VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new cat is coming to live with us today. (I haven't told the other cats yet--I don't know how they'll react.
) The cat is a neutered male who has been hanging around my sister's place for months. She's afraid the coyotes will get him. My sister has eight cats, three LARGE dogs, and a very small house, so she really can't take in another critter. I have eight cats and three dogs, but I also have more room. I had intended to let my cats live out a peaceful old age (six of them are between 14 and 17 years old) and not to bring any more cats into the household until after the oldsters are gone. But, I guess we'll cope. This guy seems to be very easy going, and I hope the household won't be too disrupted. My sister took him to the vet on Monday and had him tested for feline leukemia and aids, and I will keep him isolated for a month or so and then have him re-tested, just to make sure.

All that being said, he's long haired, a soft butterscotch color, has a very pointy face, and is extremely affectionate. If anyone has any ideas fo names, I'd appreciate hearing them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Rudy. Of course, my (feline) baby that past away June 18th of last year was named Rudy. He was different shades of red and butterscotch. Congratulations on your new edition. I give you credit...sometimes I'm overwhelmed with two. (But, we have fairly small living quarters.) Give him a big hug from me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thats great what your doing as for names well this dog i was extremly attached to at the shelter was adpoted recently i miss him with all my heart he had a bad life hopefully up till now but and his name was rye

but anyway tell us how it goes and send pic if/when ya can !

·
Registered
504 Posts
He sounds beautiful. I kind of doubt you'd like any names that I would come up with (I prefer human names). That's really nice that you're taking in another one.....and it sounds like he'll probably get along with the rest of your gang. Please post a picture of him here when you get a chance.....

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Good for you mouse! And good for your sister too!

As for names, I usually check out baby name sites and try to find something that fits the animal.

Let us know what you decide and post pictures if you can.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Butterscotch? obvious i know but i'm not very creative.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Do you already have a Mickey? mouse?

If he is a clown I'd call him whoopee

He sounds a bit too light to call him Sher Kahn (all right, I cannot spell it--the tiger in Jungle Book).

Since he was a charming wild child--Ferris

Then there is Boca

With his color there is "peaches" "curry" or "salsa" (think pineapple-peach salsa)

both your names are great. My uncle once had a cat named Liberachie (another name I cannot spell) because he was said to be the pianist (you have to say it and think, it has nothing to do with the piano).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kamila

My uncle once had a cat named Liberachie (another name I cannot spell) because he was said to be the pianist (you have to say it and think, it has nothing to do with the piano).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
No help with names (personality is so much more important than looks on that score), but I wanted to say that your new friend is adorable!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He is, isn't he?!
He's very sweet, affectionate and playful. I don't understand people who can just discard someone like him.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mouse

snip.....I don't understand people who can just discard someone like him.
Be careful what you think about the former owner. I once lost a cat for a while and had to submit to a tongue lashing to get him back because someone thought I had discarded and neglected our kitty.

He was the sweetest little boy, china blue eyes, white coat with three little gray-black spots on top of head as if he had walked under a greasy car. I think he was only about 6 weeks old when we found each other, he still wanted to nurse but the best I could do for him was to mix up canned kitten food and rehydrated kitty formula gently heated and mashed together set in a tea-cup saucer. I had to watch him the whole time he ate (as many as 5 small meals during the day and one at night) because I was afraid he would drown in his dinner. He was a mess after eating and I would have to clean him up while he napped after eating. He liked to sleep with his face inside of my youngest sons tennis shoe, unless that son was home, then he wanted to sleep with him. My boys home schooled and baby kitty came to our house in the late spring just when school would move out to the back deck. Baby kitty would climb to the top of the deck rail with ease but getting down was another problem. BK did not cry for help, he simply found a solution. Some how he managed to press his back against the aluminum siding of the house, hang onto the wooden deck railing and shinny down headfirst. Do you know how dirty aluminum siding on a house in a rain forest can get? We tried to keep BK presentable, but he could get quite grungy between baths.

BK was outside whenever the kids were out, where ever my youngest was, BK was sure to be near. He was so friendly, a neighbor kid had picked him up and carried him home, fed him some milk and the kids grandma fell in love with this "neglected" little kitty. She read me the riot act when a week and a half later one of the neighbors told us where BK was. Of course we were abusive and neglectful or he would not have been so filthy dirty. It took much explaining and holding my ground before her wrath. We only got him back because my youngest was with me and BK started yowling and clawing at the screen door trying to get to him. Twice she had her grandson take him away from the door but he kept crying pitifully for my son. When he did finally get out he climbed up my sons pant leg, sat on his shoulders with both front paws wrapped around my sons neck purring like a chain saw while rubbing and nuzzling my sons face. I thanked them for taking such good care of him, offered to help the sobbing grandchild find another kitty and took one last tongue lashing from grandma about how she did not need someone like me helping her with anything.

I don't think you are anything like that grandma (she was heart broken too), but I always caution people to not make judgment until they have heard the whole story. Love that gift while you have him. I hope he brings you so much joy and that he makes the winter years of your other friends a delight

·
Registered
765 Posts
Your cat is such a beautiful color!

My neighbors have an outside cat who is that same color and every time I see him, I can't help but admire him

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kamila, I am pretty sure he was deserted, not lost. He and his look-alike started hanging around my sister's place last year. She managed to catch the one who looks enough like him that we assume they're brothers (their coloring is unusual enough that it would be quite a large coincidence if they're not related); it was a priority for her, since that one was sick. "Willow" found a home with my sister, and is healthy, after several hundreds of dollars in vet care and several courses of antibiotics to deal with a severe respiratory infection. After months of being fed by my sister and sleeping on her porch, Sebastian was enough at ease to beg to come in, which is where I came into the picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts