Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Are you five years old now?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia.kachin22 View Post

I'm 21, but I've been a vegetarian for 5 years.
Ah Gotcha, Welcome!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Welcome to VB
What kind of cancer? o_0

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Had it for 2 years and with the help of chemotherapy and reiki I'm free!! I get a stem cell transplant next week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is anyone else a cancer survivor out here?? I've been getting a lot of criticism for not going a holistic route and I was wondering if anyone was in my boat??

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I think there are a few cancer survivors on VB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's cool. How long have you been a veg?? Sometimes I can't believe how long it's been....my boyfriend's recently joined me, but for different reasons. I stand up not only to cancer, but to heart disease (the original culprit to my lifestyle change)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
5 years. Vegan for 2. That's nice that your boyfriend has made the switch too

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why did you go vegetarian/vegan?? I'm about to be denied fresh flowers/food for a month!! They said I can have a few things that are fresh, but I'm going to have an allogenic transplant.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Animal rights. So everything you eat has to be cooked now?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea for at least 2 months. I joke with my oncologists saying they're denying my main food group....salad. My favorite. Next to tofu and lentils of course. It's just the bacteria and fruit flies. I'm fighting a cold as it is right now and my transplant is next week. It's pretty cool though. I mean nerve racking, but interesting because it'll prevent the cancer from coming back.
Are you a fan of PETA?? I like PETA 2 just because I can relate to the bands and celebrities that are veg. PETA's extreme. PETA 2 is a little more adolescent friendly. At least I think they are.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
PETA isn't my favorite animal rights groups. I'm a fan of Farm Sanctuary and Mercy For Animals.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

PETA isn't my favorite animal rights groups. I'm a fan of Farm Sanctuary and Mercy For Animals.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Hello!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I meant autologus instead of Allogenic...I get the two confused....the docs are using my own cells. (Side note). I've heard of those groups before. I am interested in animal rights because I think it's absolutely disgusting the way they're treated. Yes they were sent to this earth for people to eat....maybe in the beginning of time, but think about how red meat and poultry has led to heart disease, cancer, and a variety of flu viruses. It's replusive.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
They are great organizations. Have you watched "Earthlings"?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia.kachin22 View Post

Is anyone else a cancer survivor out here?? I've been getting a lot of criticism for not going a holistic route and I was wondering if anyone was in my boat??
Me!

I was thinking and researching holistic cures, but in the end decided surgery and removal of lymph nodes was best. I was pregnant at the time and wanted to get it all cut out so I didn't risk spreading it to my baby, or have to deliver early so I could get chemotherapy. I just didn't want to take any chances (although I worry about taking my chances with chemicals as well) Luckily they cut it all out and I am still cancer free for a little over 3 years. My baby is almost three as well- and doing great.

Welcome to VB- congrats on kicking cancers *ss!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts