VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to try my best to be vegetarian. I'm cutting out meat (obviously) and a lot of dairy. Previously I ate a lot of diary and grains, not a lot of meat really. I love veggies and fruit but I need some suggestions for meat replacements. I'm trying to avoid soy so tofu is out. I love nuts and peanut butter but I'm hoping to find some sandwich ideas that are vegetarian or even vegan. I've been eating a lot of hummus lately...but there have to be other options out there. Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't eat soy so I haven't even tried any veggie 'meats'. I had falafel for the first time recently (chick pea patties), in a pita with the normal veggies you'd expect on a sandwich and really enjoyed it. I love hummus, bean burritos, bean tacos, burgers made from mushrooms or chopped veggies, etc. but it sounds more like you are looking for sandwiches that you can make ahead of time? The only thing I've been able to take from home is peanut butter or almond butter, but that gets boring quickly. I normally buy my lunch because I'm not creative enough to come up with good ideas for food that can sit for a few hours before eating.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArienEllariel View Post

I'm trying to avoid soy so tofu is out.
You should try a product called Quorn. It's a meat replacement made from mycoprotein. There's also gluten, a faux meat that is used in Asian cooking. It's known in your country as Seitan. Some companies also make patties made from chick peas and lentils etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oooh I'll be on the lookout for Quorn. Where can I find Seitan?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't seem to agree with me if eaten in large quantities. Plus I've heard some pretty bad stuff about it especially related to the female reproductive cycle. I've got enough problems with that already.. I don't need to add issues caused by soy into the mix.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Here is a database of veggie meats:
http://meatalternatives.org/

You can't (yet) search by ingredient but you can see all your options and the investigate each product.
Off the top of my head I can recommend Field Roast and Sunshine Burgers. Both are soy-free and yummy.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
grill some eggplants, zuchinni and PORTOBELLO mushroom. it is in caps because it is perfect for a new vegetarian for sandwiches. very "meaty" texture when done right

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySunshine View Post

beans, chickpeas, lentils! Nuts, or seeds..I really like seed butters!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

grill some eggplants, zuchinni and PORTOBELLO mushroom. it is in caps because it is perfect for a new vegetarian for sandwiches. very "meaty" texture when done right
Great advice from everyone who's posted, but I second these two posts in particular. All of these foods are WONDERFUL. Also avocado -- it's botanically fruit, but it's full of healthy fat and therefore quite filling. I make homemade guacamole with mashed avocado, crushed garlic, diced tomato, freshly-ground black pepper, and a bit of lemon juice. IT IS SO GOOD!! And so versatile -- works great as a dip to have with corn chips, a topping for pretty much any mexican dish, and a spread to put on sandwiches. Also, unseasoned avocado goes really well with hummus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts