VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...these boards are awesome!
Hi, all...this is my first time posting here, so be gentle, please...
I was actually wondering if anyone had any advice about going veg when you are pregnant? I had been slowly taking steps towards cutting animal products out of my diet when I found out I was pg (currently 16 weeks now), and since then I've kinda slacked off because I wasn't sure it was a good idea. But, I'm getting to the point that I can't STAND to even look at meat or fish...quite honestly, the thought of it makes me gag much of the time. My doc says it shouldn't be a problem as long as I keep eating enough calories and make sure I get a balance of foods, but beyond that she didn't offer a whole lot of help. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

--Allie

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It should be FINE.
I was mistakenly told that I could not be a pregnant & healthy vegetarian so I went back to eating meat. And then I was nursing and same thing. Then pregnant and nursing again (LOL~ 5 years straight, now, pregnant and/or nursing!)

Anyway... The things to worry about are calcium, healthy fat, protein, and iron. Iron especially while pregnant. Even the average woman can get anemic while pregnant.

Taking a prenatal vitamin is a great place to start. You'll be getting your calcium and iron through that, even if you are accidentally low in your diet for those 2.

Calcium foods:

Black Beans 1 cup, 120 mg calcium

Navy Beans\t1 cup, 130 mg calcium

Fortified Cereal\t1 cup, 300 mg calcium

Soybeans, cooked \t1 cup, 180 mg calcium

Spinach, cooked \t1/2 cup, 130 mg calcium

Bok Choy\t1/2 cup, 80 mg calcium

Kale, cooked\t1/2 cup, 90 mg calcium

Corn Tortilla\t1, 6 inch, 50 mg calcium

Greens, mustard \t1/2 cup, 100 mg calcium

Fortified Orange Juice\t1 cup, 300 mg calcium

Fortified Cereal \t1 cup, 300 mg

Waffle, fortified\t1, 150 mg

Soy milk, fortified\t1 cup, 400 mg

Greens, mustard\t1/2 cup, 100 mg

Tofu \t1 cup, 40 mg

Almonds\t2 oz., 150 mg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Iron foods:

List of Grains Rich in Iron: \tIron (mg.)

Brown rice, 1 cup cooked \t0.8

Whole wheat bread, 1 slice \t0.9

Wheat germ, 2 tablespoons \t1.1

English Muffin, 1 plain \t1.4

Oatmeal, 1 cup cooked \t1.6

Total cereal, 1 ounce \t18.0

Cream of Wheat, 1 cup \t10.0

Pita, whole wheat, 1 slice/piece, 6 ½ inch \t1.9

Spaghetti, enriched, 1 cup, cooked \t2.0

Raisin bran cereal, 1 cup \t6.3

List of Iron Rich Legumes, Seeds, and Soy: \t

Sunflower seeds, 1 ounce \t1.4

Soy milk, 1 cup \t1.4

Kidney beans, ½ cup canned \t1.6

Chickpeas, ½ cup, canned \t1.6

Tofu, firm, ½ cup \t1.8

Soy burger, 1 average \t1.8 to 3.9*

List of Vegetables Rich in Iron: \t

Broccoli, ½ cup, boiled \t0.7

Green beans, ½ cup, boiled \t0.8

Lima beans, baby, frozen, ½ cup, boiled \t1.8

Beets, 1 cup \t1.8

Peas, ½ cup frozen, boiled \t1.3

Potato, fresh baked, cooked w/skin on \t4.0

Vegetables, green leafy, ½ cup \t2.0

Watermelon, 6 inch x ½ inch slice \t3.0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Protein foods (more than you'd think!
)

Large Egg \t7 grams/egg

Milk \t8 grams/cup

Cheese (eg. Cheddar) \t7 grams/ounce

Bread \t4 grams/slice

Cereal \t4 grams/1/2 cup

Vegetables \t2 grams/ 1/2 cup

Soybeans (dry) \t10 grams/ounce

Peanuts \t7 grams/ounce

Lentils (dry) \t6.5 grams/ounce

Red beans \t6 grams/ounce

Baked potato \t9 grams/8 ounces

Cashews \t5 grams/ounce

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

healthy fats: (couldn't find a comprehensive list, I'm sure others can add to mine)

avocados

olive oil

extra virgin olive oil

nuts

seeds

flax seed, ground (sprinkle on other foods or cook in, though the less-heated, the better)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Basically, cook in oil or steam veggies, eat 2-3 veggies per main meal, have 1 starch per meal (beans, potato, rice, pasta), handful of nuts as a snack, etc.

If you aren't dropping eggs and dairy now (or ever) you'll find the hardest part is figuring out what to make as a rounded meal.

Starch & 2 veggies is what I shoot for. Potato, broccoli, carrots. Rice, stir fry. Pasta with chunky garden veggie sauce & a salad. Enchilada with rice, corn, beans, and spinach. The possibilities are endless!

HTH, and welcome!!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Welcome to VB! I'm sorry I don't have any advice, but lots of VB women have shown it's perfectly possible to be healthy, veg, and pregnant all at the same time. You might want to try the 'raising vegetarian children' forum (even if your kids aren't going to be veg, it often has great advice about vegetarian pregnancies)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Becca! That's very helpful! I'm not giving up dairy or eggs just yet, although someday in the future I'd like to. I can't drink milk, but cheese, yogurt and other dairy products don't bother me, so that will help w/ the protein...thanks again!

Isowish -- I'm not sure if I'm going to raise my children veg or not...I would really like to, but my meat-and-potatoes hubby might take a little convincing! I have a 6yr old daughter also, and luckily for me, she LOVES veggies and fruit and will pretty much eat whatever you put in front of her (I have NO idea how I got that lucky, but I'm not complaining! LOL) so I don't think she'd be a hard sell. And I know it would probably be even easier w/ the new baby once he/she starts solids to just never introduce meat. I don't think extended family will be much of a problem either (at least my half)...even though none of them are veg, they live a very healthy lifestyle, so I don't think they'd fight me on the issue.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurinia View Post

Isowish -- I'm not sure if I'm going to raise my children veg or not...I would really like to, but my meat-and-potatoes hubby might take a little convincing! I have a 6yr old daughter also, and luckily for me, she LOVES veggies and fruit and will pretty much eat whatever you put in front of her (I have NO idea how I got that lucky, but I'm not complaining! LOL) so I don't think she'd be a hard sell. And I know it would probably be even easier w/ the new baby once he/she starts solids to just never introduce meat. I don't think extended family will be much of a problem either (at least my half)...even though none of them are veg, they live a very healthy lifestyle, so I don't think they'd fight me on the issue.
oh, I wasn't particularly asking about you raising your kids veg, I'm not that nosy! I just didn't want you to be put off my the forum title if you weren't

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha...no problem! I'd love to check out that forum...is it on this board? If not, do you have a link?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Good to meet you, and good luck! I wish I had some advice to post, but I think its been covered! Just continue to eat as balanced a diet as you can - you will know if you feel unhealthy. All the best!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Welcome to VB!

There are some users here who are also currently pregnant, and there are discussions on this board about being veg and pregnant. I can't point you to any specific thread, but if you put "pregnant" into the VB search engine, you should find some matches. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.