VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all! after lurking around the boards for months, i've finally registered! i'm non-japanese living in japan and i've been trying my best for 4 years to remain vegetarian here! (it's hard!)

i'd love to chat with anyone in or out of japan with an interest in japan and japanese foods!

i look forward to making new friends here :)

thank you!

sedmi

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nice to meet you. Are you in school there? What are the biggest differences from where you left and Japan?

Welcome!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
evita, w_o_e and strix, thank you all! it's nice to meet you, too :)

w_o_e: i'm in shimonoseki, at the very bottom of the main island honshu, just across the strait from kyushu. i never intended to stay more than a year but now it's been four!! how about you? where were you and what were you doing here?

strix: hi! i'm here teaching english (like so many others here!) and enjoying the mountains and sea! there are sooo many differences but one example is that while people here are extremely kind and welcoming to me, it is done in a more reserved and shy way while back home (texas) people are kind and welcoming in a warmer, louder and open way! oh, and the tofu here is _much_ better!! :p

i want to let any veg*ns who are in or will soon be in japan to know about a couple of handy resources. i don't know if this is the place, but i'll post again elsewhere if needed!

first, there is Tengu Natural Foods

http://www.alishan-organic-center.com/en/tengu/

great place to order natural and organic foods from japan and abroad; quick delivery within japan!

second, there is the "Guide to Being and Remaining Vegetarian in Japan" (can be ordered from Tengu)

this is a fascinating guide with detailed descriptions and sketches of japanese foods and cooking supplies; also includes 100+ recipes containing ingredients that can easily be found in japan; this is my BIBLE!!! (this book is great even for people who are not living in japan, but want to learn about japanese foods - especially vegetables!

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
JapANIm(E)aniac...(thats me/myself & I introducing myself to you!)

I'm a fan of japanese!!!
I am learning Japanese with someone

here already as matter of fact... but you can join in too if you like.

Its cool to have you here...
and if you switch the site colour tab preferences to blue you can be even cooler, its a new feature!

Enjoy!... Plus, as soon as I saw the word "japanese" I put you straight onto my personal *VB Buddy List* along with about half the population here
(Anyone can do it, so add me to yours too please!)... ^__^

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Welcome, Sedmikraska!!

You're living my dream!
SOMEday I'll be teaching English out there, too. For now I've got to be content with teaching English in the States.

Hope you like it here,

Mskedi

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ferti, first buddy on my list! Thanks for the greeting! I am curious as to how you are learning Japanese - is it a course?

Ms, hi :) I like it here a lot! I can learn so many things and it is a comfort to have people with similar diets to chat with! I've been vegetarian for probably 16 years, with some relapses here and there, but i never felt weird about it until i came to japan! :-(

Still, you should definitely come here! There are so many job opportunities for teachers and I'd be glad to help you in any way!

Hi alpaca guy! Everyone here is so friendly and full of info! Thanks for the warm welcome :)

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
sedmi,

You've been veg twice as long as me!

I am hoping to go as soon as a year from this summer, and hopefully no later than two years from now. Are you living there permanently, or are you on a long contract? My district was offering a two-year teaching contract in our sister city in Japan (I can't remember which city off hand), and there are lots of independent three month contracts floating around. A two-month contract would be ideal, though I haven't seen one of those yet. I'm glad to hear there's lots of job opportunities!

Did you have to get your TOEFL? Most the contracts I've seen don't require that for Japan -- just curious.

Take care,

Mskedi

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Hi Sedmi -

I live in Japan too - I'm near Yokohama (in Ayase-shi).

I've lived here just over 6 years (and STILL don't speak Japanese)

THANK YOU FOR THE LINK!!!!

(you may find various posts here and there from me lamenting the vegan shopping options here in Japan *s*)

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello, and welcome. I too live in Japan... down in Kyushu. I came here on a two year contract wondering if I would last and now 20 years later (that`s no typo... it`s 20) I`m still here. I came over a veggie and have remained so but it`s VERY difficult. Out in restaurants I eat a lot of white rice.... and haven`t been able to sample the local fresh sea food... BUT... I do have a lot of great cookbooks and have taken advantage of some resources you mentioned... Tengu.... FBC.... and now with COSTCO here, even more stuff.

and you are right, the tofu is excellent!!!! and just yesterday the neighbor gave me bamboo shoots and today I got a great big bag of green peas (gonna make some green pea rice)

anyway. hope to hear more from you and also you others in Japan.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts

When I saw this intro thread was 2 pages, I wondered how on earth I'd missed this newbie's intro. Then I opened it up.

Dudes, this is a three year old thread, and the OP's account has since been closed!

Shouldn't there be a policy on VB that intro threads should be closed after a certain period of time?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts