VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahh so as I said I'm new to both goin all the way in being vegan but iv also just started relying on coffee! Will you all please help me in what to order at coffee shops cuz I don't know terminology or anything at those places so I really don't know what I want I just know I will try anything. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
How you order depends on the coffee shop. As a general rule, coffee shops should have soy milk available for you. If you're unsure about any other ingredients in their drinks (example, if their hot chocolate has milk powder) check on the website or ask to read the ingredients. Also make sure they don't put any whipped cream on. If they don't understand what vegan means, try telling them you're lactose intolerant.

My favorite drink is a grande soy no whip peppermint mocha.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

As a general rule, coffee shops should have soy milk available for you.
lol, you must live in the city. The only coffee shop I've been to that had soymilk was a Starbucks in NYC.

I just order a small black. Doesn't matter where I am, the terminology's always the same. Even the people at Starbucks don't care what you call it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think this is what you're asking...

Most coffee shops here with have soya milk, even the independant ones. I wouldn't worry about all the silly names - if you say small, medium or large it doesn't matter where you are you'll get what you want, even if technically it isn't a medium it's a grande or whatever.

I am going on memory but I think a lattee is esspresso with milk, a cappichino esspresso, hot water and frothy milk, and a mocha is hot chocolate and esspresso, and americano (sometimes it has different names) is espresso and hot water. You can usually also get a filter black coffee, or a filter coffee with soy milk which is cheaper, and hot chocolate. Oh and obviously espresso on it's own.

You can also add syrups, or extra espresso. So if you like coffee stronger you add (or can take away) espresso shots (most drinks usually have 2 I think, so you can ask for just 1, or add an extra). Syrups are, in my experience, pretty much always vegan, and they are sweet and things like peppermint, caramel, vanilla, etc. BUT if you get a "chia latte" or "gingerbread latte" then don't just assume it's made with syrups - often these are made with mixes which aren't always/often vegan.

Always say no to whipped cream, chocolate dust on cappichinos is just cocoa powder so should be okay, but no to chocolate flakes/etc as well as they wont be vegan.

I think that's all I can think of! I'm allergic to soya milk now, and the only thing I miss is coffee shop fancy coffees... they're more like desserts really. I never took milk or sugar in filter coffee though as I always loved black coffee, so I just have black coffees or americanos now. My favourite used to be hot chocolate with peppermint syrup OR mochas OR cappichino with amaretto syrup
I sometimes make rice-milk hot chocolates at home with amaretto syrup though
YUM.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

lol, you must live in the city. The only coffee shop I've been to that had soymilk was a Starbucks in NYC.

I just order a small black. Doesn't matter where I am, the terminology's always the same. Even the people at Starbucks don't care what you call it.
I live in a Podunk and even our coffee shop has soy milk lattes.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
If I know ahead of time that I will be going to a coffeeshop that doesn't offer soy milk I'll bring a small travel size bottle of soy milk with me.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

My favorite drink is a grande soy no whip peppermint mocha.
Ooooo...this sounds good! I'm going to have to remember it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

If I know ahead of time that I will be going to a coffeeshop that doesn't offer soy milk I'll bring a small travel size bottle of soy milk with me.
I do the same!

I have yet to find a Dunkin' Donuts that has soymilk. I've written to them several times and all I get is a generic response saying how they try hard to please their customers, yadda, yadda, yadda...and yet no soymilk.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It's not just about milk. find the source of the sugar in the syrups. Write to the company and get an answer. There are tons of small home-grown coffee shops and also the big chains. No one size fits all.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I always just get a medium black americano. in starbucks etc i never bother with vendi grande bla bla, they know what medium means ha. Americano is an espresso (super thick gloopy strong coffee served in those little cups) with hot water tipped in it. That way you get super strong coffee buzz but it takes a while to drink. and I find its nicer than normal "filter" coffee. Never had a coffee with any kind of milk in it. I was vegan before I appreciated coffee, so dont know what im missing ha.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I do the same!

I have yet to find a Dunkin' Donuts that has soymilk. I've written to them several times and all I get is a generic response saying how they try hard to please their customers, yadda, yadda, yadda...and yet no soymilk.
Lol I was specifically thinking about DD when I wrote that. I've gotten the same response every time I write them also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I have yet to find a Dunkin' Donuts, lol.
They are on every corner here it seems. No Starbucks at all but Dunkin Donuts are everywhere.

·
adapt. evolve. become
1,374 Posts
The Dunkin Donuts close to my house does not have soy milk.. Um haven't asked other DDs.
There is plenty of Starbucks around here that have it, but I rarely go there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

That's a greAt idea... I should have mentioned this... I can't have soy... So I'll do that with ricedreams rice milk!! Mmmmm
I was actually thinking of doing it but didntvreally think far into it... So I'll now keep it in mind, thanks for reminding me of that awesome thought.... I wonder if the would make a latte out of the rice milk I bring lol.....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Yeah, of all the Dunkin Donuts I've been to they never have soy milk. I don't even like milk in my coffee I just ask out of curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I have yet to find a Dunkin' Donuts, lol.
think it's mostly an east coast thing

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

Yeah, of all the Dunkin Donuts I've been to they never have soy milk. I don't even like milk in my coffee I just ask out of curiosity
DD doesn't have soy, but they're a donut shop, not specifically a coffee shop like Starbucks. Every coffee shop I've been to, even in south Texas and small town in Florida had it. Love soy

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janellmariee View Post

That's a greAt idea... I should have mentioned this... I can't have soy... So I'll do that with ricedreams rice milk!! Mmmmm
I was actually thinking of doing it but didntvreally think far into it... So I'll now keep it in mind, thanks for reminding me of that awesome thought.... I wonder if the would make a latte out of the rice milk I bring lol.....
You can also use hazelnut, hemp, oat, or almond milk
You've got lots of options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

You can also use hazelnut, hemp, oat, or almond milk
You've got lots of options.
i do like hazelnut and almond milk!
i dont like hemp.... but i do like hemp protein powder

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.