VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just went cold-turkey vegan on sunday after I was more than repulsed by a peta video...at breakfast that day I would have laughed while I ate my bacon if anyone had said "pending about 11:30am, you'll be vegan!"

not too many people close to me have been supportive, and while I have no desire for any animal products, I was having trouble finding stuff to eat in my meat-loving cheese-loving house hold...I decided I needed help/suport so through the magic of google, I ended up here! ^.^

I look forward to meeting new people, learning about lotsa new stuff and asking questions.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome to VB! Congrats on going veg! I've been in a very similar situation to yours, so I know how you feel. I also went vegan cold-'tofurky' almost two years ago and also didn't have much support from my family and friends. It gets better though, I promise!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your move to go vegan!

I went cold tofurkey as well just over a year ago and I tell you what ... the first few months were tough. Part of it was egg withdrawals [which I thought was weird because I didn't even eat a lot of eggs at any point in my life] and part of it was finding vegan food and discovering what I liked.

A couple of my saviours were Amy's non-dairy burritos and Amy's tofu scramble in a pocket sandwich. These tided me over until I found other foods I enjoyed as well. Be careful, though! Amy's tofu scramble is crazy-addictive.

I just got Vegan With A Vengeance and I think it's a marvelous cookbook, with around 150 recipes and the recipes are cheap and aren't too tough to make. This is great for beginners because since these recipes don't cost a fortune you can make it and if you don't like it then you're not out $50 on one dish. Isa also has Punk Points, which are little tips she gives about preparing the dish.

I don't get a lot of support except from my beau, who is going to start eating some vegan dishes with me. He is also a meat and cheese addict.

Best of luck with your new venture! Look around for local health food stores. The people there will most likely be knowledgeable and be able to help you get on the right track.

Also, you can look to see if there is a Whole Foods in your area.

·
Registered
897 Posts
you landed in the right place. there are a ton of threads containing recipes, nutrional info, how to deal, etc. great support network. welcome.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! You'll find plenty of advice for you here - recipies, companies, news - even just people to chat to. Have fun!!

pirate x

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone...it's great to have people telling me it's the right choice, because mom and dad keep telling me it's "stupid"

I went to Earthfare (organic supermarket thingy) and got lots of stuff for me to eat, and when I got home mom was like "how much did that cost?"

and I was like "$37.41?" (cheaper than all the times I went shopping back when I ate meat) and she laughed in my face and said "You can pay for all of your food, don't expect me to chip in at all"....then I said "yeah, so I'll pay for my food, I don't care"...and she got really mad. and threatened to kick me out of the house again.

she's normally a rational person, usually suportive, I don't know why she's so upset...any tips on how to...neutralize...the tension without compromising my new found values?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Welcome to VB and to the rest of your life as a vegan!

I have to second the recommendation for VWAV.

If you're looking for other books, Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina was my bible- Incredibly helpful. VB is the other amazing resource- you'll find lot's of support and awnsers to any questions you might have here.

Good luck, and when it gets challenging (and it will) just remember what you are doing is the best thing for your health, conscience, the animals and the planet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts