VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am recently veg. actually the past 30 days (tomorrow) my husband and I have been on a vegan diet. It has been an eye opening experience and I can see that we have really turned a corner where our health is concerned and we will NOT go back to our old poor eating habits...I'll stay veg but not vegan.<br><br><br><br>
Anyway, I have been reading this board quite a bit and after the vegan run did not provide any weightloss which I had hoped for, I am looking at incorporating more of a raw way of eating.<br><br><br><br>
Now I have 4 kids and realistically can't see myself going 100% raw, but I certainly can during the day and then just eat a healthful dinner. So that is what I have been doing the last 3 days. Now my question...I keep feeling like I have low bloodsugar and need to pop some crackers, pita bread, or SOMETHING into my mouth. I don't know if this will pass if I can just stick it out, or if this is really what my body needs or if I am just thinking about it too much because I am so used to eating so many carbsy snack foods.<br><br><br><br>
Can anyone give me any insight as to transitioning and what I should expect?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am not quite sure if I can provide complete transitioning advice but I would say that if you feel you have low blood sugar than the better thing for you, would be to drink some freshly squeeze orange juice.<br><br><br><br>
You might just be craving the carby snacky foods as you said. Instead of popping the breads, you could try some raw breads or pop fruit or veggies. If you ate alot of the snacky carbs before, you could have a little bit of a food addiction and once you really start phasing them out - the cravings should eventually lessen.<br><br><br><br>
It isn't that your body NEEDS them, it is that your body craves them because you are not having them anymore (make sense?) Sort of like when someone quits smoking in a way. For some people, once you don't have it for a while, you don't crave it anymore (I am like this) - for others, they don't have problem and can quit things with no cravings.<br><br><br><br>
Give your body time to adjust. If you are having a really hard time phasing out those snacky carbs then just start cutting them down slowly and add more raw stuff as you cut out each snacky carb.<br><br><br><br>
Oh, also, I would check out some of the raw food sites that are listed by jenna in one of the other raw food threads here. I know I have been to raw food sites that will suggest raw food subs for what you crave. I'll look for it and post it if I find it. Can't remember it off hand now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you may be right about the food addiction. I ahve always relied on carb-t snacks to carry me thru and I think there is going to be a bit of a transition peroid for me.<br><br><br><br>
Glad to know that it is not just me or my blood sugar issues at play...at least if I know it is something that I need to work thru it gives me strength to push thru the uncomfortable feeling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts