VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sararie, there are two different CSA's here in ABQ. One is Los Poblanos Farms. I love their stuff. The other is called ERD I think,though I cannot remember what it stands for...Los Poblanos has a good website to check out.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That I'm not sure about - the demographic should be pretty vegan-friendly, but whether it's big enough to actually provide options, I don't know. Haven't been there myself, just lived in the southern NM for many years.

A quick google search doesn't seem to encouraging. There's a co-op grocery, but didn't see anything positive in restaurant listings.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Froggythefrog

Thank you for all your recent (Nov) postings here. I will be moving to Abq at the end of next summer, and the list of restaurants will be very helpful. I've spent a lot of time in Abq, but I pretty much have only eaten at 20 Carrots. They're great, but it'll be nice to have more options.

Invictus

·
Registered
0 Posts
Looks like I am moving to Hobbs, NM in the next month or so, then on to Silver City in May or so. I'd rather stay in Colorado, but such is life.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Hee Hee.... I know little about it, except that they have a place where you can choose what goes into your stirfry, so with some adjustments, you can make it vegan (I think I had to opt out of their sauces entirely).

Everyone has a Texan accent, and you might learn to chaw, but they're fairly metropolitan for being in that corner of the state. Don't get me wrong, the town looks tiny to me, but it's not the "gas station" town that most of the towns around there seem to be.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I visited Hobbs a couple times, some years ago. It felt depressing; an old oil town on the decline. Very bleak.

Sorry.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
That's the general atmosphere of that corner of New Mexico. It's been like that my entire life (except it seemed they had a lot more oil drills when I was a kid.) I usually go down that way to visit my folks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi. I'm moving to Albuquerque and am a vegetarian who is transitioning to veganism (I'm there on food, but I'm wearing out my shoes, etc.). Can you suggest some employers who might be more vegan friendly than others in that area? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Employers? What do you do for a living, Bapace?

If you're just looking for an odd job, Annapurna is a mostly vegan restaurant that may or may not have openings.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hiya -- I'll check out the restaurant. I've done a little of everything

Marketing manager (creating materials, not sales)

Magazine editor/writer

Newspaper photographer/writer

Computers (database development; some Enterprise)

Document control (setting up and maintaining electronic filing systems)

Human resources

Display design

Some accounting (Invoicing, general Accounts payable, general accounts receivable)

Office manager

I've worked for engineering and insurance companies for the last few years. In Indiana, where I live now, they tend to be less friendly to "alternative lifestyles" like veganism, so I'm looking for a company where I'm likely to find interesting folk, as work is usually the first place you meet folk when you move to a new city. The actual "job" is less important than the environment. (My husband is older, and he's starting a second career there-- I'm glad to move, as I grew up in the west and love it.)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, and I look forward to any others.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
bapace; froggy also heads up a Vegetarian Meetup group http://vegetarian.meetup.com/420/ that gets together monthly for potlucks, hikes, other stuff. I think they went to the Petroglyphs a few weeks ago and I'm SO jealous...

Even while job-hunting, you could check that out, as a way to meet people in the area.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
If you're just looking for an environment where people are open-minded to vegans, I don't think you will have a lot of problem. Though they tend to be deep in the woodwork, there are a lot of vegetarians here. I get jokes and a little ribbing at my software engineering job, but when it comes to gatherings and whatnot, I am taken care of.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look up the vegetarian meet up group once we get moved. The petroglyphs sound cool; what a great idea!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.