VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Welcome, Zoe! Yes, this place has been around for more than 10 years as a community and discussion forum for vegetarians of all flavours (including vegans (raw and cooked), lacto-, ovo-, lacto-ovo, honey eaters, etc). I hope you'll like it here!

As for talking to your family, it can be hard. Let them know you know about nutrition (and if you don't, it's time to learn!). Let them know you're concerned about health and the environment. Find vegetarian versions of your favourite recipes and learn to cook. (Don't expect it to necessarily taste exactly the same, but it should still be good!) And try new vegetarian foods that you've never tried before - there's a lot out there! And let your parents know it's possible to be a happy and well-adjusted person even if you don't eat the flesh of animals.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Zoe, as Indian Summer says, the best armor you have against your critics is your own knowledge. Learn about vegetarian nutrition, learn to cook a variety of healthy and delicious foods, and show that you are making an informed decision.

As of right now, it sounds like you actually aren't eating the most healthy of diets. There is nothing wrong with what you are eating, but where are the fruits and veggies? Do you eat whole grains when you eat bread or brown rice when you eat rice? There is plenty of vegetarian and even vegan junk food out there, so don't make the mistake of thinking a vegetarian diet is inherently healthier.

To learn about vegetarian nutrition, I recommend this website: http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=760

I also recommend buying yourself a vegetarian cookbook. They sell cookbooks especially for vegetarian beginners, students, and people on a budget. That way you can start adding different types of dishes to your line-up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts