1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, my name is Kelly

i am a 20 year old male who lives in spokane, WA

I became a vegan about 6 months ago..

I thought i would describe my philosophy and see how other people felt about it and find some people who might agree...

My reason for being a vegan is simply that I do not wish to cause harm to any beings when it is not necessary for my survival, and or sanity.

Some ask, would you eat an animal if you were dying of hunger? I say simply this: when someone is starving to death all rationality flies out the window, and once more I do not think that basical survival is wrong..I simply feel that it is not necessary for me to make something else die/suffer when i do not need it to survive.. (note: i would not eat my pets even in the face of death , they are family to me)

(further note: 7 chinchillas , 1 rabbit, 1 african dwarf frog)

I use no animal products that kill and or torture the animals.., (that I am aware of) , and when I do find out something I use has them in it I make sure not to purchase it again...

another common thing that is addressed by skeptics is that even some vegan products may harm animals....(such as worms in a field where you grow your vegetables getting killed)..what i think is that survival involves damaging other species at times but that it is important to minimalize this damage and that respect for life actually benefits all species including our own..

I am not against animal products that do not harm, kill and or torture an animal/insect etc....I promote stanards amongst products in hope that these types of products will be extracted as humanely as possible..i do think that we can work together with some animals to improve life overall for all beings

I am somewhat of what i think is a "realist" when it comes to how i handle eating situations..

i personally do not have a problem if for instance: someone is having a barbeque and I my veggie burger happens to bump into their meat patty, or if a small amt grease gets dripped on it

i do not feel that this goes against my goal.. i am not creating a demand and or benefitting from an animal product, mine simply may come in contact with theirs.. I can understand how it might bother other people to have this done to their food..and I mean no disrespect....I am just trying to see if other people see this like I do or not..

i apologize if i jump around or repeat myself but I havent used message boards much and look forward to getting to know everyone on here..

-kelly-

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
G'day! You sound similar to me, but I'm not vegan, a vegetarian cutting out dairy. I buy certified organic free range eggs coz I don't think they're cruel. Anyway it's mostly my doggies that get the eggs not me! You piqued my interest when you mentioned where you live, I'm in your city in 16 days! (I'm Australian, and travelling to america for 2 weeks). Not there for very long though

Welcome to the board, we're (mostly) very open-minded and accepting.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hello Schu

I'm realtivly new myself so I don't know if I'm in a postion to welcome you just yet!

But so long as no one has any objections i would like extend my warmest welcome anyway :p

Did you choose your name because you are a Motorsport?Schumacher Fan?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Welcome. I think you'll find a lot of people here who feel exactly the same as you.

BTW, I am moving this to the intro forum.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi there, I'm from Redmond Washington, not too far from you. Right now I'm in Ellensburg (CWU).

I'm almost 20, so we have quite a few things in common. I am female though
so there is a difference.

I am kind of fresh to the whole vegan thing too, just a little "fresher" than you (2 months or so).

Welcome to the boards (feels weird to welcome people when I've only been here for less than a week myself)

Anna

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schu

first off, my name is Kelly

i am a 20 year old male who lives in spokane, WA

I became a vegan about 6 months ago..

I thought i would describe my philosophy and see how other people felt about it and find some people who might agree...

My reason for being a vegan is simply that I do not wish to cause harm to any beings when it is not necessary for my survival, and or sanity.

Some ask, would you eat an animal if you were dying of hunger? I say simply this: when someone is starving to death all rationality flies out the window, and once more I do not think that basical survival is wrong..I simply feel that it is not necessary for me to make something else die/suffer when i do not need it to survive.. (note: i would not eat my pets even in the face of death , they are family to me)

(further note: 7 chinchillas , 1 rabbit, 1 african dwarf frog)

I use no animal products that kill and or torture the animals.., (that I am aware of) , and when I do find out something I use has them in it I make sure not to purchase it again...

another common thing that is addressed by skeptics is that even some vegan products may harm animals....(such as worms in a field where you grow your vegetables getting killed)..what i think is that survival involves damaging other species at times but that it is important to minimalize this damage and that respect for life actually benefits all species including our own..

I am not against animal products that do not harm, kill and or torture an animal/insect etc....I promote stanards amongst products in hope that these types of products will be extracted as humanely as possible..i do think that we can work together with some animals to improve life overall for all beings

I am somewhat of what i think is a "realist" when it comes to how i handle eating situations..

i personally do not have a problem if for instance: someone is having a barbeque and I my veggie burger happens to bump into their meat patty, or if a small amt grease gets dripped on it

i do not feel that this goes against my goal.. i am not creating a demand and or benefitting from an animal product, mine simply may come in contact with theirs.. I can understand how it might bother other people to have this done to their food..and I mean no disrespect....I am just trying to see if other people see this like I do or not..

i apologize if i jump around or repeat myself but I havent used message boards much and look forward to getting to know everyone on here..

-kelly-
From what I've been able to gather, a majority of vegans at this board have very similar outlooks to yours, so you should feel right at home. Welcome.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the boards, Kelly!
I agree with epski, I think a lot of people here have your outlook, including myself.
I'm sure you'll fit in just fine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts