VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/06/367...h-federal.html

The USDA's new plate icon, as well as the department's recently released dietary guidelines, advise Americans to limit high-fat products like meat and cheese. But the federal government continues to subsidize these very products with billions of tax dollars and gives almost no support to fruits and vegetables.

The federal government spends about $16 billion per year on agricultural subsidies. While more than 60 percent of agricultural subsidies in recent history have directly and indirectly supported meat and dairy production, less than 1 percent has gone to fruits and vegetables.

It's clear that the federal government understands that the latest nutrition research supports a shift toward plant-centered diets to help fight heart disease, cancer, obesity, and the other chronic diseases that are killing so many Americans. The dietary guidelines recommend eating more fruits, vegetables and whole grains - and even include full sections outlining the benefits of vegetarian and vegan diets. But the government is still having trouble putting its money where its mouth is.

I don't really understand why their are these kind of subsidies anyways?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I don't know anything really about these farm subsidies. I'm sure there are people on this board who know more.

Here in California they advertize a lot on the TV about "family" dairy farms. Of coarse the advertizements are upsetting to me and I don't look at the TV. Last weekend at the Farm Sanctuary Hoe Down, Gene Baur, during his talk, said they had stopped on the Just Eats Tour and took some pictures of dairy cows and the dairy owner saw them and became angry. Gene Baur said this man is a victim of the industry too. This is probably all he knows and this is all he knows what to do with his land. Sad as that may be. I wonder if farmers are scared of a plant based diet. I can only assume they are.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts