VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to become a vegetarian. I'm getting a little advanced in years- not old by any means, but of an age where concern over my health becomes a little more important. It is my hope here that I can gain some information as well as tips, since it is very difficult, so far. I often find myself "falling off the wagon", so to speak, and thought I could find options which would make my decision easier to live with. Looking forward to meeting everybody!

Oh, and is it necessary to be a "newbie"? I'm a 43 year old man who has done many things in life, and the title kind of sticks in my craw!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
New to vegetables?
Really?

Welcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really new to vegetables, but still relatively new to them being other than a side dish! I honestly think it's mostly mental (at least with me).

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
We Americans are rather unique in our entrée=meat thing.
Other cultures come to the U.S. and are rather shocked by our lack of vegetables in our breakfast.
In fact, a lot of ethnic restaurants are "Americanized" in that they have adopted the entrée=meat thing.

(FYI: on this board, "veg*n" is a term that includes both vegans and vegetarians)
Frustrated by this, most veg*ns will say that veg*nism opened their eyes to a whole world of foods that they otherwise would never have tried.

What is your favorite ethnic food? Mexican? Japanese? Thai? Italian? Indian? Buy some cookbooks, or find them at your public library. There really is a whole world of food out there to be discovered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I have been doing what you suggested- spent a chunk of time in Korea back in my Army days, and will eat kimchi (all varieties) and rice until it comes out of my ears. The problem is that it's hard to make, and I find my formerly excellent cooking skills challenged by a veg*n diet. I suppose I need to expand a bit- going in to this, I honestly thought it would be as simple as omitting meat, but I was wrong!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I felt like I had to "re-learn" how to cook, too. Those little minute-steaks were my favorite snack.

You'll pick a few go-to dishes that you like, and keep trying new things as well!

Bean burritos and spaghetti come to mind right off as being naturally vegetarian.

Also, everyone here on VeggieBoards just loves bragging about their food. I'm sure you'll pick up a few good ideas. Don't be too shy to leave your own comments or ask questions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.