VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I am new to this board and "new" to vegetarianism (is that a word? LOL) I say "new" because I was a vegetarian for a year about 6 years ago and went back to eating meat. I have never felt as good as I did when I was a veg. and have decided to go back, esp. Because I am about 70lbs overweight right now and not feeling my best at all.
I have swolen ankles because of the added weight. I am tired all the time. And my system feels so sluggish. I believe that going veg can help! For now I am going vegetarian, but I would like to lean more towards vegan diet. I have to take it one step at a time. I would like to cut dairy down as much as possible, as well as egg products. But I am so nervous about ending up with a diet full of carbs, esp since I need to lose so much weight.

I am looking for inspiration and some ideas from anyone who wants to share. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hi gracelove! Welcome! and good on ya for your decission! Check out the Hamster thread in this forum. We are a group of folks that encourage each other. We post are work-outs and issues we have with weight loss and fitness. Just jump in!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi gracelove and welcome! I have lost 65-70lbs in the past year and attribute it largely to cutting dairy out of my diet (along with daily exercise.) I have been vegetarian for years but only found the motivation to cut out the dairy when my second daughter was born and seemed to de sensitive to dairy in my breastmilk. I'm calculating the weight I have lost from my pre-pregnancy weight so it has been quite significant! I have never eaten eggs but I was consuming a large amount of fat from my dairy intake. I say go for it and cut it out! Cut out the obvious sources of dairy first (cheese, ice-cream, yogurt, milk) and don't really worry about dairy ingredients in bread, cereals, baked goods, etc. Don't be afraid of carbs either! I eat tons of carbs! Try to vary your grains and keep them whole grain if possible. Eat beans, soy, tons of veggies, fruit, rice, pasta, and drink tons of water. Try to incorporate new foods that you've never had before so you don't feel deprived...it's like a new adventure!

As you start losing weight you will feel more active and you need to increase your exercise. It's addictive...yes, check out the hamster thread! The support is great. Best to you!

Christa

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, you guys! I am African American and I KNOW I am lactose intolerant (as many AA tend to be) so cutting dairy is really something I need to do. Thanks for the advise and I will go check out that other thread.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Hi GraceLove -

Welcome.

This is a really good place to share ideas and get peer support.

I feel for your lack of tolerance for dairy. Silk soymilk is really good stuff if you haven't already tried it. My daughter isn't veg, and she drinks it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never had a significant weight problem, but it wasn't until I went vegan that the last bit of unneeded fat went away (about 10 lbs). It truly just melted away and never came back. My sleep improved, my energy seriously increased, my "seasonal" allergies went away, my emotions became more steady and balanced.

I just can't say enough positive stuff about veganism. Actually, I can't think of anything negative about veganism. Well, except learning that something you like and thought was vegan actually is not.

Here's a real treat for you:

Organica cookies dipped in Vanilla Silk Soymilk... makes me feel like I'm cheatin', but I'm not! Soooo yummy. Gosh, those Organica cookies are amazing :0)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts