggie mindset.

SO HELLO GLIMMER!
Welcome to VB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts