VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I want to follow the "plant-based whole foods" diet as described in FOK. I've bought the book, as well as the Mcdougall quick and easy cook book.

First, what are the real differences between this diet, and a vegan diet? Is there much of a difference?

Also, i downloaded "animal-free" app and compared ingredients to those that were listed in the non dairy milks- rice, soy, almond, coconut. All that I saw had some of those questionable ingredients in them, such as calcium phosphate and vitamin A, for example. How would someone like me know what's acceptable and what's not, especially for ingredients like these that could be from a vegan source, OR an animal source? Would ANY of these milks be good for the diet we're wanting to do?

I've already made three recipes from these books, and am excited to keep learning more, so any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I haven't read FOK, but from reading other books about plant-based whole foods diets, I would imagine that there's 2 main differences.

First, being vegan is more than a diet, it's living a cruel free life. This extends beyond diet, such as in clothing and furnishings etc, and just your general ethics. Someone could follow a plant-based diet while consuming no animal products and still not be considered vegan.

Also, since you said whole foods diet, this probably encourages eating mostly whole grains and whole fruit/veg etc w/o a lot of additives or chemicals. Someone could be vegan and still not eat well if they eat a lot of junk food, processed grains and consume much produce.

I can see how it's confusing though, there is a lot of overlap. Being vegetarian and now vegan has led me to eat much much healthier. I'm not on a strict whole foods diet, but eat mostly whole grains and eat a lot of veggies and rarely have processed foods. I'm imagining that most vegans eat much healthier than the average omnivore.

keep trying new foods and it will just get easier. always a big change at first to change your lifestyle so much, especially if it was a quick change. post on VB anytime u have questions!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumy View Post

First, being vegan is more than a diet, it's living a cruel free life. This extends beyond diet, such as in clothing and furnishings etc, and just your general ethics. Someone could follow a plant-based diet while consuming no animal products and still not be considered vegan.

keep trying new foods and it will just get easier. always a big change at first to change your lifestyle so much, especially if it was a quick change. post on VB anytime u have questions!
Thanks for the reply. For me, it's more of a cruelty thing, but I've never had enough support for me to overcome my will power until now. My husband wants to do this for health reasons, and I never though he would try it, so I can only hope that we help encourage and support each other so we can stick to it.

This is pretty much a quick change for us. The past few days I've been making recipes from those two books, BUT we still have some things in the house we don't want to go to waste, so we are also tryingto use those up. Our plan is to start exclusively on monday. I'm really looking forward to it!

·
Registered
596 Posts
A plant-based diet is a diet that could be exactly the same as a vegan diet or just a diet mostly based on plants, but either way, it is not the same as veganism.

i.e: if you are only interested in eating healthily as opposed to ethically, you do not really need to worry about the type of calcium or whether the vitamin d is from a d2 or d3 source.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
If you are new to veganism, you may not be aware that B12 is not available in vegetables. The best source is from nutritional yeast (just make sure it contains B12 because not all nutritional yeast does).

This is the brand I have and it's good:
http://www.amazon.com/KAL-Yeast-Flak...uct/B00020HV1E

It has a cheesy kind of flavor. It's good on popcorn, pasta, soups, etc.

Also, this would be a good opportunity to try other culture's foods like Indian, Thai, Ethiopian, Vietnamese, Indonesian, etc. I used to be closed-minded about food and only ate burgers and pizza. Going veg made me try all these and now I eat a much wider variety of food than I did before going veg. My favorites right now are Ethiopian and Indian. So good...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a can of that yeast stuff today, looks just like the picture in that link. I told the lady I needed nutritional yeast and this is what she told me to get. Now I just noticed that the back says it's brewer's yeast. The different in the front of mine it is says "Imported", not "Nutritional", so I'm going to take this stuff back.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapatioQueen View Post

I'm pretty sure brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast are the same thing.
Nope. Brewer's yeast is a byproduct of brewing, and while it may have some nutrients, the vitamins and flavor won't be the same as nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a special strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae that is grown for its nutritional value.

Not all nutritional yeast is fortified with B12 either, so you'll have to read labels carefully if you are counting on it as a source of B12.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,
I am working on going vegan. I say working because tho I've been at it for a while I fall off the wagon some times. I suggest checking out the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine 21 Day Vegan Kickstart. It really helped me the first go around and they're starting a round on Monday. In terms of plant milks you can make them yourself pretty easily just google for recipes. Some books that really help me are Vegan For Life, The Happy Herbivore Cookbook, Breaking the Food Seduction, The China Study, and How to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. Some good websites are fat free vegan, pcrm, and happy herbivore. All have recipes and other helpful info. Oh and MacDougall*sp* has a recipe site as well. The only vitamin that doesn't naturally acur in a vegan diet is B12 so you can eather use fortified foods such as nutritional yeast whitch makes awsome cheese sauce btw or a vegan multi vitamin. Sorry for such a long post but I hope some of it helps.

Audrey

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krl0309 View Post

I bought a can of that yeast stuff today, looks just like the picture in that link. I told the lady I needed nutritional yeast and this is what she told me to get. Now I just noticed that the back says it's brewer's yeast. The different in the front of mine it is says "Imported", not "Nutritional", so I'm going to take this stuff back.
Brewer's yeast is not the same thing. Nutritional yeast is extremely good for you. I'm surprised it's not more popular than it is. Everyone should have it in their shelves.

Also look into chia seeds. They contain lots of omega 3 fatty acids. It's very good in preventing heart disease. I take a teaspoon of them every day. No heart attacks yet...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice and sharing of other resources!

About the yeast, I didn't think they were the same thing since she told me the brewer's yeast was in the other aisle. I tested allergic to brewer's yeast anyway. Doc. Said it wasn't so bad thT i'd have to avoid it completely, but if i'm already feeling bad then to avoid it. I'm going to try to return this stuff and get the right thing!

I picked up some vanilla almond milk, and some soy french vanilla coffee creamer. I have tried the dark chocolate almond milk and it's pretty good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand. I think it's pretty natural to fall off the wagon when trying to make a change from something most of us have been raised doing our entire lives. That's why if i ever do have a child, he/she will be raised vegetarian, or as close to eating vegan as possible, until of course they are old enough to understand and decide for themselves.

·
Registered
468 Posts
glad to see that you are approaching this with an open mind and you're willing to try new foods krl...I think you'll do well w/ that attitude. sometimes eating vegan is easier than it seems...a lot of dishes can be made but just w/o the meat. cheese can be omitted from nearly any recipe and it will still be good, and milk is easily replaced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.