VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im a new member on here and first i'd like to say these boards look great, really friendly.

The question i wanted to ask is this.... I've been vegetarian now for about 6 months and i'm managing it no problem. Up to now i've managed my family eating meat, although since i became veggie they've eaten considerably less meat. My boyfriend is more than happy to eat veggie most of the time and i have 2 children, one aged 9 and one aged 2. The 2 year old doesnt eat much meat anyhow.

Basically the other day i watched the 'Meet your Meat' video and since then have found the idea of 'our' money buying meat. I dont like the idea of having it in the house or cooking it.

I wondered if others have faced this problem and how they dealt with it? My boyfriend has said we can buy virtually no meat and if the children want to eat any when out thats okay but not at home. I wouldnt stop my children eating fish as both of them love it and i would be a little concerned with their diet as neither of them eat too many different types of food. I personally dont eat fish but i do consider it slightly different to chicken/pigs/cow etc. I understand this is just my opinion, but i believe that chicken/cows/pigs have a far worse time whilst alive and their deaths are worse too.

Am i being far stopping my children having meat at home? I'm not sure what else i can do apart from giving it to them at home and feeling ill myself!

Any advice, thanks

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
It'sn perfectly reasonable to have a veggie home if your boyfriend is happy with it. When the kids are older, if they're unhappy with the arrangement, there may have to be more negotiations. But I think if you can swing things 'your way' with very minimal drama that's great and you should go for it, and be proud and happy you have an understanding and open minded boyfriend.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your kids are young enough to eat whatever you make for them. As long as they're getting enough vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc., having veggie kids shouldn't be a problem. Your 2 year old certainly doesn't know yet whether he/she likes or needs meat and your 9 year old is young enough to adjust. Good luck!

·
Registered
489 Posts
My husband and I have been vegetarian for a year. I didn't force it onto my children, but I did cut back their meat consumption a lot and slowly introduced new foods. About 3 months ago my 11 year old decided he wanted to eliminate meat completely. The younger two still have a small amount of meat but no longer expect it all the time. Quite often they are happy with veggie burgers or soy hotdogs, everybody loves lentil lasagne. If you are happy with them eating fish I think that is a fair compromise. The two year old should accept the changes pretty smoothly, but nine year olds can be a bit strong willed. Good luck

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
That's how I handled it. No meat comes in the house and explained why. (there are great children's books out there if you need help). They were allowed to order what they wanted when out, but we stopped fast food altogether, only sit down places. Eventually, they didn't want meat at all. I have one who's vegetarian and my youngest is vegan (an quite the AR activist).

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Welcome, Twinkle.

I think it's great that your boyfriend is willing to have a vegetarian home. If I were you, I would definitely run with that! I am a mom of 2 kids (ages 3 and 1) and we are a vegetarian family (vegan, as of a few months ago). I have done quite a lot of research about the adequacy of vegetarian diets for children and am convinced that it is a very healthy way for them to eat. We are ethical vegans so I am completely opposed to spending any of our family dollars on animal products. When they are older, we will probably do like your boyfriend suggests - keep a veggie home but allow them to make their own decision while away from home.

When I first began raising veggie children, I found the following link very reassuring. It is the official position paper of the ADA (American Dietetic Association) on the healthfulness of vegetarian and vegan diets. Here is an excerpt from the section on veg diets for infants and children:

Quote:
Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence. Vegetarian diets offer a number of nutritional benefits, including lower levels of saturated fat, cholesterol, and animal protein as well as higher levels of carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals. Vegetarians have been reported to have lower body mass indices than nonvegetarians, as well as lower rates of death from ischemic heart disease; vegetarians also show lower blood cholesterol levels; lower blood pressure; and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer.
Here's the link to the full article: http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm

Good luck! If you have any specific concerns about nutrients, there are a lot of people here who can answer questions and some good veg nutrition books we can recommend.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I would just watch what kind of fish you're giving your children and how much and how often because of mercury content. You can easily google which fish have the most/least mercury.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklexxx View Post

Am i being far stopping my children having meat at home? I'm not sure what else i can do apart from giving it to them at home and feeling ill myself!

Any advice, thanks
As a parent, you get to decide what to feed your children at home. My daughter is 11; she eats vegetarian food I prepare (and loves it) when she is with me. At her mom's house, she gets omni food. I also think it is a good idea to not come on strong to kids about not eating meat - that may just provoke rebellion or resentment.

I think in your case, the only issue would be if your 9yo has favorite meat foods and feels that the new rules are unfair or mean. I'm not sure how to handle that - it would depend on how intense an issue it was for the child, I guess. I would be willing to compromise some to spare yourselves constant contention, while at the same time emphasize veg food that the kids enjoy. If it's things like hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, just do veg alternatives. They're not exactly the same, but most kids are into these things for the condiments and fun factor, more than the actual meat.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
My 10 year old daughter has no problems eating veggie at home. She can eat meat outside the home if she wants, but I don't bring it into the home, much less cook it for her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the the great replies. I've explained it to my 9 year old and he was absolutely fine with it. He knows he can choose meat when outside of home and hes happy with that.... My 2 year old, knows mummy doesnt eat meat...but she's never really liked meat anyway, in almost all forms so i dont think she'll notice.... Heres to a meat free house

1 - 10 of 10 Posts