VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone

ok first off i am a lacto- ovo-Pescetarian so i don't know if this site is for me but i hope you girls/guys can help, so i get these questions from really narrow minded people and i need some comebacks to shut them up or make them think!

so here are the questions:

1, So you don't eat chicken but you still eat eggs?

2, you don't eat beef, but you still drink milk? but doesn't milk cow from cows?

also is there any site i can go to for info on comebacks or FAQs on why we are the way we are?

thank you for any help you can give me!

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmquestions View Post

2, you don't eat beef, but you still drink milk? but doesn't milk cow from cows?
Some do. Depends on what type of vegetarian they are. Vegans don't consume eggs or dairy products. With vegetarians it'd be a personal decision whether they wanted to or not.

·
Banned
34 Posts
I'm absolutely NOT a vegetarian, a vegan, or ANYTHING.

But I prepare and eat a lot of meatless meals, I'm picky about where my food comes from, when people offer me nice food that they care about I eat it - whether it's from my "birth culture" - East Coast Italian American Pasta and Sauce - or something strange and foreign - like, mm, shellfish? oh, or..wait, is that filled with cabbage? it smells good.

I am hesitant to feel guilty about really nice food that was offered to me by really nice people who where...just being friendly.

Is there really an ethical reason I should alienate all the Waiters, Chefs and Grandmothers in the world?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmquestions View Post

hello everyone

ok first off i am a lacto- ovo-Pescetarian so i don't know if this site is for me but i hope you girls/guys can help, so i get these questions from really narrow minded people and i need some comebacks to shut them up or make them think!

so here are the questions:

also is there any site i can go to for info on comebacks or FAQs on why we are the way we are?

thank you for any help you can give me!
I am new here as well and perhaps someone will have just the information you are seeking but...

I would guess that you don't need a FAQ on why you are the way you are. Why are YOU lacto-ovo-pesco? Whatever that answer is - that is YOUR answer and I suspect it is a better answer for why you are the way you are than any answer an FAQ could give you.

Angel

·
Registered
927 Posts
Everyone has their own reasons for eating what they do and avoiding what they avoid. You need to find your own reasons; we can't give them to you. On the way, as you explore your own motives and beliefs, you may decide to change your diet.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

Everyone has their own reasons for eating what they do and avoiding what they avoid. You need to find your own reasons; we can't give them to you. On the way, as you explore your own motives and beliefs, you may decide to change your diet.
Ditto. I have no idea why you would eat eggs but not chicken, or why you would eat milk but not beef. You would have to tell us... Whatever your reasoning is, it's your choice, so you shouldn't have to defend what you put in your mouth to other people. If your reason is, "beef grosses me out, but milk doesn't," then that's your reason.

·
Registered
912 Posts
This is one of those cases where I'd answer "That's right" if someone asked whether I didn't eat Chicken but did eat eggs. My reasoning has been that it is not necessary to kill the chicken in order to eat eggs, but it is necessary to kill the chicken to eat the chicken (or chicken stock, for that matter). Usually, though, I stick with "Yes" or "That's right". The same reasoning applies to milk - it is not necessary to kill the cow in order to get the milk.

I've learned on these boards, though, that while it may not be necessary, the food industry doesn't always follow these guidelines. So, as I am not ready to make the leap to veganism, I try to stick with organic free-range eggs and dairy products.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cftwo View Post

My reasoning has been that it is not necessary to kill the chicken in order to eat eggs, but it is necessary to kill the chicken to eat the chicken (or chicken stock, for that matter). The same reasoning applies to milk - it is not necessary to kill the cow in order to get the milk
But in order to produce eggs or milk commercially on any scale (even small, organic, "free-range", etc) it is necessary to kill them- (because allowing the animals to live (i.e. feeding, sheltering, providing medical care for them) for years once they are not optimally profitable "producers" after a year to a few years of their would-be much longer lifespans is extremely costly and thus to do so would erase commercial viability.

This goes also for the offspring of the dairy cows whose milk is only produced in order for the babies to drink because they are impregnated- so, instead of letting them (the babies) live either, we kill them off and many even on the organic dairies- especially the boys- become veal. Girls replace their mothers for 4-5 years of slavery and having their babies taken away before they, like their mothers, are slaughtered and turned into hamburgers). All meat AND milk AND egg animals are killed- they have to be; that's how the system works.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I'm surprised you get the "So you don't eat cows or chickens but you eat dairy and eggs?"

I would think you'd get the "So you don't eat cows and chickens, but you eat fish??"

·
Registered
267 Posts
My reason for eggs but not chicken is also that nothing dies to make eggs. If you are having this argument with sub-intelligent people, there is a fair chance that they will try to persuade you that the egg will grow into a baby chicken. NOT TRUE. Food eggs are unfertilized and can be incubated for ever, but they wont hatch. I go out of my way to source eggs and dairy from places which do not support the meat industry.

Really though, if people are asking the question of you, they want your answer. The above is my reason for the meat / dairy distinction, but yours may be different. Think about it and see what you come up with. If you cant see a distinction then maybe you want to think about unleashing your inner vegan.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenarmadillo View Post

My reason for eggs but not chicken is also that nothing dies to make eggs... I go out of my way to source eggs and dairy from places which do not support the meat industry.
Every commercial egg farm is involved with the killing of the chickens involved. If not on the premises, then sending the animals (once no longer "productive" ie profitable enough) to a slaughterhouse or offsite to another commercial operation where they will ultimately end up killed. Also, for every hen they use to lay eggs (even with "free-range") there is a male chick who was killed at the hatchery she comes from (by crushing, being suffocated or ground alive, most often).

People would love to think otherwise, but buying eggs does directly fund killing chickens and there are just no two ways about it. I challenge anyone who insists otherwise to provide the name and number of a single commercial egg operation which neither kills/has anyone else kill any of the birds -ever- nor sources birds who can't be traced back to a commercial hatchery where killing takes place.

You don't have to take my word for it- call the companies and ask the following questions:

1)where they get "their" hens

2)what happens when the hens are "spent"

3)what happens to the roosters if they allow any fertilization/hatching on site

4) what happens to the baby male chicks at the source they get "their" hens from

Not a single commercial egg farm can answer those four questions honestly without admitting that, like all other commercial animal agriculture, they're responsible for killing animals in the consumer's name.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenarmadillo View Post

If you are having this argument with sub-intelligent people, there is a fair chance that they will try to persuade you that the egg will grow into a baby chicken.
I have often found that there are people who are extremely knowledgeable in some area's in life, yet ignorant in others. This is not a function of intelligence. That it was not possible for an egg destined for the supermarket to turn into a baby chicken, for instance is new information, for me. I have seen it here on this site a few times in the last week or so but prior to that I was ignorant of that fact. In spite of that ignorance I have degrees in mathematics and physics, speak five languages, am a past (I have let my membership lapse) member of mensa and am a published author under contract for two more books.

In addition to the egg thing - I also don't know what color fuschia is, can't seem to cook a squash right and can never remember which side of my own car the gas tank is on. We are all intelligent about some things.

Angel

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I assumed it was one of the links made during high school biology lessons that stuff needs to be fertilized in order to grow into a new animal, and as the male chickens are all off being slaughtered and eaten, they arent there to fertilize the hens eggs. I guess if you didnt know there weren't any males there, or just never stopped to think about it, then it wouldn't be obvious at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts