VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am pregnant, so will soon be a new mum and was just wondering on how to feed babies on a vegan diet? I know for the beginning baby will have breast milk so that isn't an issue but I was wondering a few months down the line when baby starts eating solids what the best things to do would be?

Me and baby's dad are vegan (fairly new to it though) and our families are saying that we cannot give a baby all she/he needs on a vegan diet, so we're a little confused now.

We live a fairly eco hippie lifestyle so having vegan foods in will never be an issue, it's just all very very new to us! So any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
When my sisters had their children I remembered jars of baby foods that were fruits and veggies. So my thought is purred veggies and fruits. I am not a mom yet but when we do we are homemaking our baby food.
Anyhow Congrats on the upcoming new arrival

·
Registered
622 Posts
I wouldn't stress too much, if you have a pretty wide diet then baby will be okay.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant, thanks! I will have a red through of the article

I guess it's just nerves coming now!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontë View Post

Brilliant, thanks! I will have a red through of the article

I guess it's just nerves coming now!
Just breathe and relax

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing to consider: you don't have to do baby food.

Both of my sons were breastfed, one was supplemented with soy formula. But both ate whatever we ate at meals, just cut into small pieces. It was easy, and it introduced them to a wide range of foods at an early age. I have never spooned food into a baby's mouth - I let them lead the way. Both are happy, healthy, and were fat babies. And even at 18 months, the youngest eats dinner with us like a pro (tonight was cellophane noodles with seitan, ****take mushrooms and other veggies, braised bok choy, and spring rolls).

ETA: Hilarious that "****take mushrooms" are swear words!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Both of our kids are vegan ages 5 and 2. With our first, we would use mashed veggies around 6 months (they were both breastfed before that). With our 2nd , we just cut up our food and it was fine. No problems at all. Between that and breastfeeding, our kids are superstars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts