VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
BTW, if anyone from or around NJ is interested, the New Jersey Animal Rights Alliance is having their 20th anniversary conference coming up soon:

http://www.nj-ara.org/conference.htm

New Jersey Animal Rights Alliance Presents Our 20th Anniversary Conference

Animal Rights: New Jersey IssuesNew Jersey Activism

Saturday, October 25, 2003 Raritan Valley Community College, Somerville, NJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,982 Posts
Anyone from central jersey, somerset county? I've lived here my whole life (14 years, not too long) and its ok, sometimes I just wish I could go live in California or someplace else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
One day, when I finally loose it and can't stand being here anymore, I'm going to drive east all the way to the ocean. You know, just pick up and go for the weekend or whatever. I just looked on the map days ago and realized if I did that from where I live I'd end up in New Jersey. They have a board walk there don't they? Wonder how long it'd take to get from Northern Ohio to Jersey to see the Ocean?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,982 Posts
It would take a long time, and yes there are many boardwalks. If you're plannign on ever visiting the shore I would suggest Wildwood, its my favorite. In terms of a town/beach, suprisingly, atlantic city is filthy, crime ridden and not very nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
I've heard that about Atlantic City. I don't believe I'd want to go there. I'd just like to sit by the ocean and listen and watch. Just sit and let the world pass me by. I'd bring my paints and sketch pad too. It would be wonderful! I'd get one of those big floppy beach hats like you see in the movies. I'd probably take someone really close to me with me or I'd go it alone..haven't decided yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
I don't know how long it would take from Northern Ohio, but it took me about 12 hours to drive to see my sister who lives near Cincinnati. As far as beaches go, I would also suggest Wildwood (it's about 40 miles south of Atlantic City). Their beach is huge, and it's free. I think their boardwalk is about a mile long. If you're vegetarian, you'll do okay for eating with pizza and stuff, but if you're vegan, good luck. Same with all the boardwalks in NJ....they all pretty much have the same kind of food (burgers, cheesesteaks, ice cream, etc.).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankittykat View Post

I don't know how long it would take from Northern Ohio, but it took me about 12 hours to drive to see my sister who lives near Cincinnati. As far as beaches go, I would also suggest Wildwood (it's about 40 miles south of Atlantic City). Their beach is huge, and it's free. I think their boardwalk is about a mile long. If you're vegetarian, you'll do okay for eating with pizza and stuff, but if you're vegan, good luck. Same with all the boardwalks in NJ....they all pretty much have the same kind of food (burgers, cheesesteaks, ice cream, etc.).
I love the Ocean City boardwalk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
I live in south jersey near Philadelphia. I have made a list of all the veg or veg friendly places I know about. I have been to most, not all though here they are:

Hing Far Chinese Resteraunt

7519 Maple Ave.

Pennsauken, NJ 08109

856-662-5882

Golden Teapot

1750 White Horse Plaza

Mercerville Rd.

Hamilton, NJ 08619

609-890-4881

Essene Market and Cafe

719 S. 4th St

Philadelphia, pa 19147

215-922-1146

www.essenemarket.com

Gianna's Grille

507 S. 6th Street

Philadelphia, Pa.

215-829-GG4U

www.giannasgrille.com

Horizons Cafe

101 East Moreland Road

Willow Grove, PA 19090

215-657-2100

http://www.horizonscafe.com/main.asp

Singapore Vegetarian resteraunt

1006 Race St.

Philadelphia, Pa 19107

or

Singapore Vegetarian resteraunt

Centrum Shoppes

219 Haddonfield-Berlin Rd (Rt 561)

Cherry Hill, NJ 19107

Singapore is all vegetarian with about 150 menu items.

Veggieworks

817 Belmar Plz

Belmar, NJ 07719

732-280-1141

Kind Cafe

724 North 3rd Street

Philadelphia, PA 19123

215-922-KIND (5463)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Gianna's Grille

507 S. 6th Street

Philadelphia, Pa.

215-829-GG4U

www.giannasgrille.com

Singapore Vegetarian resteraunt

1006 Race St.

Philadelphia, Pa 19107

or

Singapore Vegetarian resteraunt

Centrum Shoppes

219 Haddonfield-Berlin Rd (Rt 561)

Cherry Hill, NJ 19107
I absolutely LOVE the vegan pizza at Gianna's. I believe they make their own vegan cheese, and it is out of this world. Their vegan cheesesteaks & eggplant parms are good also. I heard that the Singapore in Cherry Hill is going to start serving meat
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankittykat View Post

I absolutely LOVE the vegan pizza at Gianna's. I believe they make their own vegan cheese, and it is out of this world. Their vegan cheesesteaks & eggplant parms are good also. I heard that the Singapore in Cherry Hill is going to start serving meat
.
I hadnt heard that yet and havent seen any signs or advertisements. Actually it doesnt make any sense since the resteraunt name has vegetarian in it. Unless of the owner is selling the Cherry Hill one to someone else.

Anyhow its still one of the greatest places Ive been too, over 150 vegetarian menu items and I have yet to be disappointed. Id still go there. Plus its only 10 minutes from where I live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
For anybody in North Jersey who's interested, April 17th at 4PM I will be hosting a vegan pot luck at my home in West Milford. If you are interested email me at dstringf (at) optonline.net for directions, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

I've heard that about Atlantic City. I don't believe I'd want to go there.
I went down to AC for the first time last summer. It is crappy! Don't bother. If casino glitz is what you want, just go to Las Vegas, which is much nicer and tons of stuff to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

I hadnt heard that yet and havent seen any signs or advertisements. Actually it doesnt make any sense since the resteraunt name has vegetarian in it. Unless of the owner is selling the Cherry Hill one to someone else.

Anyhow its still one of the greatest places Ive been too, over 150 vegetarian menu items and I have yet to be disappointed. Id still go there. Plus its only 10 minutes from where I live.
The last time a veggie place in NJ started serving meat they ended up closing down. So we'll see what happens in this case. You're lucky you have a place only 10 minutes from you....I hope what I heard about them isn't true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstringf View Post

I went down to AC for the first time last summer. It is crappy! Don't bother. If casino glitz is what you want, just go to Las Vegas, which is much nicer and tons of stuff to do.
Definitely! AC is the pits IMO.....Vegas is the best. I'd rather take the 5 hour plane ride to go to Vegas than the 2 hour car ride for AC anyday (as if I have that kind of money anyway
).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankittykat View Post

The last time a veggie place in NJ started serving meat they ended up closing down. So we'll see what happens in this case. You're lucky you have a place only 10 minutes from you....I hope what I heard about them isn't true.
They probably were already on the way out if they resorted to serving meat.

What place was it?

There was a place called Evergreen that was also near me that lasted a few years, closed down and came back as "Asian Delights". They then served a regular Japanese/Asian menu with a small veg section on it. This incarnation lasted less than a year. Now its just a plain Sushi Bar. I expect it wont be around nearly as long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

They probably were already on the way out if they resorted to serving meat.

What place was it?

There was a place called Evergreen that was also near me that lasted a few years, closed down and came back as "Asian Delights". They then served a regular Japanese/Asian menu with a small veg section on it. This incarnation lasted less than a year. Now its just a plain Sushi Bar. I expect it wont be around nearly as long.
I can't remember the name but it was a town near Parsippany. You might be right about them being on the way out beforehand because there was already a popular vegan chinese restaurant in Parsipanny when they opened, so I guess they were too close to each other to be able to sustain a big following. I was at Evergreen once, shortly before they closed. I hate when these places close since there's already too few veg places in NJ (considering there's more in NYC than in our whole state).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Greetings from another NJ person -- I live in Morris County. I think the restaurant you're trying to remember was in Lake Hiawatha, but I'm not totally positive. I've been to Veggie Heaven in Parsippany, btw -- not bad but some of the dishes seem to be a little sweet. There's also a restaurant in Denville, Metro Cafe. Although it is not strictly a veg place, they had quite a number of vegetarian and vegan dishes the last time I was there (admittedly quite a while ago). Recently returned from a trip out to L.A., visiting my eldest son. Now there's a veg friendly town...

Shalom,

Gail
 
21 - 40 of 288 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top