VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to barge in with this, folks...

My nine year old daughter's armpits are really awful smelling lately. We are vegetarian (not vegan--we eat a little cheese and yogurt). She is very active, soccer and dance and plays hard, rarely sits around, is in 3rd grade. I've noticed this sort of thing with some of the other children I know that are a bit heavy, but my daughter is very thin. I have her using a natural deoderant (I think it's by Jason) but it doesn't seem to work... am thinking of trying the deoderant stone for her, which is what my husband and I use.

Anyway... I guess I feel a little concerned that she has armpit odor this young. It just seems awfully young to me, especially when we have such a natural diet and she consumes no meat, milk, or unnatural stuff. She's my oldest & my mum isn't around to ask about this stuff, and I can't remember at all when I started using deoderant. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My nephew had body odor when he was 8...the first time that I ever smelled it on myself was during my driving exam at 16. I think it really varies...

I know kids don't always wash themselves really well...your daughter needs to scrub the area from her ribs - almost to her elbow... (Not just the armpits) if it were my kid, I would do a smell test in the tub, right then to make sure she has washed the smell away.

Sorry, I don't know much about deodorants...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Sometimes, armpit odor can be a result of a deficiency, such as zinc. Has she been tested for any?

It might just be hormones, I started around 9 ( development and such )

·
Registered
878 Posts
people smell when they sweat because there is bacteria and the sweating makes it smell - does that make sense ?

well anyways so its basically like the more dirty the more stinky well when puberty hits but shes kinda young but still

so make sure she showers and maybe just her a deoderant that smells nice and some body spray maybe

·
Registered
811 Posts
She's hit puberty - start watching for the other 2nd degree sex characteristics. She may have started to grow some light pubic and underarm hair. The hair tends to trap bacteria and promote smells. Sorry - it's probably just going to get worse. I am an athlete, and I have a very bad problem with sweating and smelling. I HATE to gell you this, but none of the natural antipersperant/deoderants have worked for me. The one that probably was the most effective was one that had Tea Tree oil in it AS WELL as this special clay (can't remember what it is). I have tried them all. The rock, the deoderant sticks with algea, with clay alone, with Tea Tree oil alone, with all kinds of stuff. If she is like this you are probably going to have to go for the real stuff with Aluminum Chlorhidrates in it. I like the Arm and Hammer, and the Dove. It probably isn't a deficiency....she just growing up! Scary as it is, the average age of the first menstuation has gotten lower and lower and girls as early as 7, 8, and 9 are starting their periods. I believe the average onset is a ridiculously low 11 years old now (geeze - I started when I was 15!). Good luck!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Arm pit odor starts some time during puberty.

It is due to 2 things working together (1) the fact that newly being produced sex hormones change the nature of armpit exocrine (glandular) secretions, and (2) the fact that "beneficial" bacteria that live in the armpit consume and metabolize the exocrine secretions. The beneficial bacteria hold the pathogenic bacteria in check. Therefore killing the harmless bacteria may tend to result in skin infections (tho usually it doesn't). Both over-washing and use of bacteriacidal deodorants, may be damaging this way, because they kill more beneficial bacteria than they kill pathogenic bacteria.

The exocrine secretions, and the metabolites produced by beneficial bacteria, may or may not be pheremones, no-one is really sure.

The point i wanted to make is that (1) it is not just bacteria, it is bacteria metabolizing new hormones that weren't being produced before. (2) Killing the bacteria or removing the secretion or both is nec to reduce odor. (3) these bacteria are considered beneficial in that they prevent overgrowth of harmful bacteria, so killing them should be done sparingly, or in moderation. Deodorants kill the beneficial bacteria and not the harmful bacteria. Washing removes the secretions but they can come right back in minutes, and bacteria can work on them enough to produce odor, within an hours or so.

Yes physical activity increases the amount of exocrne secretions. So does mental stress.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
No-one knows for sure the cause of early menstruation but it has sometimes been thought to be related to large amounts of dairy products in the diet, as well as bovine flesh, esp commercial dairy products from cows treated with hormones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts